Awakening the cocoon

Awakening the cocoon

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of the thriller THE REMOTE CONTROL JOB Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Captivating thrillers of past and current events

"

Awakening the cocoon

The Remote Control Job

An excerpt

The day has come...' The stranger said in a whisper almost, his smile still lingering on his lips.

'What day? Just what are you blabbering about?' Nick Retorted astounded. 'Who the hell are you? What do you want?'

The well dressed man facing him was a lean fellow about the average height of some five feet ten or eleven nothing more. If he wished he could have sent him flying with one good aimed blow. During his long time stay at home, since his return from Nam; he was not accustomed to be accosted in public by strangers, and had hardly any patience left for strangers and relatives alike.

'Relax,' the stranger told him. 'I've got a message for you.' He seemed to have noticed immediately how upset and angry Nick was, but he was not going to give up either and was not perturbed by it at all.

'You must be mistaken mister! I don't know you!'

'You are dead right, you don't have to...' the Slav smiled his amiable smile once more. 'Dear mister Spree...' He added in a lowered voice.

'I thought you were some kind of a creep or a queer... but you must be nuts, yes, youre simply nuts, mister!' Nick answered him contemptuously, trying in vain to hide the state of shock he was in; and pushing the stranger aside he started to move on, very eager to put an end to that strange encounter.

'Its from Nicole,' the Slav added nonchalantly close to Nick's face as Nick was already passing him. 'Don't you want to hear it?'

Nick stopped abruptly on hearing her name, he turned around and looked straight into the stranger's smiling eyes suspiciously. What that Slave who was already by his side again, had to do with Nicole, with his Nicole? He simply could not grasp.

'What's the rush Nick? Let me buy you a drink, and lets have a few words on that important issue.' the Slav suggested politely. 'At the bar over there,' he added nodding his head to the nearest bar's direction.

'Okay.' Nick answered meekly and followed the Slav without any objections.

'Its not a joint you're in the habit to frequent, is it?' the Slav asked, mixing slang and eloquent English in a funny effort, to sound as much as he could, like a well bred and educated American.

'No, I don't know the place, never been there.' Nick answered wearily, he was in a very strange state of mind, on one hand suspicious of that stranger and on the othere attracted to him at the same time.

'Fine,' the Slav muttered. 'Call me John and do me a favor, act as if you know me well. Hey, cheer up man! I've got good news for you.'

The fact Nick was troubled and worried didn't bother the stranger of course; he simply did not wish Nick to carry around that beaten look of his.

The Sla lead the way to the bar with Nick at his side, he kept scanning the passing crowd, as they were crossing the wide sidewalk, while sending encouraging smiles at Nick every time their eyes met.

A noisy group of three occupied the bar, a woman was sitting amidst two men; each one of them seemed to be doing his best to win her attention. They were putting a siege on her, right near the entrance. Sitting shoulder to shoulder on the bar's high stools; chatting loudly, exchanging jokes and bursting into fits of laughter, they did not pay any attention to the newcomers. They seemed to be too busy, fighting on the lady's heart.

But the Slav did not take any chances. Passing the triple joined backs he turned his neck to them, to evade their inadvertent or quite intended inquisitive glances, in the bar's broad mirror. He crossed the narrow hall in a decisive gait leading Nick to the dim booths at the bars other end.

'Arent you hungry?' He asked Nick as they finally sat in one of the booths facing each other. The right and befitting booth according to the rules, which the stranger himself chose for them.

'It isn't the right place to have a proper meal, but if you are hungry we'll have a drink or two and we'll look for a good restaurant, a first class one, what do you say Nick?'

'Thanks a lot, but I had dinner not long ago, just before leaving.' Nick answered turning down the Slav's offer, with a bit of impatience. He has already developed a dislike to that sleek well-dressed stranger with his jaunty airs; that seemed to know so much about him. But he sat quietly opposite that Slav trying to hide his impatience, waiting for the news that stranger had for him; news from Nicole, the message that stranger promised to deliver.

Nicole, will I ever see her again? I gave her up as lost, long ago! Good god! That open wound that started to heal, is giving me hell again...

'Well, never mind maybe next time,' the Slav said with a promising smile.

'What next time? What do you mean?' Nick asked him alarmed.

'I'm talking about dinner for both of us. You deserve to be treated in some better joints.'

'What about the message, you said you've got a message for me?'

'We'll deal with it at the right time.' The Slav warned him with a slight nod toward the booth's open entrance, turning in vain Nick's attention to the approaching footsteps of the waitress.

'Good evening honey,' the Slav beamed jovially to the young waitress, who greeted them with a ready pad and pencil.

'Well, what will you have?' He asked Nick.

'A double scotch on the rocks,' Nick declared, he was not very fond of booze, but the man offered him a drink.

'Make two of them,' the Slav told the waitress. She smiled back to him, over Nick's huge bulk and off she went to fetch their drinks.

'Haven't you seen the ad in the papers, and haven't you received any postcards lately?'

'Postcards...? Who would send me postcards? From Nicole, is that what you mean?' Nick exclaimed with a puzzled look on his face.

This man is talking to me in goddamn riddles! He thought annoyed.

