Sisters of the Sun

Sisters of the Sun

A Story by Guardian
"

Just a little myth I created for a school project in my American Literature class.

"

            Before the time of humans, while their forms were being molded from the dust of the earth, the gods existed alone. Jason, creator of the sun was the father of our world. His sons, David, John, and Adam were rulers of the earth, fire, and wind. His daughters, Isabelle, Mary, and Jane were the goddesses of the rivers, nature, and the animals that were beginning to walk the earth. All of his children were beautiful and powerful, and his wife, Kara spent her nights sprinkling the blackness with stars.

            Still, despite the talent and beauty of his wife, it was his sisters he most admired. He spent his days watching them and his nights dreaming of them as he pushed the sun across the sky. Alice, goddess of the moon was beautiful beyond description. Her skin seemed to glow with pure light and her eyes sparkled with unrivaled intelligence. Her voice sent pleasant shivers down the spines of all who were lucky to hear her speak. Samantha, goddess of the sea, was fierce but still beautiful. She was stronger than her nieces and cunning. She rarely spoke, but when she did, all listened. Jason adored his sisters. They had been with him from the beginning, and from their power they had created his lovely wife. 

            However, despite their beauty and intelligence, the sisters had their flaws. They were strong in some ways and embarrassingly weak in others. They were vain beyond measure and proud to a fault. They loved to spend their days staring at their reflection and they loved how their faces looked in the crystal blue waves of the sea. Though the sea belonged to Samantha, she often let Alice gaze at herself and they would spend days on end gazing into the glassy and unmoving waters as the creatures of the sea rose to the surface and sang praises to the goddesses.

            But soon Alice grew jealous. Her sister would not allow Alice to stay near her crystal waters for long. Alice asked her sister if she would give her some of the ocean’s waters for her palace on the moon. Samantha refused. She hated having her sister nearby, for Alice was just as beautiful as she and she did not like to hear the praise the creatures sang for Alice of the moon. Instead of granting Alice’s wish, Samantha forbade Alice from ever gazing into the sea again.

            Alice still lusted for Samantha’s waters and missed seeing her reflection and her perfect beauty. And so, Alice exercised her own powers. She pulled the waters of the ocean toward her, disrupting its glassy sheen. She pulled with all of her power, and for a while her sister did not notice. Alice was able to gaze for a short while at her beautiful face in the ocean waters as the level of the sea rose.

            When Samantha discovered her sister’s treachery, she was furious. She lashed outward and storms raged across the seas. She pulled the water backward with all of her strength while her brother Jason pushed the sun across the sky. Samantha, furious, created waves across the waters to disrupt her sister’s reflection.

            Soon Alice fought back and pulled the waters toward her once more. The waves continued to lash across the seas and storms raged from time to time. The sisters’ rage was great and their pride fueled the fight. Though neither sister could now see their reflection, neither one would give the win to the other. They kept pulling against each other, ignoring the desperate pleading from Jason and their nieces and nephews to stop the fighting.

            Their pride and vanity kept the waters in turmoil. To this day, the water still rises and falls, pulled by the power of Alice and Samantha, twin sisters who would never give victory to the other. And so, the tides were created and waves now lashed across the seas.

© 2009 Guardian


Author's Note

Guardian
Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I remember this story! Great as always Guardian, keep up the good work! It's a very good myth, and I like your use of flawed characters. Overall, I would say it follows a very classical myth pattern, you've got your mythological characters, an explanation for a natural phenomenon, and it would fit well in a mythology it would be designed to fit in (with the use of Gods and the mention of creation of people). You've created a great story (as always).

I'll try to go over it for grammar and all that nice stuff later, I'm quite tired right now and so I wouldn't do a very good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really liked it! Like no lie!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I remember reading this!

I love the very natural human aspects you give to your characters, and the cause-effect idea sounds very much like classical mythology. The only flaw I can find here - is the naming. Using modern names in something that sounds otherwise like it is from ancient times - well, to me it seems to disrupt the feel and setting of the story. If you have trouble making up names, try typing random letters in Word until you get a combination you think sounds right. Other than that, amazing work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I remember this story! Great as always Guardian, keep up the good work! It's a very good myth, and I like your use of flawed characters. Overall, I would say it follows a very classical myth pattern, you've got your mythological characters, an explanation for a natural phenomenon, and it would fit well in a mythology it would be designed to fit in (with the use of Gods and the mention of creation of people). You've created a great story (as always).

I'll try to go over it for grammar and all that nice stuff later, I'm quite tired right now and so I wouldn't do a very good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

352 Views
3 Reviews
Added on January 10, 2009
Last Updated on January 11, 2009

Author

Guardian
Guardian

AZ



About
I live in Arizona where the sun is always shining. Writing has always been my passion. I love to read and write. I'm also involved in drama and music. I write a variety of things. Everything from poet.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Guardian


Drifting Drifting

A Story by Guardian


The Screw The Screw

A Story by Guardian



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Final Moments Final Moments

A Story by Guardian


[untitled] [untitled]

A Poem by Hope