This Heart

This Heart

A Poem by Glenn
"

The darkside of love

"

The heart that beats in me

Once youthful, strong,

Vibrant, full of pride

 

I have given it to you too many times

I took it out, placed it in your hands

You told me you would hold it forever

 

I trusted that it was safe

Never to be broken, or bruised

Too soon it grows bitter, and cold

 

Did forever end, did it fade away

My forever bled through your hands

Now battered, filled with sorrow

 

This heart no longer beats for you

You crushed this heart with your wicked hands

Now crumbled, turned to dust

© 2011 Glenn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so sad and such a good portrayal of trust that was broken. I am young, but I have felt this same kind of loss when I gave my heart completely to someone only to find out years later that love no longer matters and he moved on to someone else and to be treated like old trash that needs to be taken out

Posted 13 Years Ago


The emotions behind this poem are so crushing within my chest. I can feel your pain as you wrote this poem. It can be hard repairing a broken heart, and often it can be fixed. It's like having a huge hole punched in your chest. Some wounds can never be cleaned out. Great job with this poem Glenn!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree with Bubbles on the lines, “I have given it to you too many times.” The line exemplifies a person who has loved unconditionally. The anthropomorphic qualities of a heart that was, “youthful, strong, vibrant, and full of pride,” are morally contrasting. Youthful, strong, and vibrant are positive and energetic adjectives. They reflect unwavering, almost zealous adherence to a belief or principle, and in this case are most appropriate to the subject matter of the poem: unconditional love. However, pride distorts positive virtue and can morph positive traits into undesirable vices. This may be the goal of the author, as the poem concludes with a decayed heart that is “filled with sorrow” and “crumbled to dust.”

However, as the narrator questions his tormentor, “Did forever end, did it fade away,” we are given to understand that this is not rhetoric, he wants an answer. In effect, he is saying, “I am still here, I still love.” In posing this question to his tormentor, the narrator reaffirms his devotion and the positive nature of his heart. That being said, one can deduce that the loving nature of his heart is not crushed, but that the target of that sentiment, the tormentor, has been removed and that after healing our noble narrator will love again.


Posted 13 Years Ago


This DEFINITELY captures love on it's opposite. It's as if this poem is saying that the person that inflicted the pain upon the other, LOVES to cause pain, while the one receiving the pain withers away, emotionally, because of it. Nice job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I can say this poem hits the spot directly. It does leave a rather bitter taste in ones mouth I am not sure if it is against love or the one doing the crushing though. This was a wicked write that seems to be perfect reading for me tonight, nice write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


There are so many things I adore about this poem.
I love the lines:
"I have given it to you to many times"
and the conclusion
"You crushed this hear with your wicked hands".
it sad how forgiving someone and trusting them one too many times can hurt us more than we ever imagined.
why do people have to be so cruel?


Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh matters of the heart. You captured the heartache well...nicely done..

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good write, I had written a poem similar back in the day. It really speaks to me more than most. Great write, keep up the good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

460 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 30, 2010
Last Updated on February 13, 2011
Tags: Lost love

Author

Glenn
Glenn

Laurens, SC



About
I am very new to the poetry world. I have only recently began to write. I have been reading poetry for a little while now, but some life changes have inspired me to make an attempt at this. I absolutl.. more..

Writing
Innocence Lost Innocence Lost

A Poem by Glenn


The Damned The Damned

A Poem by Glenn


Answered Answered

A Poem by Glenn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Innocence Lost Innocence Lost

A Poem by Glenn