Regrets two, ( I've had a few )

Regrets two, ( I've had a few )

A Poem by gram linski

Last night
the caressing tenderness
of the first date kiss
with the angst
and doubt
of memories had
in moonlight
the urge to touch
was far too strong
and you were so ...
so f*****g beautiful
that my heart
sank to hell
and died, because
I could not, would not try
and yes,
chose the easy way
of the bottle of wine
and the empty nights
and was
my fathers boy
and did not enjoy
the taste it left
when my wine was done
I loved you
and despite my sins
I love you still

© 2019 gram linski


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the nod to Sinatra in the title. Though I'd reckon there's a bit more earnestness in this poem than in My Way. But who knows.

What I like about your poems is that you often come at us with common experiences, but then you turn them into some kind of grand moment with some turn of phrase or way of framing that makes them feel like once in a lifetime moments. But, that's the thing, I guess. All moments are once in a lifetime. Even if we live similar forms of them over and over.

The part that caught me here was the bit about 'my father's boy.' I mean, that was the hinge/pivot moment for me and then what followed was like the parting of a curtain. it's simple, but it comes at you out of nowhere and then the poem sweeps out to encompass more than one lifetime and there's a perspective. Fear of experiencing something can often outweigh any desire to do that thing.

The most beautiful girls, like the most beautiful mountains, can seem perpetually out of reach. The mind is its own kind of battlefield. And a hard one because the only enemy to fight is the one who will also be doing the fighting. Swinging a sword at the air.

I don't know. I just felt this one. The tender expressions alongside the wall-of-self that can keep out many good things.

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

cheers Eilis once again 10 out of 10 for insight and understanding, possibly the air was a windmill... read more
It's this way: sex does not always work. Wine,on the other hand, is reliable.

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

very true, John unless you get a corked mutha fizz, it still gets drank and the words still flow
What an honourable young man you were then. You can look at the goods but not touch comes to mind. Drummed in to many a young person in fear of what the outcome would be if you disobeyed. The fear of God certainly loomed in my day. This is tender, full of longing and yes regret as well. What is more the love is still there, and that is delightful.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

I'm still an honourable xxxx man, and you are still a cheeky f**k, lol.
this reminds me of my high school days....catholic guilt...the kiss, the slight touch...the fear of doing more...the lost chances...and loving even if i didn't really know what it was..."bless me father for i have..."

j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

… yes you have, j. you dirty dog, thanks again for enjoying,
Powerfully sad as the protagonist recalls the possibilities but did not have the confidence to 'close the deal' and so drank instead and regretted it because the urge never left the stage. A mournful piece set in a bejewelled free verse gram.

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

the deal had been closed long time ago, this was sympathy f**k apologetic letter,

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 17, 2019
Last Updated on August 17, 2019

Author

gram linski
gram linski

About
Caged In An Animal's Mind Caged in an animal's mind; No wish to be more or else Than I am; a smile and a grief Of breath that thinks with its blood, Yet straining despite; unsure In my stir .. more..

Writing