Crossroads

Crossroads

A Story by Gretchen Lee Bourquin
"

my weekly blog for August 30th, 2008. Back issues can be found at www.gretchenleebourquin/blog

"

Labor day weekend often represents a sort of crossroads for me, and being a thinker it is nice to have an extra day off of the day job. This year I think it is especially so. Last week I actually took a couple days vacation, and for the most part I played and was generally lazy. I had hoped to be more productive, but I suppose a "productive vacation" misses the point somehow. I saw a movie and went to the State Fair, and wished I had more days when it was time to go back to work.

Last week was of course the Democratic National Convention in Denver. I watched a few of the speeches, although my mind has been made up for a while. I have already been affected. I am pursuing my own dreams more agressively, and have tried to incorporate more charitable giving of time and money into my life. They are small changes, but they are a start.

Next week the Republican Convention comes to my back yard (St. Paul, MN)  bringing roadblocks, increased traffic, etc. I will try to hear a couple of those speeches too. It's good to face all the possibilities, even if there are some you would rather not see.

We can vote, campaign for candidates and issues that are important to us, watch the flashes of red and blue across our televisions in November, but no matter where the chips fall we will still have to live with one another, do the best we can with what we have and try to make our own lives and the lives of those around us a little better than they were before.

Labor Day weekend also signifies the kids going back to school. My son started at the community college this last week. My daughter starts on Tuesday, her second year of high school. It should be an interesting year.

Labor Day, it seems can be a bigger New Years Day, than January 1st with all the new beginnings around the corner. I will be doing my best to regroup and press forward. Tomorrow is up to me.



Gretchen Lee Bourquin is the author of the novel, No Sensible People and the poetry collection, The Long and Short of It. Both books are currently available.

© 2008 Gretchen Lee Bourquin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on August 30, 2008