The operator

The operator

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

Chapter 22 of the thriller "An Irretrievable Step."

"

Chapter 22


La Capela Sistina should be visited not just by Christians but by any human being that appreciates art and humanity's unique achievements.

This was the thought that crossed Ray's mind as he entered La Capela Sistina, and faced 'The Last Judgement' huge fresco by Michel Angelo. He raised his face and watched the ceiling and was shocked again.

To this hall of incredible human art achievements pilgrims should be made, for this historical hall is a marvel. He thought extremely excited, while watching the magnificent sights all around him and ignoring completely the many other visitors.

Some one's shoulder pushed him slightly.

'Watch your step,' Joe said to him in English treating him as a total stranger.

'I was in mid adoration sorry,' Ray answered him

The hall was quite crowded and they kept standing silently beside each other for some twenty minutes.

'What are your impressions,' Joe asked him in a whisper breaking the silence that reigned all over the hall.

'Well I'm amazed that's my first time…'

'Do you know that Michel Angelo didn't want to paint the Capela and was forced to?'

'Oh really, ' Ray wondered without the slightest pretence.

'Come I'll show you around and explain a few things to you, I'm an expert.'

After some additional fifty minutes they left the Capela Sistina and the Vatican Museum together, and Ray led the way to the Piacere Molise restaurant, Joe told him that he was hungry.

'Is there another way out except the entrance, have you checked it?' Joe asked him as they've ordered and the waiter left their table.

'No I haven't,' Ray admitted somewhat worried.

'You won't need to sneak away from pursuers here in Italy, but you should practice it and turn it into your second nature. You'll need such simple means of last minute retreat in the future.'

'Should I check it right now, while going to the service room?"

'No Ray there isn't any other exit possibility except the main entrance; I can see it from here, but this small restaurant with its few guests is okay. You may eat here up to Monday when you'll leave for Florence.'

The waiter returned with their order, another one brought wine; Joe tasted and approved it and they started to eat.

'Well I like the food,' Joe remarked smiling. 'But it seems to me that you aren't pleased with something Ray, you'd better tell me what bothers you.'

'My surname and why wasn't I instructed to reach Florence, instead of loitering in Rome the next ten days?'

'Your surname is a very common name like the English Smith surname for instance. It's used as a first name too and it will serve you well from now on. As for Florence, you were supposed to study here in Rome at the university of fine arts, but at the last moment two Coptic students were added to that course.' Joe was silent for a second, he ate the last piece of meat that was left on his plate, drank some wine and looked again at Ray's eyes. He did not expect Ray to react; he knew that he solved Ray's trivial problems. But he thought he should add a few more things.

'You'd better meet any one of them or some other members of the Coptic community here in Rome much later; meanwhile do visit the two Coptic churches of Santo Giorgio and Santo Marco up to Monday. Do visit these churches frequently even twice a day, but don't get in touch with any of the believers.'

'So our next meeting will take place at Florence then?'

'That's right Ray on Monday night after your arrival and at the end of your arrangements there.'

'Where shall I stay?'

'It's up to you Ray, after all you're experienced enough and you can take care of yourself. We'll meet at the restaurant 'I Latini' it's in 6/r Via dei Palchetti. Any questions Ray?'

'No I'm fine and thank you.' They stood up shook hands and Joe left.

Ray returned to his seat had another cup of coffee and waited the fifteen minutes he had to wait according to the rules. It was not imperative in this friendly country, but he thought he had better adapt Joe's advice for practice sake.

Is Joe much stricter than Vito, or have I gained experience and that's why Joe expects me to start acting as a pro should? I've changed I'm not the same person anymore. He concluded not daring to think of his real identity and his real name.

The first thing Ray did leaving the restaurant was to take the Metro blue line to Rome's train terminal. An internal flight to Florence was almost three folds dearer and he wished to see the country side on his way, and with an express train he will reach Florence in three hours and forty five minutes. If he'll board the train at seven am, he'll reach Florence at about noontime.

He sat on a stool near the terminal bar drinking a local lager beer and watched the crowded terminal, and the porters in particular; there were a handful of oriental types Arabs and Turks, but he did not draw the attention of any of them despite his somewhat dark skin. If any of them have noticed him at all, they would have surely referred to him as to another one of their own kind. It encouraged Ray and augmented his self confidence.

He returned to the City's center with the Metro, and in the first tourist information office he made the inquiries needed to find his way to the two Coptic churches. That was his mission in Rome for the time being, he visited on this same afternoon and evening the Chiesta Copta Orthodossa di Santo Goirgio and the other one di Santo Marco. It took some time and efforts but he used efficiently Rome's bus lines and visited both churches. He kept visiting the two churches every day, to show his face and get used to different religious signs and services, but he kept away from the pious believers, as an American he was not supposed to be a religious person that visits a church regularly, but just during the holidays.

At the weekend he took the ancient Rome and Colosseum tour at Saturday and on Sunday he took a trip to the forum and Titus Arch; to watch the relief carved in the inner part of the arch, of his captive ancestors carrying the temple's holy vessels and the holy candelabrum at Titus victory parade. The only evidence left to King Solomon's temple on Temple Mount in Jerusalem. 

@ Haim Kadman 2017 - all rights reserved.





© 2020 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on November 15, 2020
Last Updated on November 15, 2020
Tags: suspence, intelligence, espionage, vatican, chapel, sistine, meeting

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman