Broken Vows (Chapter 3)

Broken Vows (Chapter 3)

A Story by Harsh Kumar Chaudhary

3

 

Lakshya juggling with multiple thoughts while swirling himself on his office chair, staring at nothing in particular. If he has made the right decision of planning to get into an extramarital affair? And how will he manage two moods of being a boyfriend and a husband for two different women? Should he register himself on this trip of falling in love for the first time, or should he continue faking things and let everything be as it was? He knew his situation would take him on a joyful ride, but the roads will have 'Regrets Only' signboards. He was on two boats with different destinations. If he chose love, he'd betray his wife; if he chose his wife, he'd betray himself. Love means to challenge limits and push boundaries but at what cost?

     The alarm rang; it was time for lunch. He had set the alarm to avoid missing his first lunch with Richa. He got up excitedly. When he left his cabin, he realized almost everyone in this building knew he was married; people wouldn't hesitate to include him and Richa in their bitching session if they got the slightest hint of them dating. Meeting at a canteen or any place nearby was not a good idea. He quickly grabbed his phone and texted Richa to meet him at the terrace.

Richa found it awkward. "I am already in the canteen." she texted back.

He knew he would probably tell the truth if he probed this discussion. "Okay, I'll be there in a minute", he replied.

For the first time since the existence of his company, he found himself sitting with his employees for lunch.

 

Lakshya was the centre of focus for his employees. Everyone welcomed him with warm gestures, and everyone offered him food from their tiffin. He asked them to enjoy themselves.

Richa sitting with her colleagues noticed it, both saw each other, but none chose to join the other or even wave a "Hi".

a curious young designer asked,

Sir, you joined us at lunch for the first time. Is there anything special?

Lakshya smirked before he answered, "just wanted to know what you guys b***h about me".

All shared a good laugh together.

They were continuously checking out each other from the corner of their eye. After a few minutes, Lakshya thought of ordering coffee and croissants. Most of the crowd was already back to work when his coffee arrived. Richa was scrolling through Instagram. Actually, she was waiting for Lakshya to approach her. Lakshya picked up his coffee and plate of croissants and went to Richa.

You don't want anybody to know you are talking to a girl from another office. Is that so? Richa asked straight.

I don't want anyone to b***h about us and make rumors. He said, sipping his coffee.

Is that why you called me on the terrace? She fired another question.

Yep. He answered.

His etiquette of respecting privacy was evident to Richa, which she found rare in men she had encountered till now; she was smiling.

Lakshya was still alert and checked who was looking at them and who was not.

You hold a high designation, right? Richa asked.

Not that high, Lakshya answered in a wobbling voice as he was chewing on croissants.

What's your post at Jiggle?

CEO.

Seriously, not that high? Richa said in a shocking tone with her eyebrows raised.

He realized he shouldn't have said that. That's not a big deal. He said,

Yeah, being a CEO is a minor deal for a CEO. She said, mocking him.

Ha ha ha. He pretended to laugh.

BTW, how was Butter chicken?

Oh... you know, when I opened the tiffin box, everyone snatched it, and I didn't even get to taste it. She said,

He cursed her colleagues under his breath.

But the way they were enjoying it, it seemed delicious. And I told them that I had made this.

You or I made it; it's the same thing. He thought.

Lakshya blushed and tried not to make it obvious.

She got up and said, I am not CEO, so I'll have to rejoin work after lunch. She left, waving her hand as a bye.

A 30-minute long lunch felt like 3 minutes. He clicked his tongue and went back to the office.

 

When you love someone, your mind refuses to accept the zone called Friendship. Lakshya had no interest in giving their bond a wind of Friendship. He was eager, or maybe desperate, to call it a relationship. He knew Vaidehi would break down if she ever found out about this recipe. It was the first promise he made to himself that he won't hurt his wife at any cost, but in his case of love, hurting Vaidehi was the limit, was the boundary he had to push. Lakshya shattered the glass of his thoughts when Vaidehi broke the hug in bed to use the restroom. How cold heart-ed he has become now? He is thinking of another girl while being in bed with his wife.

 

Richa had an idea that Lakshya liked her, and bringing her tiffin, stamped her concept come true. She also wanted to know about him, but there were yet so many things to know about. She remembered the fake interview when she met him the first time. She found herself blushing; she softly slapped her forehead.

Lakshya and Richa were on the same beach of fantasy, looking at the endless sea of possibilities for their future.

Richa had had 2 relationships, and none of them made her feel butterflies in her stomach, which Lakshya had done in a few days. Should I first know him and then decide to get in with him or should I get in and explore him? Richa thought before she retired to bed, and then Instagram Reels grabbed her attention.

 

She was curious to know him and the fact that they would be more comfortable with no one known around. "Lunch at a cafe?" Richa texted Lakshya.

Lakshya intentionally took 5 minutes to reply. "Rubaru, Advant Business park". He proposed a location that he never went to.

Thumbs up. She replied, signaling her Yes.

 

The meeting went longer than expected.

 

Richa felt emotionally tilted towards Lakshya, but she was yet to know about the ring he kept hidden in his pocket. Lakshya told her everything about him, and only he knew it was all half-truth that he lived alone in his 3BHK flat in Versova.  He was still single. Had a long relationship that didn't work out. He was careful not to invite her by any chance as he knew he could not afford his to be first girlfriend to meet his already wife. Richa lived as a tenant in a PG, and she was shy to invite him to her messy comfort zone. They both comforted themselves by not asking the other. Sitting against each other, she was observing small details about him. He was trying everything he remembered from the article he read last night on "How to impress a girl on first date", but his maturity still suggested him to be his authentic self. How crazy this love thing is? It makes you consciously do weird things, which you probably wouldn't accept even at gunpoint. He intentionally acted a few times clumsily to convey to her a message that the child within is still alive. Richa was partially impressed, but the experiences she had had in her past relationships commanded her to stay cautious.

