Distrust

Distrust

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A short excerpt of my book "The remote control".

"

 

Back at their flat, one floor below their admired net leader, the second floor of the apartment building that Nicole owned; the Gordins were discussing Nick's merits. They did not dare to do it during working hours in the drugstore, though they were rather tempted to, as the unexpected love affair between their beloved leader and Nick has developed somewhat too fast, before their own eyes.

In any case, there were the drugstore’s customers they had to attend to and deal with and above all, they were themselves a pair of very experienced pros.

But the real cause behind their patience was quite simple. They were an integral part of that show. That process of a budding love affair between their boss and that total stranger did not surprise them. They were well prepared for it, just as Nicole herself was.

She herself had updated them long before Nick's arrival, up to the last detail almost. Nevertheless, there is quite a difference between learning certain facts on someone beforehand and meeting that certain someone face to face. Although they had their first impressions of the “subject-matter” much earlier; when Nicole made clear above all doubts that it was “him”, the one they were anticipating with much curiosity.

They did not rush into premature conclusions and did not express their opinions, advice and so on. They knew well enough that this was the chosen man, and who had chosen him: Center’s experts!  A vague opinion, a point of view or even a hint, was a real risk and could endanger them both. That was what they thought and believed of course.

Nick on the other hand was chosen haphazardly by the VCs, on the basic assumption that any normal human being is able to improve his capabilities drastically under extreme stress.

Nicole as they clearly observed, seemed to be very pleased with Center’s “choice”. Things were running smoothly enough, just as Center predicted it would run. While the “subject matter” himself, well then, they did not know him yet; time alone would tell if he really is the right man, for such a sophisticated task.

                       

But tonight this man was to move in, to join their beloved net leader in her apartment; just one floor above their heads, after a very short term of wooing.

A move which was undoubtedly quite rush, a move of which neither of the Gordins has approved of among themselves. But still, neither of them did express it openly.                        

'I wouldn’t have wished to take part in such risky circumstances, in any other part of the world excluding the States, which is just the same haven as our own country.' Harry Gordin remarked, breaking the silence that engulfed them both, while sitting over a hasty dinner of take-away Chinese food.

'Where in any other country could you live under the same roof with your net leader and as a matter fact, with almost the whole net?'

'What's the matter dear, what eats you?' Rose asked him, hiding her own misgivings.                   

'Nothing at all, but I'm a bit worried, I think we should slow the pace down, we might overdo it I'm afraid; and that move in particular, might lead us all to unpleasant consequences...'

'What makes you doubt Nicole's reason and judgment all of a sudden? Or aren’t you simply jealous of that young man, are you?'

'Don't be ridiculous! You know how much I love you dearest and we both love Nicole, as if she was our own daughter. No, I'm not jealous, and I don't think I dislike Nick, but what do we know of Nicole's emotional side and reactions; she might have been swept away. She is flesh and blood just like anyone else, and she's been leading a lone and secluded life too long... That's what I am afraid of.'

‘She didn’t have to, and she could have led several affairs without our knowledge just the same �" that's what I think. Pour me some more wine would you dear.' She interrupted her own speech on purpose, with much tact; belittling the whole issue, without hurting her husband's feelings.

'She's supposed to be that kind of a woman who acts according to her whims whenever she likes to, she can afford it after all, remember? What I’m wondering is what's Nick's really like. I mean what are his capabilities, is he fit at all for our business?' She added laughing. 'He's more apt to be Nicole's body guard than anything else.'  

'That's not our concern, he's Center’s choice, and they know what they're doing pretty well.' Harry reminded her.

And if they were wrong and Nick would prove a failure, it’s their goddamn responsibility. He thought not daring to reveal even the tiniest bit of his blasphemous thoughts to his loyal wife.

© Haim Kadman 1991 �" all rights reserved.                        

© 2012 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

433 Views
Added on September 27, 2012
Last Updated on September 27, 2012
Tags: doubts, misgivings, discussion

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman