the life of us all

the life of us all

A Story by Grahm Thoman

The Life of Us All

 

The bodies pulsed in the tune of my fast paced heart, crammed together as the sun blazed it’s tendrils of light. My throat had tightened in thirst as the shadows of individuals morphed together as they flowed upon the crowded street. The heated light filtered through the towering buildings, dodging past those streaks of light; I followed one shadow to another. Keeping pace with the rest of moving bodies I stumbled from shadow to shadow. Step…step….step….run! I followed the young woman to my left, trying to act as normal as one could while chasing the shadows of others, relinquishing this heat. Trying to hold my self conscious I grabbed a man’s shirt. I felt the oils and salt rub between my fingers; their saturated shirt clung to my hand as I pulled myself upright. My eyes lost focus; red smeared across my vision as my eyes readjusted in and out of consciousness. Falling is all I could remember next.

I awoke lying with a thin blue sheet upon me, a hospital bed. Looking down, I was bruised on every inch of skin that had been exposed to the unmoving crowd. They had been oblivious to my resting body, along the busy street that day. Kicked and walked over until a young girl screamed at my appearance. I thank her every night, for if she hadn’t seen, I may have decayed as the onlookers kept to their busy schedules, not noticing nor caring of what a simple ordinary man may become of.

© 2013 Grahm Thoman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on October 3, 2013
Last Updated on October 3, 2013
Tags: fast, fiction, busy.short story, life