The Cancer Poem

The Cancer Poem

A Poem by gram linski

The Cancer Poem
,
Gnaw gnaw gnaws
,
death infected rats
,
trying to escape
,
my bowels
,
with a flaming sword
,
of understanding
,
marching them on
,
one last gasp of life
,
before I
,
cough up blood
,
and decay

© 2019 gram linski


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This cuts to the quick because I have been there. Ten months of treatment where I thought the chemo would kill me before the cancer did. Fifteen years ago but I have not forgotten it, or the friends of mine who didn't make it. This is raw gram. Yes, we all know someone.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

hey, Chris, aye sad but true, must have been horrendous to live through, but you survived so keep wr.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Aye, I was lucky. My Dad wasn't took him at 60, my brother at 62, but my mum has survived it twice, .. read more
gram linski

4 Years Ago

look forward to it, Chris, take care,



Reviews

Yeah it's a b***h. Think everyone has lost a few loved ones to cancer. Your poem was a graphic neck punch. Good stuff. My father in law has cancer in his liver and intestines. The tumors have shrunk, get this, with dog dewormer. Google that. Totally true.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, man, I appreciate it, will google, if it was that simple surely everyone would d.. read more
When my step-father had cancer (which was detected late and progressed quickly) I told myself I would start taking really good care of myself. I was there to witness the progression and treatments and even the last breath. That was seven years ago, and still I haven’t committed to my own health.

Then, my dad called me when he was about on death’s door with cancer in his nasal cavity and eye a couple of years ago. I was there to watch him go through treatments and to nurse him when he came home. To see him teeter on stairs and become a different version of the man I had known. But he managed to fight it off. I also committed in my mind to not letting myself be one of the victims of that f*****g disease. But, still.

I share all that because I feel like your poem is a poem about a poem that you hope never to write. As though the poem and disease lay dormant somewhere and the power of poetry (to extinguish the flaming sword) is being wielded as defense.

There’s a certain inevitability to cancer. At least it feels that way now. It’s hard not to know someone who has been touched or taken. And the way people suffer under the disease is so difficult to witness.

The graphic images of your poem are the stuff of nightmares, and I suppose there is no other way to face the ghost of it. It’s an unsettling idea, but, maybe we all feel these kinds of fears when we understand the prevalence of the disease and lose people we care for. But, there is only so much we can do.

Strong poetry here, Gram. I’m sorry for all of your own losses.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

4 Years Ago

I think the big fella up on high quite likes an illnes, especially the terminal kind, as it stops th.. read more
gram linski

4 Years Ago

wise words, Gee wise words, lol,
Eilis

4 Years Ago

Thanks to you, Gram, and you’re welcome. And, yeah, the billionaire thing. Seems sensible.
Having heard the accounts of family members and friends who've survived and succumbed, your poem captures the miserable, nasty nature of this disease and the awful treatments. The words, the structure, and the brevity strike the mind hard.

In Brad Paisley's song, This is Country Music, he says in the first verse, "Well you're not supposed to say the word 'cancer', in a song." He later says,"yeah that might be true... but this is country music and we do." Some might say the same about cancer in a poem. Well, this is your brand of poetry, and it works for you, gram. A remarkable poem on a very difficult subject.


Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

wow, thanks, R.E. that means a lot to me, will google Brad Paisley soon, country music is full of de.. read more
gram linski

4 Years Ago

just listening to Brad, awesome tune, will get back to this in time, deep stuff,
This cuts to the quick because I have been there. Ten months of treatment where I thought the chemo would kill me before the cancer did. Fifteen years ago but I have not forgotten it, or the friends of mine who didn't make it. This is raw gram. Yes, we all know someone.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

hey, Chris, aye sad but true, must have been horrendous to live through, but you survived so keep wr.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Aye, I was lucky. My Dad wasn't took him at 60, my brother at 62, but my mum has survived it twice, .. read more
gram linski

4 Years Ago

look forward to it, Chris, take care,
this is so you gram ... if i may say so ... cuts to the quick .. you've surgically removed the mess and clutter of cancer ... and i am taken right to it ... the emotive quality in this one is amplified in its straight forward approach ... when i hit the closing four lines it tore me up ... we most certainly all have been brushed up against by cancer .. just days ago I lost a dear cousin of only 63 yrs of age ... she was a life long smoker and lung cancer took her .. very quickly as she decided against treatment ... i too hope this is not something you are dealing with yourself sir!
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

hey E, good to hear from you, sorry to hear about your cousin, just said the same kind of thing to J.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

yes...a good point ... not sure how it all works in the scheme of things ... apparently the predicti.. read more
very real, too real....i am with John on this one...hoping it is a poem..not autobiographical...
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

thanks j. same reply as Johns, I think Cancer has probably affected everyone, either directly or und.. read more
Graphic to the utmost. Very apt symbolism. At least I hope it's symbolism, and not autobiography.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

thanks John, not yet anyway but it is a family legacy, watched my mum whither away and lost various .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 22, 2019
Last Updated on November 22, 2019

Author

gram linski
gram linski

About
Caged In An Animal's Mind Caged in an animal's mind; No wish to be more or else Than I am; a smile and a grief Of breath that thinks with its blood, Yet straining despite; unsure In my stir .. more..

Writing