The flight back

The flight back

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of my new novel 'The fateful opportunity'.

"

O

On his flight back Boris was depressed and extremely anxious, what has been a hide and seek game with the backing of a diplomatic passport; and was such a convenient game with all its advantages, plus the feeling of an elated status on top of it... It's all over now I'm burned… But he had all the time he needed to think and try to reach some solution, if there was one? He revived in his memory yesterday's lunch with Ivan, the representative of the other side; and Vera if these are their names, she was there just to ease the atmosphere. He said that they believe that I was born there; he even mentioned the town in which I was born…But he hastened to add that it's their belief, as if he was excusing himself; which means that if I'll cooperate they'll get me off the hook. They kept a strict control on every move I did in these two weeks, and they realized how good I felt to be there and speak my mother's tongue; I haven't met with any foreigner, and spent my time just with my own kind. I wasn't fully aware to it myself but they were, and that's why they treated me with kid gloves. The air hostesses started to serve lunch and it made him smile, as he was still buried in his thoughts on yesterday's lunch with his unexpected guests the beautiful Vera and Ivan. But what am I to do now after the failure of this mission, a mission that contradicted everything I did and was used to before? I wasn't transferred to some task force I still belong to the same unit, and was asked to take on this mission just once; it was an emergency Dave said, and no one else was available at that time. I'll have to ask to be sent to some forlorn hole with a new identity, and with new features after a plastic surgery, that's the only way I won't betray my own country. Whatever feelings I'd during these two weeks can't change the fact that I'm an American citizen. But what if they'll ask me to become a double agent, and stay most of the time in Russia. It won't work they know too much about me, and they surely wish to get in touch again with my parents, make them work for them as they were supposed to and for that purpose they were allowed to immigrate to Canada. I'll have to tell Dave everything and ask to have an interview with Jason our unit's head… With this conclusion Boris eased his troubled conscious and managed to doze up to the landing in New York's LaGuardia airport.

© Haim Kadman May 2013 " all rights reserved.


 

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your new novel...hows exciting Haim...I enjoyed the read...I wasnt quite sure about..doze up at the end...Did you mean He managed to fall asleep? Or he managed to wake up??...Rose:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Haim Kadman

10 Years Ago

I meant he managed to fall asleep at last, he wasn't able to at the beginning of the flight due to h.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 25, 2013
Last Updated on May 25, 2013
Tags: flight, thoughts, worries, conclusion

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman