Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by State of Grace

I was woken up by the bright sun of a new day. I sat up and looked around. Where had I fallen asleep this time? Turns out I had collapsed in a small ally way right next to a dumpster behind a small restaurant. I guess it didn’t matter anyway, I was already filthy. I’ve been wearing the same clothes for the past… how long has it been? How long has it been since I left that retched place? The days seem to blend together for some reason… It’s so hard to tell anything anymore.

 

I sighed as I turned to my right to find a big ball of something lying next to me on the ground. I was curious, so I reached over and poked it. A small squeak came from the object, followed by a high pitched hiss. It started to move around, then turned and faced me. I stared at it wide eyes with disgust. IT WAS A RAT!!! I JUST TOCHED A FILTHY, DISGUSTING, DISEASE RIDDEN RAT!!!! I screamed and crawled away quickly.

 

EW, EW, EW, EW, EW!!! DID I REALLY JUST TOUCH THAT THING?!?! THAT’S SO, SO GROSS!! I started to have a little spaz attack in the corner of the alley. UGH! I ABSOLUTLY HATE THOSE THINGS!! WHY WOULD GOD CREATE SOMETHING AS HORRIBLE AS THAT THING RIGHT THERE?!?! I could have sworn the little creature looked at me like I was crazy at that moment. Then it turned its head back around and scurried off toward the now crowed streets of the city.

 

After it was out of site I calmed down a bit. I never want touch one of those things ever again! A slight shiver went down my spine just thinking about it. Well, it could have been worse I guess. It could have come up to me or something!

 

My stomach growled. I looked down at it and groaned. I was so hungry! Running away was a stupid idea. Now I have nothing! I-I could have taken it a bit longer, couldn’t I? At least there I would have a roof over my head and food. I could go back; he wouldn’t punish me that much if I went back now. I still remember the address… I know the way there… I…I… But I just can’t go back. Not after what he did.

 

“Hey kid, what are you doing here?” said a strange voice coming out of nowhere. I looked up to see a tall, skinny man wearing an apron. He must work at the restaurant. “You alright?”

 

 I stood up instantly. “Yes sir” I tried to say politely, “I’ll be out of your way now” I attempted to walk pass him to get to the sidewalk.

 

“Wait a minute” He said, taking hold of my wrist. “What are you doing out here all alone? A little girl shouldn't be out here. Where are your parents? What happened to you?”

 

I pulled against him, trying to escape his grasp. “I’m not a little girl! Let go of me!” I screamed at him.

 

“Hey, I’m only trying to help”

 

“Well I don’t need your help! Now let me go!” I bent my head down and bit him. He let go of me instantly and screamed in pain. I ran away from him as fast as I could. I can’t risk being discovered. I can’t go back! I just can’t! I don’t care if I have food or shelter there! It’s just not worth it!

 

I had no idea where I was running to, but I knew that I couldn’t stop. My heart was racing and my head was pounding. The only thing I noticed was the pavement underneath my feet; everything else just became one big blur. I'll never go back, not ever. This was the only thing that could go through my mind at that moment. 

 

I would never go back. Not for anything. 



© 2011 State of Grace


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ooo.... u need to continue this... its already caught my attention!!! i wanna read more of this

Posted 12 Years Ago


Helluva beginning. Really grabs your attention. I'm interested to see where you take this.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 8, 2011
Last Updated on May 8, 2011


Author

State of Grace
State of Grace

~lost in my mind but couldn't care less~, LA



About
more..

Writing