Where is Sam? The intro

Where is Sam? The intro

A Story by Hafsa Aboo
"

This essay uses the symbol of a boy named Sam to describe the struggle of adopting change in many families and societies.

"

Sam was special in our neighborhood, some would say. Others would say that Sam was a boy who lived in a special neighborhood. The truth that you see all depends on the angle you set on your viewing glass. 


To the naked eye, Sam appeared to be like any other regular neighborhood boy. He was cheerful, polite and eager with a helping hand. He was kind to his elders and friendly with his peers. He excelled at meeting expectations. Sam went about his days in a regular manner without any suspicion from the oblivious, on-looking eye.


However, there was something different about him. He often found himself drifting onto thoughts that he knew he wasn’t supposed to have. He used the silences of nights to question all of life’s occurrences. Of these thoughts, though, he never spoke. What makes the mind so powerful is its ability to hide from the rest of the world. Sam suspected that if he wanted to keep himself an admired member of our neighbourhood, his thoughts must never be known. He was right - Sam’s mind was better remained a secret because, in this neighbourhood, his thoughts would not be accepted. 


This neighbourhood is one of routine and tradition. We do not question, but rather �" we accept. We choose to be this way because we’re told it’s the only way to keep the peace. We’re told that if we adopt new ideas, elders would no longer be treated kindly and peers would not get along. It’s a mindset written so deep into the stone of our land that it cannot be erased. This is the angle set on our viewing glasses inside the neighbourhood. The angle has never changed and often looks directly into the sun. 


Perhaps in our deepest subconscious, we’re waiting for Sam to emerge from the silence of his thoughts. Maybe we’re waiting for him to speak his mind so that the rest of us may rise out of the darkness our own. It could be that Sam is not just a single person, but a symbol of a people �" hiding our thoughts to be admired members of the neighbourhood. 


Sam was special in our neighbourhood, some would say. Others would say that Sam will be special, when he gathers the courage to take the first step forward. Will there come a day when we choose to tilt the axis of the looking glass so that we no longer blind ourselves? Will we ever be of those people who open our minds? Will we ever be amongst those who do not fear change?


I really do hope that Sam is special, for our neighbourhood. 

© 2016 Hafsa Aboo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wooow. So sick, Really good.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 28, 2016
Last Updated on October 28, 2016
Tags: change, freedom, life, special, blinded, angle, perspective

Author