 

They were too late in the office after lunch. After dropping her at the parking area, he called his friend, who was the director where Richa worked. The moment she entered the office, she realized she was late.

Every face staring at her and trying to say, ‘the boss is going to kill you.’ Nothing happened. Every other colleague just couldn’t digest it neither could Richa.

What are the effective ways of keeping wife and girlfriend happy simultaneously? This needs much more managerial skills than handling a company. Lakshya was just back from a date, trying to involve himself with work, while glimpses of smiling and laughing Richa attracted his attention. He wanted his mind stable at work.

Well, his phone screen flashing “Biwi” does the work; it not only stabled his mind from beautiful distractions but also made him tensed about a part of the day, which is left to live with Vaidehi.

Vaidehi called him to invite him to an Open Mic show at Chembur, where she decided to perform her poetry tonight.

Lakshya was wondering if he should go and see his wife perform or if he should ask Richa for a dinner date. He settled with attending Vaidehi’s performance. Asking Richa for a dinner date on the same day might look too desperate.

 

Walking to his car, he whistled an old romantic Bollywood song, ‘Chand Si Mehbooba’. He dedicated this song to Richa in his mind. It was their second lunch, and they are yet to click a picture together. Pictures are none less than magic; you capture a memory and create a link to that memory in your mind. Later, when you revisit photos, every flashing picture opens the connection of memory with an essay of emotions, stories and memories of that picture. Lakshya wanted to see himself with Richa. Do we look beautiful together? Do we look like a couple? She is indeed gorgeous, but do I look good with her?

 

After a good 30-minute ride, he reached the location. Onenest Open Mic. He had already heard so many poems from Vaidehi, but this was the first time she was performing it in front of many people.

He spotted Vaidehi and went to her; she gave him a side hug and said, ‘I am going next’.

He replied with a smile.

What am I doing here? Lakshya thought.

I hope he likes my poem. Vaidehi thought.

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen. I am Vaidehi Jaiswal Ahuja. I’ll be performing a poem tonight and…

I dedicate this poem to my husband.

 

             रहना साथ मेरे यूँही एहसास बनके,

मेरा ख्वाब बनके,

मेरी आस बनके,

हर खूबसूरत सा राज़ बनके,

मेरे दि�™ की आवाज़ बनके,

रहना साथ मेरे यूँही एहसास बनके,

 

रूह छू �™ेना,

दि�™ में बस जाना,

हर नारज�-ी को परे कर,

नेरे जाना,

ठहर जाना वही पर,

मेरी मन पसंद किताब बनके,

रहना साथ मेरे यूँही एहसास बनके,

 

घड़ी से वक़्त छीन  �™ेना,

�™कीरोंसे किस्मत �™े आना,

हर जर्रा तुम्हें पुकारे,

कुछ ऐसा कर जाना,

थमना हाथ मेरा,

कोई मदहोशी शराब बनके,

रहना साथ मेरे यूँही एहसास बनके,

 

रब से खुशियां मां�- �™ेना,

अ�™्�™ाह का करम �™े आना,

शीत�™ हवा�"ं सा हमारा नसीब हो,

भ�-वानको तू ये समझाना,

करीब आना मेरे,

तुम सर्द में आफताब बनके,

रहना साथ मेरे यूँही एहसास बनके,

 

सावन से मोहब्बत  �™े आना,

बाद�™ों में रं�- भर आना,,

कड़कती धूप में भी इश्क़,

के तरीके खोज �™ाना,

बाहों में भर �™ेना,

हर कर्ज़ का हिसाब बनके,

रहना साथ मेरे यूँही एहसास बनके,

रहना साथ मेरे यूँही एहसास बनके,

 

 

 

Hoots and a massive round of applause, she received. Vaidehi climbed down the stage, blushing, welcoming praises at every step she forwarded towards her husband. A woman sitting beside Lakshya called him a ‘Lucky Man’. Vaidehi came and hugged him, and the small crowd went berserk again, celebrating their bond and her poem. Lakshya stood still. Is this world wanting or pushing me to stay with my wife only? He felt an external force propelling his soul to wake up and see what Love looks like. Non-existing voices scream at him, ‘Being a responsible husband is not enough; you should love your wife’.

Before Lakshya could realize what was happening to him, a drop of his tear fell on the cheeks of Vaidehi. She lifted her head from his chest, looked at him, and found his teary eyes; she couldn’t stop her tears.

Between her tears, she whispered, ‘I love you’. These three magical words made Lakshya welcome a sleep-less night.

 

 

Lakshya lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling, lost in his own world. He felt the mattress churning when Vaidehi climbed into bed. He couldn’t resist but hugged her and landed a pure forehead kiss. ‘I love you’, he said.

That kiss caressed her soul, and she decided to make this divine loveable quite merry.

 

Deception is easy if you feel deceived. Lakshya never felt affectionate towards anyone, which helped him fake Love more smoothly, but now that he has warmth in his heart for Richa, he understands how it feels to shower Love without receiving Love.

He turned toward Vaidehi, but she was already asleep. He caressed her face with his eyes and muttered ‘I am sorry’ under his breath.

© 2023 Harsh Kumar Chaudhary


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on March 29, 2023
Last Updated on April 26, 2023