Broken Vows (Chapter 2)

Broken Vows (Chapter 2)

A Story by Harsh Kumar Chaudhary

2

 

Richa saw Lakshya the next day when she was again called for the interview. Richa now knew Lakshya was from a different company than the company she applied to, but she was impressed how a man faked an interview, ideally just to spend some time with her. She walked to Lakshya and said, “I didn’t know Jiggle too had vacancy for financial advisor.”

Lakshya smiled with his head down, then apologized. 

It’s okay… was an excellent way of knowing someone without letting them know. She teased.

I don’t know… I just saw a beautiful lady and wanted to talk. That’s it. Lakshya said.

Well, the good news is, you will now get to see this so-called presumed beautiful lady daily. Richa hinted.

I can interview you again if that’s okay with you. Lakshya indirectly asked her out.

You have my number, and you can inform me whenever your company needs an advisor. Richa hinted straight.

 

Lakshya, for the first time in his life, felt like he was in love. He wanted to celebrate this feeling, his car accelerating below 40kmph after ages. Continues flashes of his last meeting with Richa and her words of hints knocking his ears. He had a constant smile and had already imagined his first official date with Richa.

 

Reality hit him hard between the smiles of fantasies when Vaidehi opened the door. His face turned pale as if he had seen Richa and Vaidehi together.

 

Vaidehi hugged him, one of her gestures expressing love. “am I betraying my wife.” Lakshya thought.

I came home late, thinking, why don’t we cook together today? Vaidehi asked.

Lakshya agreed with a fainted smile. I’ll change and join you in the kitchen. He said.

Richa and Vaidehi’s faces were reflecting in the mirror beside his own. He has to choose between a wife and a new girl or is it too early to think about it. Not loving your spouse is not a crime, but dating someone out of marriage is. He splashed water on his face “let’s see what the future holds for me”, he said to the mirror. Changed and submitted his present to cook with Vaidehi.

 

 

His eyes were on his laptop, but his focus pointed to the mobile screen. He was expecting a notification from Richa. He decided to check if Richa was online, but she wasn’t. He clicked zoomed her DP. She wore a silky black one-piece figure-hugging dress, high heels and hair left open to explore the winds. The background suggested it was a picture from some bar. He translated her facial expressions as peak happiness. He was so lost in her image that he didn’t notice the knocks on his cabin door.

Come in, he commanded.

Sir, an Instagram account of Jannat Zubair Rehmani has been hacked, and our white hat hacker is on leave. His employee informed.

What? Does she know it? Lakshya questioned.

No, sir, she is currently busy with her shoot.

What backup plan do we have for this?

Nothing sir.

Okay, provide me with her account details. I will call my friend for help.

Okay, sir.

He called his ex-colleague Amruta for help to which she agreed.

 

Between this hustle, he didn’t notice his phone which had a message, I’m in the canteen. Do you care to join? (30 minutes ago)

 

S**T, he blurted out the moment he read her text. His biggest regret was that he missed out on their first lunch.     Lunchtime was over. He had no options left. He texted her back, ‘sorry… didn’t see your text… an unwanted issue popped up and was busy in that’.

‘I’m leaving for home. Have some important work. Will see you tomorrow. Richa replied.

He banged his fist on the table. I hate you, dear destiny.

 

He was home early that day, even before Vaidehi came. He is sitting on the sofa, staring at the ceiling with Richa running through his mind. He thought of cooking alone. Butter chicken would be a better option for Friday night, he thought. He ordered raw chicken and started preparing for puree. He had a life-flashing smile while adding the ingredients of puree. An unrealistic scenario of him serving butter chicken to Richa. Lakshya was talking to himself as if Richa was already in the kitchen, seeing him cooking. Chicken arrived. "Look, I'm not someone who cooks daily, so however it will be, just don't complain, okay. Or maybe you can complain, after all you are the one I love. I can bear your complaints and will work on my cooking skills". Lakshya said to invisible Richa's presence. Lakshya was cautious while adding spices; he wanted them to taste spicy and fresh. Butter chicken was now left to ripen on low flame. Now time for 'Naan Roti'. He purposely applied flour to his forehead while kneading the dough. As if Richa will come to wipe it off. This thought made him smile. Naan done, butter chicken done, now time for plating. Lakshya took out the new cutlery and decorated the dining table.

He knew, nor had he called Richa for dinner; neither did she know he was already practising their date. He proudly extolled his hard work, and his smile turned upside down.

"OH MY GOD", am I dreaming or what? How on earth do you remember this? Vaidehi said in shock.

She came running and hugged him tight; you remembered the date when we first met; I thought you had forgotten. Vaidehi said.

Lakshya had no idea about their first meeting, his hand were not involved, and it was clearly a one-sided hug. While cooking, he didn't remember his marriage; recalling his first date was a far cry.

And you cooked alone today? Vaidehi asked in surprise.

Just for you. He answered with a fainted smile.

Don't love me this much; I'll cry. Vaidehi said.

I don't love you. Lakshya said in his mind.

Let me see what my husband has made to make this night more beautiful. She said, breaking a hug.

He saw all his happiness jumping off the balcony. This is not for you; I made this for my love. He thought.

"ARE YOU FOR REAL"? I was craving Butter chicken all day and planned to order it tonight. Vaidehi said.

Vaidehi was shocked and surprised at the same time.

Lakshya was upset but didn't want to hurt her; he was continuously passing a tight-lipped smile. He had no other option.

Lakshya, in his fairy world, made dinner for his first love for the first time, he was so damn happy, but Vaidehi, who was not at fault, unknowingly shattered his fairy world. Lakshya felt broken, like he had lost his dream or someone had snatched his goal.

Vaidehi served herself. I have never tasted more delicious chicken than this. She said.

Thank you, Biwi. Lakshya said. All for you. He added. Only he knew that he was pretending to be happy.

He purposely left some of it and packed it in tiffin to offer it to Richa the next day.

 

Lakshya, when he entered the bedroom, he saw Vaidehi waiting for him on the bed. One look, and he knew she was horny. Not again, he thought. He lay on the bed with his back facing Vaidehi. She hugged him from back and kissed his neck. Lakshya turned to face her and said, 'I'm tired today, may be tomorrow.' This was the first time when Lakshya had denied her in bed.

It's okay, hubby. She replied and kissed his lips before wishing him good night.



Lakshya came office early and walked into the garden area, pretending to be on the phone while waiting for Richa.

His eyes were checking every face but were mainly looking for Richa. He took out his ring between matching faces and hid it in his pocket. When she came, he had a smile on his face. He waved at her, and she waved too. She was walking toward him. He was still pretending to be on the phone. She came and shook hands. Lakshya then ended a non-existing call.

You think you need to look more beautiful to be a Financial Advisor. He complimented her.

Beauty attracts money, and money attracts beauty. She replied.

Well, in that case, you have attracted something else too.

What?

Butter chicken.

You made it?

I don't know how, but yes, I did.

I'll have this in lunch, and I hope you won't get stuck at work again.

He smiled apologetically.

See ya.

Bye.

 

Six years of wearing this ring never made him feel heavy, but today when it was in his pocket, it felt like weight. Heavy heart weight

© 2023 Harsh Kumar Chaudhary


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on March 28, 2023
Last Updated on April 26, 2023