The chase

The chase

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

A short excerpt of the book "On both sides of the abyss".

"

As soon as Nour left the hotel and boarded the taxi that waited for her, the clerk on duty dialed a number and phoned.

'She's on her way to the shuttle terminal.' He whispered and hung immediately off.

'He says she left the hotel on her way to the shuttle terminal.'

'It's just one line I hope,' Abdul Karim muttered as if he was thinking aloud.

'Yes it just one line from downtown over the old Souk and up to the old port.'

'How many stops are there?'

'There're just two as far as I know at the old Souk and the last station at the ancient port, and to that goal this service is intended.'

'What's the old Souk like, are there any shops there?'

'No just counters along the road, which one can watch while riding above with the shuttle.'

'Okay give me the keys and write the address on a piece of paper and I'm off.'

He rushed down and getting out of the building in mid way to the parked chopper, he made the pilot a sign to switch on the engine.

'We're heading north along the coast line to Bylbos I mean Jbeil.' He told the pilot as he boarded the chopper sat down and tightened the seat belt.

When they were close to Byblos ancient port he ordered him to fly over the sea close to the coast and cross the old port at a low height and turn back south. He was looking for a secluded spot on the shore to land the chopper, and there was one such spot behind a protruding cliff some fifty yards south of the old port.

'Okay switch the engine off again and wait for me, it might take a longer time compared to our previous landing.' Abdul Karim added and coughed slightly. 'Do you carry a gun?'

'Yes sir I've a Colt forty five sir.'

'Don't leave the cockpit and take care, I don't want to return and realize that some of those infidels that live here has hijacked the chopper.'

With these words said Abdul Karim jumped off the chopper and went on foot the fifty some yards up to the ancient port.

He boarded one of the shuttles and rode with it over the old Souk looking for her from above, although he was sure that she won't waste her time in shopping.

She's a wise young woman and she surely is in the port inspecting its state, as she was instructed; that's how she behaved in Aleppo, and he must have trained her well that American, which she loves so much. He concluded without any jealousy. He rode back to the ancient port, got off and waited for her at the shuttle station.

He smoked two cigars and was ready to light the third one when she appeared among a group of tourists, a few yards away. 

I would've recognized her if I haven't seen her prints and learned how she looks in her disguise by heart. He told himself amazed. .

She came closer and was about to pass him with a pale face, as if he is another stranger ogling her with interest.

'Ms. Ramzi I'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind?'

She stopped but did not answer him, and waited to his next move.

'Follow me please,' He told her in  rather soft voice.

'We're not far from my hotel,' she managed to mutter hesitantly. She was wise enough not to claim that she does not know who he is, or bring her doubtful immunity as an UNESCO inspector. While keeping her mouth shut does not mean that she knows him, while cherishing the slight hope that he'll check her papers and let her go.

'Let's go over there to the beach.' He said without referring to her suggestion.

She must be shocked, he thought watching her wide open eyes. She's sure I'm going to kill her… I must calm her down.

'Have you seen the helicopter flying over the old port an hour ago? It's parked over there and you'll be back in your hotel room before nightfall.'

She swallowed her saliva and followed him as he went forward without looking back, he knew that she'll obey; she's still playing her role of an UNSECO innocent inspector he mused.

When they reached the chopper he opened the door and ordered her to mount, He did mind her sitting between him and pilot, if she'll seat next to the door there is always the danger that she'll attempt to commit suicide by opening briskly the door and jumping out to her death.

© Haim Kadman November 2013 " all rights reserved.

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
Added on November 19, 2013
Last Updated on November 19, 2013
Tags: intelligence, suspens, suspicion, emergency, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman