Th setup

Th setup

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

Chapter 7 of the thriller "An Irretrievable Step".

"

The setup

An irretrievable step


Chapter 7


Well I got rid of them I hope. Seri thought encouraging himself as he left the two organization representatives company. That piece of information about the Israeli agent that was caught in Damascus, and is being interrogated and tortured no doubt right now, was of course the reason behind his rejection.

He was on his way to his apartment and he did not intend to call Tami. The time was eleven fifty it was too late and she must be asleep, while he has to report back at his base rather early tomorrow morning. He has one more year to end his term as an instructor, and then he'll be sent to serve in an infantry regiment; which one he could not know of course at that early stage, but he hoped he'll be assigned to one of the best units, and he will advance in a short time to lead a company.

On the next morning before leaving for his base he called Tami. He knew that she is an early riser, but she does not leave her apartment before seven thirty.

'Hello my darling,' He said softly. 'How are you? I'm calling from home I was in town yesterday with them, up to eleven fifty.' He went on talking excitedly. 'I've rejected their offer, I'll tell you all about it next Friday.'

'Oh what a pity Dudi, what am I going to do till Friday and I miss you so much…'

'I'll do my best to get a short leave in one of the coming evenings, but I'll call you everyday my darling, bye till our next meeting.' He hung up without waiting for her answer.

His company commander and his two mates the platoon commanders were glad to see him back; they had too much work because of his short absence.

As he was far from his beloved Tami despite her being his temporary choice, time oozed by slowly.

On Wednesday on lunch break his sergeant told him that Tami called the base and asked to talk to him. Seri promised to call her every day but he did not do it, he recalled frustrated. He was too busy and the training took place outside the base, in the fields most of the time; and he had to interview his platoon soldiers in the evenings during two successive evenings, and whenever he remembered and wished to go over to the company's office to call her, some problem popped up and he had to solve it on the spot.

'She seemed in some kind of distress.' The platoon sergeant told him. 'Listen you're on duty tonight right? I can replace you at eight thirty pm after the guards' night parade, and after all the hot shots will be on their way to town. The commander on duty never leaves his office during the night, but you'll have to return tomorrow before seven am.'

He called Tami right after lunch and told her to expect him at about nine pm.

Seri was replaced by his sergeant as planned, and left the base at eight twenty five. He reached Tami's apartment at a quarter to ten pm. They did not leave her bedroom till dawn, when he had to return.

Although he was back on time and he was sure that his absence passed unnoticed, something seemed amiss. He could sense it in the thick atmosphere in the mess hall at breakfast, as he watched his mates' sour faces, and the strange way in which they ignored him.

'What's going on Barda?' He asked in a whisper his friend that sat beside him.

'You're in a deep mess; someone blew the whistle on you.'

'Do you know who it is?' Seri asked him aware right away how irrelevant his question was.

'I was sure that you do know who it could be…'

'It was a setup then?' Seri whispered alarmed.

'It could be a setup or it could be a coincidence just the same, according to the last rumor the commander on duty left his office at midnight and was surprised to meet your sergeant.'

As Seri joined his company staff before the morning parade, he was informed by the company commander that he has to report at the base commander's office at eight am sharp.

Seri's appearance at the base commander's office was extremely short. He was ushered into the base commander's office by the base sergeant major. He saluted and stood before the commander's desk to hear a short sentence:

'Lieutenant Doron Seri you're to pack up your things and leave the base, you are dismissed!'

He was terribly humiliated, but he went to his room in the officers' building, which was empty of course at that hour. They were all in the class rooms or at the nearest training field, while he had to pack and leave what was a second home for him. He went on foot to the main gate carrying his kitbag on his shoulder and a small suitcase in his hand, and while crossing the gate he did not salute back to the sentry. He hailed a cab and drove straight to his apartment.

@ Haim Kadman 2017- all rights reserved.



© 2020 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on October 3, 2020
Last Updated on October 3, 2020
Tags: suspense, espionage, intelligence, setup.

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman