Epilogue - Recuerdos

Epilogue - Recuerdos

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

Things are very clear all of a sudden, Paul has to leave.

"

He woke up at about eleven am the next morning, he was not under any kind of pressure �" there was nothing he could do except have breakfast, lunch, dinner and keep on waiting in vain; knowing there is not the slightest chance that any would be agent, spy or dissident would try to contact him.

At about eleven thirty he was downstairs in the lobby on his way out. As he came out he realized that some drastic change has taken place, his pursuers changed tactics �" it was open surveillance from now on, and there is just one meaning to it: “get the hell out, leave our country, or…”

Bless them all, foes and friends back home alike…’ Paul mumbled with impatience, meaning the opposite. I can’t leave without a confirmation to do it. Well it’s a nasty upgrade, but I shall have to live on with it… He thought a bit perturbed though. At the first pedestrian crossing he stopped, ignoring the one that walked about a yard before him and the second one that was just one step behind.

People might think they’re my bodyguards. He thought amused while crossing the road. The poor devils must be mad at me, having waited since the early morning hours… Paul thought while having a late breakfast in the nearest restaurant. He sat over his black coffee with a drop of rum for quite a while, there was no need to rush or to leave and face his ‘bodyguards’ too soon. After having paid his bill he went to the restroom and shut himself in one the cabinets. As the water gushed out and he opened up the door, two big men pushed inside rudely as if he did not exist. He had to squeeze himself out between their sturdy muscular bodies. They’re not after remnants of documents that I supposedly tried to get rid off, it’s simply part of the harsh treatment that I’ll have to live with from now on… He concluded gloomily as he went out.

On the pavement before the restaurant he met Tanya again. She did not smile this time.

‘You’d better leave!’ She said watching him with a stern gaze. ‘That’s an advice from someone that likes you.’  She added and off she went.

 

Twenty four hours later Paul landed at about midnight in JFK airport, where Earl a colored member of the department waited for him at the terminal’s entrance. It was the same type that usually met him when he returned home from a certain mission. He looked just like one of the airport’s porters; he took Paul’s brief case and led him to a secluded ante room to wait for his luggage. During the previous few times that Paul met him, he was cheerful and chatty. He was much older than Paul, but friendly with a good sense of humor.  They used to pass the twenty minutes or more chatting and joking, this time Paul sat opposite Earl’s bowed head.

Is anything wrong? You’ve got some bad news I guess…’

Well if you’ve already guessed I won’t keep it from you.’ Earl replied raising his head and facing  Paul’s weary and worried features.

‘Your big and mighty boss is out, and there’s going to be a KGB style purge, just like in soviet Russia �" you’re included in that mess.’

After a long and silent ride Earl dropped him near his Manhattan lodgings, and Paul thanked him and clambered upstairs to his apartment carrying his belongings. Once inside he switched on the lights, left his luggage near the front door and sat in his living room to think things over. He had no intention to call his parents, his relatives or friends, nor the department �" he had just one crucial thing on his mind.

  

The next day Paul flew to Miami and took a cab from the airport straight to the ‘Mango tropical café’, hoping he’ll find her in mid work. She was not there but he did find out that she is supposed to be on tomorrow’s night shift. He booked a night in the nearest hotel and roamed about town to pass his time.

At about four pm the next day he went over on foot. As he was getting near he saw her serving a client in front of the entrance, on the pavement with her back to him. He went inside and sat next to one of the tables. She came back in saw him but went on, as if he was another client, a total stranger.

A waiter which she surely sent came to his table. Paul pulled out his wallet and offered the waiter a one hundred dollar bill. ‘Tell her I must see her, just a few words…’ Paul added in Spanish nodding his head in her direction. He did not have to explain, they knew him well enough over there. He dated her during his three months stay in Miami, interrogating Cuban refugees �" just before he flew to Moscow.

Alicia moved to his table with a very resolute step, and a mien that worried him. She stood before Paul watching him with a pale face and tight lips.

I was sent on a mission that failed, I’ll be fired next week, and be a free man. It’s a sure thing; I won’t need to hide anything anymore from you.’

What will you have sir?’ She asked with much effort and a heaving bosom.

Thank god, he thought exhilarated and muttered relieved, ‘Anything, no matter what, just anything.’

© Haim Kadman 20.10.2010 �" all rights reserved.

© 2011 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on July 21, 2011
Last Updated on July 21, 2011

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman