~Chapter 3~

~Chapter 3~

A Chapter by GlamGirl
"

NaNoWriMo 2011

"
~

“Skylar Davis, please come to the front office for a message. Skylar to the front office,” said the principal over the PA system.


“Oh darn… What did I do now?” Skye hissed.


    He had not seen Brittany yet this morning, which was weird considering what happened yesterday. Skye followed the signs pointing to the front office, and took a seat in a plush folding chair.


“Skylar Davis?” said the school’s secretary, Ms. Wood.


“Skye,” he corrected, politely shaking her hand.


“Mr. Barbella called you down.”


“Yeah, what for?”


“Something about your former school and grades…” she trailed off, flipping through a full cabinet of files.


“What about ‘em?” said Skye, starting to get uncomfortable.


“We couldn’t find them, actually. There wasn’t even a trace that they ever existed.”


“So, what’s going to happen?” he asked anxiously.


“We’re going to have to suspend your from your classes until we find them. It is not your fault sweetheart, it is some strange miscommunication…”


   Suddenly, April walked into the room.


“Hi Ms. Wood! Oh, hey Skye!” she said, “What are you doing here? You’ve only been here for two days, how could’ve you already gotten in trouble?” she joked.


“It is his grade files, they’re missing,” said Ms. Wood, still frantically searching through file cabinet after file cabinet.


   April shot a nervous look at Skye. He bit his lip, and turned to the door just in time to see Brittany walking by. She immediately ran towards him, with the fakest smile plastered on her face.


“Hey babe!” she said, throwing her arms around him.


“Hi.”


   Skye squirmed in her arms and didn’t hug her back.


“What’s wrong sweetie? Why are you in the office?” she asked sweetly.


“I have issues with transferring my grades,” said Skye.


“What’s going to happen?” she cried.


“I’m going to be suspended I guess. They can’t record any new grades until they find my old ones. Meaning I can’t go to any classes. And what’s the point of going to school if I can’t go to any of my classes?” he said.


“That’s annoying,” said Chance, from the corner.


“What the hell? When did you get here?” said Skye.


   Chance shrugged, and changed the track on his iPod. Skye looked with wide eyes at 

April, who was laughing.


“Party in the front office!” said Brittany.


“Where are the twins?” asked April.


“They aren’t here today,” said Brittany, “They’re cutting so that they can spend some time together,” she added in a whisper.


“Oops,” April whispered back.


“Skye? I cannot find them anywhere. We’re going to have to ask you to stay home until we can find them,” said Ms. Wood, sticking her head out from under a desk.


“Okay, do I need a pass or something?” he asked, obviously excited to get out of school.


“No, because you haven’t technically become a student here yet until we have your files. Do you need to call your parents?”


“I don’t think so. I’ll just… walk home.”


“I’ll let Mr. Barbella know immediately of this problem. I’m sorry for any inconveniences this might have caused.”


“It is fine, ma’am. I’ll be on my way I guess. Bye April!” Skye said.


    He turned to walk out the door, when the figure of Brittany stepped in his way. She stood there, arms akimbo, as if she were waiting for something.


“Goodbye, Brittany,” he blurted, making her name sound like a swear word.


“Bye honey.”


   She leaned over and planted a kiss on his cheek. Skye hurried out of the roomwithout 

looking back.


   The halls of the school were now empty, because everyone had already gone to class. Skye decided to take this time to give himself his own tour of the school. He first walked around the lobby, making faces at himself in the glass of the fish tank. He watched the tiny goldfish swim, their mouths opening and closing as they went.


   Walking down a new hallway, he stopped at each door to hear a piece of the teacher lecturing. Algebra, Drivers Education, English, World History, and finally the one that he was looking for: the band room.


   Delightful music of thousands of brass voices filled the air. Singing together in harmony, they quickly caught his ear. They were playing a beautiful Beethoven piece. Skye carefully cracked open the door, as to not disturb them. The director caught his eye and winked as he pulled up a chair near where the instruments were kept. She walked over to him, and the band kept playing, lost in their own sound.


“I’m Miss Chamia, the band director. You’re new here?” she said, her voice singing.


“Yeah. I’m Skye, Skye Davis. I don’t play an instrument, but your band sounds awesome!”


“Thank you darling! But you do play an instrument: your voice!”


   Skye laughed, never really thinking about it that way before.


“I used to sing at my old school, actually,” he said, boasting a bit.


“Can you sing Silent Night? Y’know, the Christmas song?” asked Miss Chamia.


“I’m not really good , but it is a beautiful song. I guess I could try.”


   Miss Chamia walked back to her directing block, and tapped her baton on the stand to silence the band.


“Musicians, meet Skye Davis. He’s new here.”


   As if they had been training their whole life, the entire band stood up and started clapping. Skye blushed; he had never received this kind of professional treatment before.