'Never mind forget it,' The Slav changed his mind with a hint of despair. 'She misses you very much, and sends you her love.' He went on with indifference, but kept watching Nick's brightening face.

'If you still care for her and wish to see her again? We'll have to arrange it on a strictly secure and confidential basis. That means you'll have to act with the utmost discretion from now on. You shall not discuss the meetings' arrangements and anything that might be included in reestablishing your relations with her except with us. Therere two more things worth mentioning, you'll have to show a great deal of patience and above all, be loyal and obedient! We won't tolerate the slightest deviation'

It bits and fragments all over again... Nick thought gloomily. Im not allowed to see the whole picture at once... He did not pay attention to the subtle grim threats included in the bargain out of disappointment and ignorance, it did not bother him at all.

'Well, that's how it goes...' added the Slav the vague irrelevant phrase, on seeing the waitress crossing their booth's entrance again.

'Thanks honey,' the Slav flattered her again, smiling effusively up to her plain face. She blushed with sudden delight, put down their drinks and turned and left right away, quite elated.

'To Nicole's health,' the Slav declared. 'To the future reunion of you two and a better future for all of us!' He added while raising his full glass.

Repeating the Slav's toast, word by word in haste, Nick raised his own glass and both of them emptied their glasses in a few quick sips.

It's good stuff don't you think, how about another one Nick? The Slav suggested to him right away.

Thanks, Ive had enough.

'How do you get along, got a job?' The Slav inquired with much sympathy.

'Nope, I'd one for a short while a month ago, right now I stay with my parents, they take care of me till I'll find myself something to do.'

'Are you telling me you were discharged without any allowances, no help of any sort, say with a loan or in finding a reasonable job?' the Slav asked him feigning almost genuine surprise, 'you of all men with your remarkable war record?

'They had several offers but I turned them down.'

'But why, was anything wrong with those offers?' The Slav watched him with almost sincere disbelief.

'I deserve more than the little they'd to offer, not those lousy miserable jobs they suggested!' Nick answered heated up. 'They didn't believe in me, my testimony was doubtful they said; I was a fraud in their eyes.'

'You, a reliable and honest individual, to call you a fraud, that's simply incredible!' the Slav wondered aloud, as if he had known Nick for years. 'Its too bad, yes too bad, the faults of a decadent system, that's what I'd call it, based on greed and ingratitude.' With the softening phase over, the Slav made a short pause, to take a breath of air; but kept his eyes fixed on Nick's face, checking his own progress.

'Okay, don't worry pal, we'll take a good care of you. Now then...He went on talking as if he were sharing his own thoughts with Nick. 'You'll get what you deserve, we'll see to it and very soon. Fine, that's about it. I'll see you next Wednesday night, at seven oclock sharp.' He added changing his jovial expression into an extreme stern one.

'What... where?' Nick interrupted him, completely dumbfounded, by the fast turn of events. That sleek Slav was forcing himself upon him.

We'll meet at Central Park South, at its Columbus Circle entrance, do remember you'll have to enter the park through the gate and walk just a few steps along the path northwards, I'll be waiting for you there, I'll be around; youll have just to walk a few yards along that path and Ill find you. If I'm not there, just turn back, walk on and get out, leave the park without looking back. As if you changed your mind and you're on your back home; leave it without any hesitations or any guilty feelings. Move to another quarter with the subway, and find yourself a cozy nest, have a drink, a snack, whatever you feel like. You'll have to repeat the procedure in forty-five minutes.'

The Slav made a short pause, watching Nick intently a few seconds, and resumed his instructions.

If you won't find me there on your second time there, leave the place immediately and get back to your home, cause if I won't be there a second time, I won't be there at all.'

'Okay, but what am I supposed to do, then, if I wont find you?' Nick exclaimed quite annoyed. He couldn't understand why things had to be so complicated, what was the meaning of that bizarre procedure and why the Slav kept using those damn terms at all?

'Don't get so excited Nick and don't you worry so much, for I'll be there. But I'd to quote the rules to you, for if for some unexpected circumstances I won't be able to make it, you'll know how to react properly. But again, let me assure you I'll be waiting for you. Lets emphasize once more, if you won't find me you'll have to repeat the whole thing in forty five minutes time, that's all and we'll get in touch with you again.'

With a slight hint of impatience, the Slav summed the matter up, praying to God, wishing that the thickheaded novice facing him, shall finally understand his simple instructions.

'You're free to leave now, go ahead do whatever you had on your mind to do, just before we met.' He added eager to get rid of Nick's presence.

'I'll better write it down.' Nick hastened to suggest.

'Nothing of the sort,' the Slav exclaimed exasperated. 'Use your brain!'

As Nick rose slowly to his feet, the Slav was smiling again. The exasperation Nick caused him left his features, he was rather relieved to see Nick off.

 Haim Kadman 1989 �" all rights reserved.

www.amazon.com/Haim-Kadman/e/B009Z7XL8C

© 2014 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

916 Views
Added on December 30, 2014
Last Updated on December 30, 2014
Tags: SUSPENSE, CAPTIVITY, BRAINWASH, ESCAPE, ESPIONAGE, LOVE

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman