The valley of woe

The valley of woe

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A fantasy.

"

 

 I was walking on a narrow path through man made valley surrounded on both my sides by gigantic ruins, of what must have been a metropolis; where once life flowed with vitality, and there I was on my own with just my shadow accompanying me. Although I did not rush I wished to leave the place behind me, my ruinous past, forget it, and wipe it out of my memory. It was so vast so endless and stretched on and on before me…

The sky above me was clear but dark clouds raced up to the horizon. I thought I heard birds twitting. It revived my soul a bit, and I went on encouraged hoping to reach the end of that valley of woe.

Light was dimming gradually though the sky was clear still, it worried me and I was gripped with sudden tension. I inhaled the clear air breathing deeply as I walked, shook my shoulders and head vigorously �" watching all that time the horizon with its racing clouds, and that endless valley.

I heard a sudden noise of flapping wings behind me, I looked back but saw nothing �" it was so close, and then my eyes caught some movement in front and above. I raised my eyes and saw it soaring upwards with extended wings, on the warm air flow without a movement in broad circles. I hastened my pace without thinking how futile my efforts were; for that bird of prey soared swiftly till all I saw was a small dark speck, till it vanished completely from my sight. I slowed my pace disappointed and downhearted, was that bird an omen? Was it my guide, my salvation? I kept probing my mind while walking on undecided.

All of a sudden I was out on a barren plain, walking towards a distant grove. It grew very fast as if it was advancing towards me; and then I saw the hawk again, perched on a low branch not far off. I hastened my pace with much anticipation, eager to reach it.

That proud majestic fowl kept watching me with its fierce yellow eyes.

A yard away I streched my bare arm, inviting the hawk to perch on it. I did not mind its sharp claws, I haven't even thought of it - I woke up surprised and angry with myself, I have lost my chance was my first thought... I kept lying in my bed wide awake, letting the remnants of that dream fade away.

© Haim Kadman 2009 �" all rights reserved

© 2012 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on December 20, 2012
Last Updated on December 20, 2012
Tags: valley, ruins, woe, frustration, sadness, hope

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman