My Evening of Wonder

My Evening of Wonder

A Story by grayhaven

My Evening of Wonder

 

As the days weariness overcame me, I went outside, where I walked alone in the coolness of the evening along my garden path. Finding my hammock, I lay down upon it as the twilight slowly made its way towards darkness. My hands behind my head, watching as the clouds moved across the face of the moon, I listened as the crickets and the tree frogs sang the songs of the night. In the cool moonlit yard  the fireflies began their evening dance just as they have for untold centuries.

Laying there soaking it all in I suddenly heard what sounded like tiny voices laughing and singing. At first, thinking it was only the sounds of insects I began to wonder where these sounds came from. Hearing a rustling coming from among the ferns and hosta, I slowly turned my head and watched the flower beds to see what it could be. Much to my surprise, there among the pansies and violas were tiny figures seemingly playing and dancing with one another. As I watched I began to notice others dressed as in foxglove blooms flitting like hummingbirds on tiny gossamer wings from flower to flower among the ginger blossoms and the moon flowers. Hearing giggling coming from above my head I looked and smiled as tiny faces played peek-a-boo with me from among the ivy.

As I lay watching out in the yard, tiny winged ones were playing a game of tag with the fireflies. They zigged and zagged, in and out among the branches of the crape myrtle trees. The fireflies, when tagged, would light up and the yard would ring with peals of laughter from the tiny fairies.

I found that the more I watched and the more I smiled at the antics of the wee ones I became more and more relaxed, as if the joy of living that they showed chased away the stresses of the day.

Suddenly my eyes popped open with a start as Buddy, our dog, began barking from the back porch. Realizing that I had been asleep I looked around and found that once again I was alone with the crickets and the fireflies. As I pushed myself from the hammock and made my way back up the path to the house I wondered if it had all been real.

Up on the porch I looked back into the garden and said, “Good night little ones”, and once again hearing a tiny giggle come from among the flowers, I smiled, took Buddy and went inside.

© 2011 grayhaven


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A lovely peaceful poem. Well done. Keep on penning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


OH Mickey this is absolutely delightful and enchanting. I would love a dream like this...or perhaps it wasn't a dream after all...an amusing thought huh? I loved reading this
Hugs to you my friend

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 3, 2011
Last Updated on October 3, 2011

Author

grayhaven
grayhaven

Baton Rouge, LA



About
Just a man that writes when I go through things and need to get if out of me. Poetry helps me do that. more..

Writing
His Touch His Touch

A Poem by grayhaven



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~ True Love ~ ~ True Love ~

A Poem by Legacy


The Winds The Winds

A Poem by grayhaven