Lunch time

Lunch time

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A ahort excerpt of my book 'The death sciences'.

"

 

Lunch time

‘It’s lunch time.’ His new companion smiled to him. ‘The Savoy’, He added in English for driver's sake. Having reached the impressive hotel, Karim paid the fare and they went straight in; crossing the huge lobby towards the restaurant.  

Another meeting, or rather another interrogation... Samir thought, touching inadvertently his jacket, feeling the presence of the flimsy envelope in his jacket's inner pocket; the letter of introduction, which Abas had given him at their last meeting in Amsterdam. 

‘There they are,’ warned him Karim, nodding his head toward a couple of men, who were seated at a far off table �" away from any of the rest of the hotel’s restaurant guests.

This man doesn't count much. Thought Samir, watching Karim's eager and obedient expression, discerning the urgency and relief he felt �" for having brought Samir safe and sound to his mighty boss. Or was it rather the usual fear, with which he faced his senior? Who that mighty boss was, they had some thirty paces to cross yet before he'll found out.

As Karim and Samir reached the table, the two men stopped eating and raised their heads, to have a look at him �" to check the brand new merchandise, which was sent to them across the channel.        

‘Amsterdam's leftovers,’ was that mighty boss's first comment, having read last night the fax announcing Samir's arrival. But right now he had some mixed feelings. His first impressions of that young man, were very encouraging but mingled though with some doubts. That young man doesn’t look like an Arab, flashed the thought in his crafty brain. On the other hand, he went on thinking, what enemy organization would try to penetrate his crew with an agent, whose appearance would instantly give him up as an impostor?                                                             

Samir's impressions were a bit different. One of the seated men wiped his lips with a napkin, hiding the lower part of his face, behind it. The one facing them a big fellow, must have been the mighty boss. He had hard features, white glittering teeth popping out through his bushy moustache, and a square chin, with a Venus kiss dividing its middle. Though a rather impressive figure, he looked to Samir as some illiterate ‘fallach’ (a farmer). He kept on smiling that inviting, but full of curiosity was that smile of his �" watching Samir through his narrow suspicious eye slits.

‘Ahalen, ahalen,’ (welcome) he said rather briskly. ‘Come on be seated, there's no time to waste.’ But kept watching attentively Samir's face all that time, as if he was wondering: so that's you...  He was flattering Samir with his exaggerated attention, although he didn't utter a word yet. While Samir's face grew hot with embarrassment.

I’m blushing like a girl... He thought angry with himself.                                                     ‘I'm Abu-naeef...!’ The big man declared in a rather majestic manner, as if he were Fahed the king of Saudi Arabia �" no less.  And taking his eyes off Samir's face at last, he added: ‘That's Kassem, Karim must have introduced himself, and there are some more of us of course. I've got the best group of men in Europe, or rather the best group the organization has ever had!’  Having said the last sentence with much ado, raising his square chin proudly; he looked them all over, as if he were challenging them all to dare and contradict him.

’But you must be hungry.’ He turned with unexpected politeness to Samir. Kassem was fidgeting in his seat already, waving an arm �" trying to catch the nearest waiter's attention; and he caught one’s attention right away.

Samir ordered some soup, a steak and french fried, and so did Karim. They were soon served. His host and Kassem turned their attention back to their loaded plates. Their lunch passed in considerable silence. Abu-naeef and Kassem had a second helping, thus conversation wasn't renewed, till desert and black coffee in tiny cups was served.

‘We all noticed the suspicious looks you've been casting around while eating. his host remarked.  ‘It’s a very bad habit, and you'd better drop it. I've no intention to hurt your feelings, but there're still many things, which you have to learn �" it’s too obvious! Well then, I expect Karim will open your eyes in these matters, the sooner the better...’ Abu-naeef turned a searching look at Karim, and a short and unpleasant pause ensued.  

Samir holding his coffee cup close to his lips focused all his new companions attention.

’Vigilance, alertness, caution and patience are some of the virtues in our profession!’ Abu-naeef went on. ‘It’s nobody's business of course, but it’s up to us to keep it secret. By the way,’ he turned suddenly to Karim ‘have you checked surveillance?’

 ‘Of course, we're clean!’ Assured him Karim..                     

‘What's that suppose to be? Some kind of ‘who is the boss game’? That ‘fallach’ it seems lacks self confidence, or worse, suffers from an acute inferiority complex. Thought Samir in wonder, making efforts to adjust himself to what seemed to him a bizarre atmosphere. He hardly had some time to muse and wonder, when the ‘faceless’ Kassem turned to him.

’We do know a few details about you, but…’                      

‘Oh yes, of course!’ Samir broke in interrupting Kassem in mid sentence; fumbling in his jackets inner pocket, he brought out at last, the thin envelope and handed it across the table to Abu-naeef.  

Again silence reigned over their table, while Abu-naeef was reading Samir's letter of introduction.    ‘Summon the waiter and pay the bill, we're leaving right away.’ He ordered Kassem, handing him the letter. 

‘What do you think of those... I mean our people in Amsterdam?’ He turned to Samir again, as if he was taking advantage of the few seconds left, using the spare time although the issue itself wasn't of any great importance.

‘They're all right I suppose, I've just met them that once.’

‘They're a bunch of no good loafers in my opinion; in your case they acted as they were told to �" promptly. Well you've reached your destination and you're welcome.’ He lied to Samir without any hesitation, without any warmth �" watching Samir's face with a grave look.                        

He didn't give me the tiniest crack of a chance, the b*****d! If I would have dared to suggest an opinion, a view, a hint of opposition, of objection �" if I would have dared just to open my mouth now, when Abu-naeef made it very clear, that the meeting is over. I would have turned into this mighty man, my new boss �" a hated enemy. That’s exactly the message, which I can easily read in his eyes. The thought flashed in Samir’s mind.

A waiter rushed to their table having sensed their intention, and right after the bill had been settled, Abu-naeef rose to his feet, with the rest of them following his example.  They shook hands warmly this time, and the boss and his silent deputy, left their company.

© Haim Kadman 1991 �" all rights reserved.

© 2012 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Samir seems to be a bit of a loser. He could have voiced an opion, stood up for himself.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haim Kadman

11 Years Ago

and end up with a cut throat... The waY of life, tradition, mentality is very different in the Mid-E.. read more
Marie

11 Years Ago

Sorry; I know little about the Mid-East.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

467 Views
1 Review
Added on September 20, 2012
Last Updated on September 20, 2012
Tags: lunch, hotel, meeting, introduction, impressions

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman