The whale

The whale

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An opinion on human relationships.

"

The whale

 

I came back from work exhausted, had a bite to appease my starving tummy and rushed to my computer, to have a quick look. It lasted several hours as usual. I shut it off regretfully; I almost fell asleep then and there.

Well I’ll neither have sweet dreams nor nightmares, I thought somewhat relieved.

I woke up or was I dreaming, it was broad daylight anyhow, and I was in my apartment. I knew it’s my apartment but it seemed to be my first time there. I roamed in my rooms crowded with brand new pieces of furniture, on Persian carpets, light streamed in from the French windows and a light pleasant breeze blew through the veranda. I walked over and saw the wide sea down below, smooth as a mirror �" like a huge pond up to the horizon. It was a fine house an integral part of the shore it seemed. I looked left and right, white sand stretched on both sides and a pale red cliff rose behind me. No bathers not a soul, just the light breeze and the smell of sea salt in my nostrils.

I thought I heard a groan. I looked down again and saw a huge body of a whale. I could not see its head just its body and tail. A trawler came by suddenly, its diesel engine sounded like a chopper’s. A lone man stood on its bow. He was holding a big coil of rope in his left hand. The trawler stopped close to my veranda, no anchor was thrown over its bow or stern; while that half naked man with the coil of rope leaped over the bow and walked on the water like Jesus Christ on the Sea of Galilee. He must have reached the shore on my left hand side, but I could not see him. I went to the veranda’s left corner and looked at him at a rather close range. He turned to me with a look of disdain, to my surprise �" but it didn’t discourage me.

‘You came to…’

‘If you got the idea, why ask.’ He said angrily.

‘I thought you’d better tie his tail and pull him back.’

‘Mind your own business.’ He retorted, and went back to his trawler, upon the water again �" and vanished…

He could at least let me see him sail to the horizon. I thought disappointed. Is he that sensitive or that conceited? I could not make up my mind.

I was down on the shore beside the whale’s huge head. Well I’m not Jonah, God didn’t send me to warn Ninveh’s citizens, and that whale’s mouth wasn’t big enough to swallow me. I didn’t worry. I extended my left hand…

‘Don’t touch me!’ The whale said.

‘I want to push you back.’

‘I don’t need your favors, I’ll manage.’ He uttered hardly moving his big lips. ‘Stop gawking at me!’ He went on. ‘Are you really surprised to hear me?’ He groaned or was he laughing. ‘Well I was cast off on so many beaches, and so many little creatures like youself tried to help me, I caught up with your retarded language…’

‘Retarded language, do you mean…’ I stammered back astounded.

‘You never understand each other, or do you? One little word of your funny language can cause a mischief.’ He replied amused, and opened his mouth as if he was smiling. He uttered another groan and pushed himsefl back, leaving me all alone on the white sea shore. 

 

© Haim Kadman 2008 �" All rights reserved.

© 2012 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
Added on March 31, 2012
Last Updated on March 31, 2012
Tags: whale, shore, sea, language

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman