Writer's Block

Writer's Block

A Story by Jason A. Skilton
"

--[[ That's it! I'll write a story about a sandwich! ]]--

"
"No, no. That's not it!" 
Steven Freeman was thrown back to the drawing board once again. His amateur writing skills and lack of creativity made his job as an author rather laborious. He'd struggled to pay his bills over the last few months, as his most recent novel was losing its popularity. It didn't help any that he hadn't the slightest idea of what to write next. 
However, for some reason or another, Steven wasn't discouraged. He was optimistic throughout every obstacle he hit as an author. His job meant the world to him, and he was steadfast in his belief that he could write something extraordinary, despite the crumpled up pieces of paper scattered across the room. 

He turned towards his journal once again, and sat, thinking. After a good hour with no result, Steven decided it was time for a break. He went downstairs to the kitchen and made a sandwich. As he was eating, a brilliant idea entered his mind. 

"That's it!" Steven exclaimed. "I'll write a story about a sandwich!" 
He dropped his half-eaten sandwich and sprinted up the stairs, taking them two at a time; he didn't want to lose his train of thought before he reached his notebook. He sat down in his chair and caught his breath. 
"Man. I need to go to the gym." He said. 
He grabbed his notebook and starting writing his story. It began with a sandwich of course, but this was no ordinary sandwich. This sandwich had magical powers rivaled only by those who could-- 
"No! That's a terrible idea!" He exclaimed. "I sincerely doubt a child, let alone grown adults, would be intrigued by that story. I need something grand. Very, very, grand." 
Then it hit him once more. Another idea, worthy of sitting next to even that of the 𝘐𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘥 and 𝘖𝘥𝘺𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘺. Pianos. Pianos were grand. Grand Central Station was also grand, along with the Grand Canyon, Grand Theft Auto, and even Grandparents! He had only one current problem, however. How was he going to fit all of these grand ideas into a novel, and it be of any worth? He couldn't. Another horrid idea, straight out of the idiotic section of the library.
Steven was at the edge of writing something so brilliant, he'd win a Nobel prize. In stupidity. He pondered for another three hours, and then he realized something.
He'd been writing the story from the start of his writer's block! How could he have missed it? However, his creativity was entirely too drained to come up with a clever title, thus he dubbed it "Writer's Block".

© 2017 Jason A. Skilton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is superb! Something every writer can connect to and applaud! Well done! :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Hahahaha! You made the most common problem a really comic one... No doubt we all have writers block like so many times and act exactly like Steven. Really creative and imaginary. I loved the idea where Steven compares all GRANDS ... awessom it was . Keep it up. Really I loved it from the bottom of my heart.

Posted 7 Years Ago


What better to write about than what is found in abundance? Great job knowing your audience, as I'm pretty sure we can all relate to this. The transition from optimism to pessimism about ideas was spot on. Well done and cleverly written, as usual. keep up the good work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by this stories author.
Very funny... very true for all of us but very funny !!

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

338 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 25, 2017
Last Updated on February 25, 2017
Tags: grand, sandwich, writer's block

Author

Jason A. Skilton
Jason A. Skilton

New York, NY



About
If we were all inside a falling aircraft with only one parachute, I'd wish you good luck with the rest of your life. However short it may be. more..

Writing