The Red Square – Requerdos

The Red Square – Requerdos

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

Tanya likes caviar and champagne too.

"

Sitting down opposite Tania, he turned his eyes back to the singer watching her. She was bowing to the few guests smiling and thanking them time and again. A dark featured buxom, middle aged woman, very good looking though.

She’s a gypsy and it’s a famous gypsy song, doesn’t it remind you something?’

Sure enough, love making that’s what that song reminds me so vividly, just in its rhythm; and how clever of you to insinuate it, and pretend at the same time as if you may have meant something else… Paul thought as he watched her beaming face. ‘A gypsy song  you say, well yes it’s a lovely tune,’ He muttered clearing his throat. They know exactly in what state I’m and of that delicate matter in particular, it’s so obvious… Jesus Christ I miss Alicia so much, it’s six weeks now and I haven’t told her a thing. I’ve lost her for good, the fool that I’m. He took a long breath of air into his lungs and exhaled it  slowly, watching Tania’s lovely face. She must be thinking that I’m pondering what my  next step is going to be, should I cross the Rubicon or… In other circumstances I would have laughed in her face.

A waiter reached their table greeted them politely in Russian and handed Tania the menu, it was written in Russian of course. Tania raised her eyes to him with a mute but very clear question.

You choose and double it.’ Paul told her.

I’ll have just  caviar, I’m on a diet.’ She said with a cheerful laugh. ‘But go ahead tell me what you’d like to eat.’

Oh, I’ll just have something to drink a double scotch or…’

Let’s have champagne instead and celebrate our meeting.’

Okay, it’s a good idea.’ He agreed and kept watching her. She’s sure I’m under her spell. No wonder, she’s a rare beauty and she’s the first one I didn’t reject. He thought somewhat worried, looking around him he noticed that the little group of musicians including the gypsy singer cleared the stage, and were not to be seen. A soft background music hardly audible reached his ears, some pianist played it in a far corner. Incredible, they’re taking pains not to disturb our ‘amorous chat.’ Paul kept thinking amused and worried at the same time.

Shall we draw an itinerary, your private itinerary, what would you like to see?’ She asked. The waiter has not returned yet, and Paul ignored her right forearm laid invitingly on the table at easy reach. She had to be cautious yet.

I was on my way to the Red Square, as for other sites well…’

You’ll have to rely on me then.’

The waiter was back at their table unloading his platter, before Paul managed to answer her.

Smiling politely to each one of them in his turn, the waiter pulled the champagne bottle from the ice bucket, released the cork with its cheerful pop noise, and poured its liquid into their glasses. Having put the bottle back in the bucket, he made a courteous small bow and left.

Well nazdrovie’ Tania declared raising her champagne tumbler.

So be it, nazdrovie’, Paul echoed after her, raised his own tumbler and clinked it with hers. Bottled tap water that’s what it is… He thought with scorn as he put down his tumbler on the table. Without wasting anymore time he pulled out his wallet laid before Tania’s dumbfounded eyes a one hundred ruble note on the table.

‘Sorry I’ve got to meet someone, I’ve almost forgotten.’ He told her rather briskly, got to his feet and left. At the wardrobe a few steps from Tania the attendant had trouble it seemed to find his coat. He could have a look at Tania’s pale face, if he would have turned back, but he did not. Nevertheless, he had to wait some five minutes till the attendant finished fumbling in frenzy, and came at last with his coat. They’re desperate it seems, they hope I’ll change my mind…It could have been real fun if I won’t have to pay dearly for it �" they were sure no doubt that I’ve given in, they’ll be after my hide now…

The husky at the entrance did not seem hostile or threatening to Paul, on the contrary he stared at him with a puzzled look as if he was wondering “He’d such a chance and he gave it up?”

Once outside in the cold early afternoon, Paul felt much better. He did not bother to check surveillance, he knew they were behind and in front of him; two crews at least plus a car or two. He had a short minute of elation of having won the game; he did not succumb to temptation, to beastly urges, out of fear or self pity. It did encourage him a bit his small victory, but it was not over yet. His days in this hostile capital were numbered. He did not think they will bother to bump him off, he was not that important and he was ‘burned’ from the very beginning, he did not manage to harm any of their interests yet. It seems as if they were informed of my arrival long before I’ve boarded the plane that flew me here, though it’s just an assumption �" a wild one. He brooded turning thoughts in his mind, as he was walking among the few pedestrians on the broad pavement.

After some twenty minutes of a slow pace stroll, he reached the Red Square with the Kremlin towering far off at its end. In comparison to its huge dimensions, it could be termed as empty, he could see a few dots of individuals or specks of tiny groups here and there �" the gaps were that broad, it made him smile with satisfaction; he was right they will have to stay behind �" far behind. He went with a quick step up to the square’s heart, and turned around in every direction, a shade of a smile lingered on his face.

Come on, get your binoculars, your telescopes, your electronic gadgets, you miserable devils! He almost shouted with delight. In other circumstance, in close range it would have been a stupid mistake, but they may conclude from that far range that I’m impressed by those rare sights. So I’d better recall where I’m and be rather cautious. He reminded himself in a second thought. He roamed there a few more moments, got closer to the Kremlin wall, walked along it and watched the impressive towers; but as it grew darker under the clouded sky, Paul decided to return to his hoted �" he had enough for one day.

 

 Haim Kadman 20.10.2010 �" all rights reserved.

© 2011 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
Added on July 19, 2011
Last Updated on July 19, 2011

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman