Chapter 3: The Graduate

Chapter 3: The Graduate

A Chapter by Will B.

On an isolated island in the Aleutian chain of south Alaska, a fenced in compound stands with ample warning signs posted to ward off the unlikely trespasser. Cliff faces surround the island. No bridges, roads, or ferries. The only access to the island is a single airstrip in the center of the compound. The only trespassers that could come by would have to boat in and climb a three hundred foot wall. With the placement of security cameras surrounding the island, officers would know with more than enough time to meet the violator when he reached the top. Satellite imaging is possible but not probable. The common imaging companies have already been paid off with replacement images. Documentation shows the island's purpose being a military weather station and radio re-transmitter. The occupants are alone.

          Within a large building inhabits two items; a single plane designed for evacuation and an elevator. The elevator descends two hundred feet with several sub-basements in between. On the bottom of the shaft is a floor dedicated for an odd purpose. Filled with colorful walls and black and white toys, this floor is simply called the Primary. It is here that grown men and women relearn all skills that one would develop from birth to six years of age. The heavily accelerated program accomplishes this in a matter of weeks. By the end of the program, the individual would learn everything from walking, speaking, reading simple phrases, and cognitive skills. With the lack of numbering of the floors, each are simply named. Primary is the lowest level. Preceding Primary is Elementary then Middle, High, and University. Natural naming of developmental periods in a person's young life. These are all designed to teach the person all encompassing skills and knowledge in three weeks per phase. Once education is complete, the recovering patient undergoes a grueling phase known only as Adapting. Even within the occupants of the compound, the Adapting level is a secret within a conspiracy wrapped in a cover up shell. One person is designated for Adapting. Dr. Lila.

          Waking from his well earned sleep, Wade walked the halls from University to the elevator. Ms. Corbin, his tutor, met his at the doors.

          “Hey, Wade!” Ms. Corbin greeted.

          “You haven't been waiting long have you? I found this amazing book that I just couldn't put down. Sorry if I kept you.”

          “What book?”

          “The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin! This guy has done it all! Amazing man, absolutely amazing!” Wade stated excitedly.

          “He was an amazing man. People play down his eccentricities quite a bit.” Said Ms. Corbin.

          “Eccentricities? Such as what?” Wade inquired.

          “Never mind dear. We have an appointment! We mustn't keep them waiting!”

          “Them?” Wade asked.

          “You'll see.”

          The elevator provided no music. If it weren't for the occasional vibration, Wade could swear that he was standing in a closet. With a subtle ding the doors opened to reveal the ground floor. An open aircraft hangar with a single plane occupying it. Tables were set up in front of the plane. Balloons, streamers, and party favors fly through the air from a dozen people. Hollering praise and cheers, each of the employees congratulate Wade on his completion of school. Music and laughter all around echo through the hangar as though there were hundreds of people partying. Overcome with sensations, Wade placed a cone party hat on his head and sat down with some punch. Ms. Corbin walked over to him and sat down.

          “It's a surprise party for you.” Ms. Corbin explained.

          “I know... It's nice of them all. It's just...”

          “Overwhelming?” Ms. Corbin finished.

          “Yeah. It really is.” Wade sighed.

          “It's okay. The party is just as much for them as it is for you.”

          “How so?” Wade asked.

          “Well... each of them desire a chance to cut loose and relax. Your accomplishments provided that opportunity.” Ms. Corbin explained.

          “I see.”

          Wade sat back and watched the crew dance and eat. Sing and drink. It was as much their party as it was his. None of the employees have left the island in over a year. Every two years, the crew is switched out with another. After their two year shift, they get two years off with a hefty bank account. Since all provisions are paid for while they are on duty, all pay is deferred to a savings account set up prior. No married persons may enter into contract, unless two employees marry each other. In that rare instance, the couple is permitted to remain on the same shift. But if one person quits their employment, divorces, or children become involved, the contract is dissolved and both employments are terminated. Few of the employees fully understand the risks they are taking by accepting this particular contract. National security pales in comparison to their employers policy of maintaining secrets. National interests and laws have no place in this corporation.

          Wade has been contemplating rumors that he has overheard about Adapting. Though his curiosity is unconditional, his caution for these rumors outweigh his curiosity.

          “Ms. Corbin?”

          “Yeah Wade, what's up?” Ms. Corbin replied.

          “Adapting. What exactly takes place? Wade asked.

          With a heavy sigh, Ms. Corbin leaned closer to wade.

          “From what I know, it is simply a place where you are told everything you need to know to leave. Kind of like a transition phase from this place to the next.” Ms. Corbin cryptically answered.

          “I don't even know what this place is. What am I supposed to to at the next place? Where is it? What will I do? Do I get a job? Do I get a-”

          “Wade stop! Your curiosity is driving me mad! I don't know. Okay? I DON'T KNOW! I don't know any of the answers to the questions. I don't! I only know you. I know all about you and I can't tell you much more until you are done Adapting. Understand?”

          Wade sat back in his chair, almost pouting like a small child. As he had begun to give up hope for the answers he sought, the young man was approached by the one person not here for the party. Dr. Lila stood over watching Wade in a manner suitable for deranged stalker. The kindness in her eyes disarmed Wade from his initial emotions of fear and confusion. She reached her hand out and simply smiled.

          “It's about time we got you home now, don't you think?” Lila asked.

          Wade didn't take her hand. Instead he stood and followed her while looking back at Ms. Corbin for reassurance. He received none. Descending down the elevator once more, he takes the shortest rides of all. The first stop is the one he had feared more than any. This stop is his final destination in this compound. After this. Real life.

 

 



© 2012 Will B.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on January 28, 2012
Last Updated on January 28, 2012