Gasoline

Gasoline

A Poem by Muse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 







  We tried to fix up a home,
a two car garage, white picket fence, with a flower bed.
 
 Surely we could not have known,
our diminutive secrets carried by termites would spread.
An infestation grows within these walls like a dam under pressure.
 
 CONTORTING.......
 
((((Swelling))))
 
From all of our weight, and untimely measure.
 
Rusting pipes from my leaking tears.
 
There are no curtains to hang,
we're made vulnerable by these transparent shears.
The neighbors looking in,
wondering who is to blame.
                                       
Even with more primer and paint,
I cannot make these walls talk.
I cannot make you a Saint.
 
The ceiling is falling in...... 
This plaster is crumbling down.
 
So I will restore this home with gasoline,
and light a match to wipe the walls clean....

© 2014 Muse


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Can I go on an allusion tangent again, Muse?

The beginning reminded me a little of the song "No Surprises" by Radiohead. "Such a pretty house / and such a pretty garden....I'll take the quite life / a handshake of carbon monoxide..."

If you've ever heard the song, you know the sort of heady, balloony feel that the diminished sixth and seventh tones give it. Sort of like what happens when you inhale the vapors of gasoline.

P!nk also had a song about wanting to "burn this f****r down," if I recall, because it was full of bad memories. It was called "Funhouse."

I once wrote a short story called "My Name is High Hopes," written from the perspective of the famous Amityville murder house, in which the house explained that it IS cursed, because it's forced to watch its humans screw up their lives and make each other miserable, and then get blamed for it because it is a big, dumb, defenseless object, and cannot speak up for itself.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, this is such poetry!! "Rusting pipes from my leaking tears." and "The ceiling is falling in......
This plaster is crumbling down.
So I will restore this home with gasoline,
and light a match to wipe the walls clean...." are my favorite lines, and they really captured what you are saying. This is actualyl one of my favorite poems by you, awesome f$&king job!!!


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Wow! Brilliant poem:) the imagery created by it was stunning, loved your way of expression. Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MIB
Awesome... I've felt like this before, when trying to do some changes to the house, I put up some temporary walls and I felt like it was taking so long I wanted to just give up... gasoline.. heck of an idea... lol... Excellent work, really enjoyed this one :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Original it begs to be praised, thisd poem is a portrait of tragedy, the emotional color of red burns into the fabric of the expression that cloaks the reader with its sense of, I'd say shadow, fear and revenge and hate, the ending of a modern love story. Yet, the wording is epic, brilliant as sin :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a whole lot of emotion within this one Muse...that relationship where no matter how mush you paint a picture within it is just not painter right...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very powerful piece.

"so I wil restore this home with gasoline,
and light a match to wipe the walls clean..."

A beautiful ending that leaves quite an emotional impact. Your writing one again captivates me, thank you.



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
ha ha..I knew this would be a killer from the title..such rich and flavoursome metaphors! No you can't paint over the cracks in a relationship..your right pour gasoline over it and see if the pheonix rises! stellar writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"through fire, nature rejuvenates itself."


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Yep. Two months later...Still brilliant

Posted 12 Years Ago


Neglect will make anything fall apart, from houses to cars and most certainly relationships... pretending everything is alright can only hold it together for so long before it just collapses. Great use of metaphors.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3369 Views
96 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 21, 2011
Last Updated on June 8, 2014
Tags: poem, poetry, home, gasoline, life, love, anger, fire


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Osmosis Osmosis

A Poem by Muse


Stuffed Stuffed

A Poem by Muse


Fly TRAP! Fly TRAP!

A Poem by Muse