The very beginning

The very beginning

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A description of a certain meeting.

"

At about twelve forty five Harper Troy entered the small restaurant where the meeting was to take place. As soon as he crossed the restaurant threshold, he stood still and reviewed the rather small hall, looking for the right table.

Two middle aged couples sat near the entrance, and an elderly gentleman was sitting right behind them.

The best choice was a far left corner table, away from the rest of the few restaurant clients.

It was a small joint with no usher and no need for reservations, and thus he moved right away to the table of his choice.

He hardly sat down a few moments before the lone waiter was free to serve him, when D came in.

Harper rose to his feet to greet his boss, the commander in chief in fact. They shook hands warmly and sat down, facing each other.

'Well, how are you doing?' D asked, scrutinizing Harper's face with an inquiring stare.

'I'm fine thanks,' Harper replied wondering what else was on his big boss mind.

'You've hardly started your training and I do notice already positive results.' D noted with a tiny satisfied smile.

The waiter reached their table with a ready notebook and a pencil. 'May I've your order he asked D politely.

'A cup of black coffee,' D answered the waiter. 'But do go ahead order whatever you wish to have,' D turned to Harper. 'I'm on a diet but you must be hungry, go ahead please/'

What's the hell is this supposed to be, some kind of a test? Harper thought perturbed for a friction of a second, but he turned to the waiter and ordered a clear chicken soup, a steak and French fried.

I wonder whose test it's going to be…? He thought amused avoiding D eyes.

'You're the well organizes type, no doubt…' D said under his breath, as if was talking to himself.

The cup of black coffee was brought and right after it Harper's soup.

So they're doing their best to encourage me, to pump me up. They know how downhearted I'm, having made me join against my will. He thought encouraged in spite of his previous negative feelings.

D pulled a tiny plastic capsule out his shirt pocket. He opened it up, and drew a white pill out of it.

'It's against gaining weight,' he said with a broadening smile. 'You're young, you don't have such problems.'

With the meal over D asked him a few questions dealing with his background, which took an additional quarter of an hour; and that was it.

D paid the bill and they went out both of them. D bade him goodbye and went to his car and his waiting chauffeur; Harper turned round and made his way back to the "shelter" where he studied the vocation.

'Alors, mission accompli' (Well the mission is achieved successfully) their mission. He thought as he strolled along the pavement. He's tough as tough can be but he's okay and I like him, he treated me as if I was his own son. I wonder if they'll treat me at all if I'll be exposed in the future, which they have intended for me.

 

© Haim Kadman May 2012 �" all rights reserved.

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on January 11, 2013
Last Updated on January 11, 2013
Tags: time, meeting, restaurant, lunch, introduction, words

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman