13

13

A Chapter by Hannah Olivia

The last few days were a blur. The family was bustling around the house making sure they didn’t forget that one diamond earring on the counter, or throwing out the stale stash. I missed being here already, the smell of the ocean, the cozy neighborhood, and even Mr. Ansley’s gnomes sitting watchfully in his front yard.
Apparently, my mother had took into thought what I had said to her a while before, about saying that she would consider sending Mitch to an art school just to get him out of her face. She took him aside and gave him a serious talk about college, but this time she was calm and caring about it. Mitch came up to me later, where I was texting Deb and Nate at the same time, to tell me that he was going to Philadelphia after the summer, for his next three years of school. I was so excited for him, my brother, who will finally be happy to do what he wants.
Gabby seemed to be getting over Nate little by little, but still walking around with that heart broken cloud over her head. Gabriella was going to grow up and laugh about this, maybe even be embarrassed to talk about it. I went into her room, later that day, one day from leaving, and gave her a big hug.
    “I love him Gabby,” I said, and let go of her. I knew she couldn’t understand, couldn’t really understand what love is or what it means to someone, nor did I expect her to.
Besides from helping my family prep for our road trip, I spent my time with Nate. These times together were different. There was very little talking, instead he held me, on his dock, no matter how hot it was, and I kept my head on his shoulder. When we did talk, it was usually, “I’m really going to miss you,” or, “I love you,” It would be a sad goodbye, and I didn’t want it to. The thing about saying goodbye is, you’d say it as though you’d never see the person again, and it’s your final words you exchange. I didn’t want to say goodbye. I couldn’t and I wont. “See you later” was too vague… Maybe “See you Thanksgiving”, when he would drive up to see me. November seemed years from now- I had to manage the first awkward, sticky days of school, weather Halloween, where I would take Gabby down Main Street, I’d have to count down the days in November in my planner, making a pathetic border around the 26th, when he promised he’d be coming. My parents had given the OK on Nate coming up for the holiday, and also after Christmas.
Deb, Nate and I all hung out on Deb’s porch later that evening, celebrating my last night here in Charlestown. Deb had put around 70 different types of frozen appetizers and brought them out to us, and ate until we’d stuffed ourselves silly.
    “Here’s a toast,” Deb said, raising her plastic ginger ale, smiling at me. “To Liz. Who has made my summer unforgettable. I think I’ll speak for the both of us,” she added, smiling to Nate who nodded and squeezed my hand.
    “We love you.” Deb said.
    “I love you guys too!”
There were Aww’s and drank our soda, talking a mental picture of the moment, as the moon glided over the water and the cool air caressed our faces.
I then thought of home, my small town and near by friends, who I haven’t even talked to this summer. I thought of the porch and the view from my bedroom, over looking the town and the tops of other houses. I haven’t thought about my house back in Weatherfield, since I have been here, and thinking of it actually made me miss home.
I refocused my thoughts back on Deb and Nate, the night becoming darker as we sit in these plastic stairs, and I was happy, not sad, as my summer here was ending.
T he next morning was hectic, my mother woke me up at seven so I could get ready to leave, and I woke up with that tight feeling in my chest, a feeling of heartache for everyone. Deb, Lia, Carol, her new pup Petunia, and most of all Nate, who I was so happy to have fallen in love with, because without him I would leave here with no sense of heartache and love for everyone here, and without that, I couldn’t have changed.
It was our final minutes, as Nate helped us put our luggage in the rotten fruit smelling trunk of the car. My mom had made us all sandwiches the night before, and Dad promised to stop at a McDonald’s.
My parents had make an unspoken treaty with Nate and I, as they let us say goodbye behind the car as they packed in, Gabby and Mitch cozied in the back seat with their blankets and pillows.
    “I’ll see you in November, Liz. I love you.” He slowly said, and kissed me while I was sure Gabby and Mitch were watching through the tinted windows. We hugged, his lips to my neck, and whispered, “I love you,” once again and again, making sure the sound of his voice would carry with me until I see him next on Thanksgiving. He was still holding me, and I slipped the scratchy sand dollar in his front picket, kissing him slowly once more.
I closed my eyes on the drive home, getting texts from Nate saying thanks for the gift, and missing you already, Baby. My mother looked back at me from the passenger seat, and put her hand on my leg.
    “You really did the right thing, I admit.”
I knew I had.
    “Liz, Liz, I spy! Common!”
I took one last good glance at the town, at the summer vacation, and the memories. Mom was still looking back at me smiling, silently agreeing Nate was a good kid, so was I, and the summer was just a beginning of something spectacular and wonderful, and we were sitting back bracing ourselves, waiting for our new lives to begin.

 



© 2009 Hannah Olivia


Author's Note

Hannah Olivia
Okay guys, this is it. I hope you've enjoyed =D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

For some reason I thought I had already written a review of this. Hmm...maybe my wacky computer messed up. :) The last paragraph gave me a "sigh moment". I like those at the ends of books. I enjoyed reading this. Perhaps there will be a sequel? ;O) Good writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 24, 2009


Author

Hannah Olivia
Hannah Olivia

About
Hey, it's Hannah. Yush, obviously- I'm a writer! I write teen novels, and I currently just finished In the Clouds. No, the ending is not posted here, but if your interested please mail me. I am 15 an.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Hannah Olivia


2 2

A Chapter by Hannah Olivia