“Skye, we’ve been working on playing Silent Night since the beginning of the school year, and we aspire to play it at our holiday concert. None of the musicians have volunteered to stand up and sing the lyrics, so we might not be able to perform it. I was wondering if you would accompany us. I’m not forcing you, but it would be very nice,” she said.


“Oh, I don’t know. I definitely don’t have some angel voice. It wouldn’t hurt to try though,” he said, unsure of what he was getting himself into.


“I’m so excited! Thank you for stepping up to this Skye. It really means a lot.”


    Miss Chamia dropped a thick score into his hands.


“Umm, okay. I’ll try,” Skye said uncertainly.


   The band started to play the familiar, peaceful introduction. The balance in the band was amazing, and an experienced ear could tell that they had been practicing hard. 


Hearing the music slow down into the melody, Skye started to sing.


“Silent night, holy night

All is calm, all is bright

Round yon Virgin Mother and Child

Holy Infant so tender and mild

Sleep in heavenly peace

Sleep in heavenly peace

 

Silent night, holy night!

Shepherds quake at the sight

Glories stream from heaven afar

Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!

Christ, the Saviour is born

Christ, the Savior is born

 

Silent night, holy night

Son of God, love's pure light

Radiant beams from Thy holy face

With the dawn of redeeming grace

Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth

Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth "

 


Skye finished singing, and the last notes of the carol lingered in the air. Every member of the band was silent, all eyes were on him.


“Skye, that was…” Miss Chamia started, obviously at a loss for words.


Skye bit his lip. Was he really that bad?


“Wonderful! I’ve never heard anything like it. I really hope that you’ll join us for the concert, Skye. Do you already have band on your schedule?”


“Wow, umm, thanks! I’m actually suspended from school right now, so I can’t be in any classes,” he said.


Miss Chamia looked shocked, as if she couldn’t imagine a person like Skye being suspended.


“Oh, don’t worry. I didn’t get in trouble, I just SPRINT had troubles transferring my grades from my old school to this school,” he said.


“So you’ll be back to normal in a few days, I’m assuming?” she said.


“Hopefully. I guess you’ll want me to sing at your concert, right?”


“That would be just lovely if you could. Right, band?”


The band all chorused back with a loud “Yes Miss Chamia!”.


“Are there any other boy singers in the school? Who would have sung if I had never come to this school?” he asked, a bit suspicious.


“I don’t think that we would be doing this piece if we hadn’t found you today. We were going to hold auditions later this week, but now I see that isn’t necessary. Your talent was drawn to us!”


“Sure. Well, I should probably be getting home. I’m really not supposed to be in school right now,” Skye said, trying to excuse himself.


“Okay honey! I hope they find your grades soon.”


She smiled, and opened the door for him when he walked out. Skye walked back through the maze of hallways, and into the lobby. He stepped out through the front doors, and breathed in the freedom. It was odd to be in a school while everyone else was in class.


Humming to himself, he walked over to the back of the school where all of the delivery trucks were parked.


“Today has been such an odd day,” he said to himself, “First Brittany claiming me as her own, and then this whole grade transfer mess. No one understands how hard it is moving into a new school.”


“I do,” said a new voice, coming from a truck.


“What? Who’s there?”


Someone walked out behind the nearest truck, a familiar face.


“Chance?” said Skye.


“I hear you’re having some problem, man.”


“It is just transferring to a different school is just so hard. You don’t know anyone, and everyone wants you. I’ve let everyone take me. I’m going to have to put a stop to this,” said Skye.


“Bud, don’t worry. If it is Brittany you’re worried about, don’t be. She just wants you because she thinks you’re hot. And, may I add, that you are quite handsome. You’re a great kid, Skye. Don’t let some stuck-up popular b***h get in the way of your dreams.”


“Chance, you’re great. You always give the best advice when I need it. Actually, when 

anyone needs it,” Skye said, “And you have awesome hair!” He ran his hand through 

Chance’s hair, and they both laughed.


“Anytime, bro. I’m here for you.”


“Thanks. I should get going now, by parents are expecting me.”


“Okay, dude. Bye!” Chance put his headphones back over his ears, and walked off while head banging.


“Bye,” said he quietly, because he knew Chance couldn’t hear him.


Skye walked through the parking lot and down the road, heading to the place he called home. 


~



© 2011 GlamGirl


Author's Note

GlamGirl
The third chapter... please leave an honest review! And again, I know about the grammar problems :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Poor girl had a bad beginning. But she can sing. Story is getting better and more entertaining. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 7, 2011
Last Updated on December 7, 2011


Author

GlamGirl
GlamGirl

VT



About
17, competitive dancer, musician, runner, general dork. I used to post a lot a few years ago, and I've found some interest again through a poetry class I am taking at school. Looking forward to pos.. more..

Writing
Janet Janet

A Poem by GlamGirl


Confess Confess

A Story by GlamGirl