The family visit

The family visit

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of my fourth manuscript "Summer Tempest?.

"

Erella has spent the weekend in Los Angeles with her sister, her brother in law and their offsprings to whom she was attached lately very much to her own surprise. Although she had no intention ever to give birth to a child, she enjoyed extremely playing with her sister's offsprings; she used to take them to downtown tours, shopping rounds and to entertainment centers, as if they were her own children. The way waiters, shop assistants and passers-by referred to her as thier mom, filled her with pride and pleasure.

This family tie got tighter in fact since her first visit in her sister's home, at the same historic date in which the brutal attack on the twin towers in New York City took place. She used to land at her sister and her brother in law home since then without a prior notice; after all her brother in law was one of her inferior employees, and got his advanced assignment thanks to her alone. One more source of enjoyment was using her late husband's private jet, which now stood to her exclusive disposal, and all the clamor around her each time she landed at Lax Los Angeles international airport pleaed her very much. She was welcomed by several senior directors of her corporation each time she landed there, and if before the horrendous disaster they had enough with polite greetings, weak handshakes forced smiles, and giving her a lift in a limo to her sister's home; well now after her status was made clear they hosted her for refreshments and updated in one of Los Angeles famous restaurants, before having escorted her the her destination. She would call her sister while being driven to her to update her at the last that she is about to arrive.

On this time just like to the two previous ones, she found her sister sitting in the living room before the TV screen.

Vivi left her seat to welcome her eldest sister, while the house maid that accompanied Erella returned to her duties and left the two sisters on their own.

'So how are you, and how is Itsik and the kids, and what's new?' Erella asked after she detached herself from her sister's arms and sat down in one of the armchairs.

'Oh we're fine and nothing has been changed you know it's the same routine as usual, Itsik at work and the kids are at school… What will you have Ellinka?

'Thanks Vivi nothing, what's this mood, what's wrong? Erella asked scrutinizing her sister's face.

'What makes you think…'

'I can read it on your face, have you quarreled with Itsik again?' Erella retorted raising her voice. 'And switch off the TV for God sake and let us talk quietly in peace.'

'No I didn't quarrel with Itisk, I don't find it easy living here I miss our country, that's all.'

'I just like you missed our country at the beginning and overcame it, and I'm convinced that you too will overcome it soon enough and you won't regret it, You may at the most hop for a short visit from time to time.' She consoled her sister scrutinizing again her sister's face. 'And how the kids are doing? I've noticed a great advancement in their behavior in my previous visit.'

'They're doing well enough they're kids you know, they catch the language very fast.'

'It should encourage you but I can guess that you don't keep contact with the local community here, and I do understand your problem.' Erella added after a pause of a few seconds. 'I guess the solution might be a transfer to New York… I'll promote Itsik to justify your transfer. I hear that he's doing well and he runs well his company.'

'What will become of the kids then, they've just acclimatized and they have six more months of studying yet before them?' Vivi protested worried.

'Okay will do it at the end of they year, and kids you know…That's what you said Vivi.' Erella quoted her young sister with a smile.

Vivi did not answer her she cleared her throat and moved her eyes towards the chest of drawers at the living room opposite corner, avoiding Erella's enquiring eyes. Her eldest sister's argument alarmed her momentarily, except the fact that her sister has identified accurately the source of her  problems, she did not wish to live closely under the direct and depressive shade of her eldest sister.

Erella realized right away what bothers her young sister, and hastened to change the subject.

'Have I told that poor Nehama died?'

'Yes you've already told it to me.' Vivi answered with demonstrative apathy.

'Oh yes you're right during our last phone conversation. Well I've so many issues to think of to solve, that's why I haven't remembered it.' Erella noted with a chuckle, which thawed as usual. her younger sister gloomy mood. 'I've promised Yoske to come to the tomb stone erectiion, but I couldn't to my regret.'

'And how Yoske accepted it?'

He consoles himself in the arms of another already; she made quite an effort to make me realize of her existence, while I spoke to him. You can't believe what an amount of impudence people have these days.'

'Oh really, he was your first boy friend, and it sounds like the green eyed monster talks from you throat.' Vivi remarked smiling with a clear malicious delight, taking advantage at the opportunity to pay her sister with her same coin.

'Do you really think that I'm jealous? I've invited him to come and work for me' and for all I care he may bring along his suaucy b***h.'

© Haim Kadman 2007 " all rights reserved.

 

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
Added on May 8, 2013
Last Updated on May 8, 2013
Tags: airport, landing, visit, family, takk, caht, offer

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman