Charlie

Charlie

A Poem by Crowley

Can you hear the cicada's Charlie?
It was the trees and the breeze, and the thunder
Charlie did Charlie things and never looked up
His wisp of gray hair a toy in the wind

The first drops made their heavy sounds on the deck
But you always had to wait to see if it was going to get worse
One hit Charlie in the nose and he never flinched
Electricity and the smell of rain mixing for atmosphere

The clouds were heavy above the valley, the river
That day was made for waiting and seeing 
I never knew if Charlie waited and saw, but he didn't cry
Not like in the facility on Eleanor Lane in the city

Do you want to go in Charlie?
He never answered, friends asked if he heard the question
I knew he did, I knew he was happy
This was Charlie's place, happiness is on the inside

© 2019 Crowley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I read this and imagined Charlie Chaplin...this reads like a silent movie. Great piece Crowley!

Posted 4 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DAH
Yes, and excellent write, Charlie. You've made so much sense with this poem,
and to live on the inside, yes, why not?!

There's a level of playfulness in these words, as well as the truth of getting old
and/or being too physically sick to handle one's own life, so, in steps the alternative:
"Do you want to go in Charlie?"

Nicely played!
DAH

Posted 4 Years Ago


Aren't we all Charlie on some days at some point in our lives? Its much safer on the inside :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Truth....sometimes the world just takes its toll.Thanks Q, hope you are well!!!
Man Crowley I have read this so many times now I'm just gonna go with my feelings on this and ignore my self editor. For a few years I ran a home for mentally retarded and mental health folks. Maybe this is just me projecting these feelings but Charlie reads to me like somebody that fits in those parameters. I have had some residents that fit this scenario to a T and often got misunderstood in there behaviors we tend to catalog there experience with that of what we deem to be normal and in doing so actually end up hurting them. I was also a behavioral therapist and I often had to dig really deep into these guys to get to the crux of things so it is my nature to do so. to find the catharsis of something when the player is not communicative can be much like reading a poem. seems you have that gift in writing and reading people too:)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Absolutely! Glad I could jog the dendrites!
Crowley

4 Years Ago

Not sure how you read that review its pretty chopped up as I started typing new thoughts amongst the.. read more
Robert Trakofler

4 Years Ago

No it’s perfect:)
dear Crowley... I found your poem to be a revelation.
My mother and father did not leave long enough to be
in a "home" where they could socialize. God has planted
my husband and I in a "home" where we can grow.
We do not know what the future holds, but we embrace
the present and poetry. truly, Pat

Posted 4 Years Ago


Patricia Wedel

4 Years Ago

My mother and father did not Live long enough to be in a "home" where they could socialize.
This portrait of 'Charlie' existing in himself seems to suggest someone who is now detached from reality, perhaps mentally ill or demented? The facility on Eleanor Lane perhaps a nursing home or hospital? Charlie blissfully unaware simply exists in his own memory. Very poignant and visceral, I can feel the oppressive feel and the smell of the storm.

Posted 4 Years Ago


I couldn't help but relate Charlie in my mind to the character in flowers for Alger non, although by the end I thought more of age and what it takes from us as the connections in our brain don't all have a lifetime guarantee.
I have some experience of the effects on people the mind conjures, my mother has both alzheimers and age related dementia. Whether Charlie has, or some other affliction is irrelevant, the results are the same.
I truly hope he could hear them and that whatever the reason, he remembers his past. Maybe he is on the inside for good reason.
Excellent.

Posted 4 Years Ago


A simple and touching portrait of a man living in his own world . . . seemingly content with what he knows or understands. Excellent piece Crowley. Thanks.
Tom

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Thanks man!!! Hope you are well!
The title curiously called up to me and I didn't expect the gripping human condition in this emotional poem. You introduce Charlie as he is. Without melodrama, because of that your poem makes maximum impact on your readers heart and mind. This is extraordinary writing! And will be thinking about Charlie for a long long while.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Thanks!!!! I was on a weekend at a friends cabin and the first thing I did was sit down and write th.. read more
Mrudula Rani

4 Years Ago

Sounds like you had a marvelous weekend. Uma abraço.
for a few, the home might actually be a better place, with socialization etc. It was for my dad...but for a couple years he stayed with my sister...wasn't understood, was pretty much not engaged...not talked to because he repeated so much...but it is so much better when a person can remain in his or her own environment...what's comfortable...and that person may not be able to communicate that contentment verbally...but it's there...we can feel it.
this poem made me think so much of my dad...
thank you for it.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

Glad you could identify...Thanks for reading!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2019
Last Updated on August 14, 2019

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..