Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Hobbit
"

How do I get to him?

"

Jenny was not very happy when she got off the plane. There had been an old guy who had been complaining the whole way that it was to cold, so the plane staff kept on turning up the heat untill it was like the Sahara Desert in there.

Well, she was here at the North Pole. There was a small pub on the coast called 'The Polar Bear', which was where she'd agreed to meet Donald. She shivered her way through collecting her baggage and started to trudge the freezing quarter of a mile to the pub. Her determinatoin to find her George had not died on bit since she'd got off the phone with Donald. As she walked slowly along, she looked out over the frozen waste-land, thinking that her husband was out there some where starving to death. After a long cold time, she finally reached the Polar Bear. She would be staying there while they got ready for the search. It had been snowing the last fifteen minutes of her journey, so she was completely soaked and covered in mud. She walked into the pub and came face to face with a whole load of huge men. All heads turned as this wretched and cold thing walked in.

For once Jenny couldn't care less about what everyone else thought. She walked up to the Barman.

'I reserved a room under Mrs. Slobodkin, and could I please leave a message for a man called Donald Hillyer'.In reply to the barmans nod as he turned to get her key she said; 'Could you please tell him that Jenny has arrived and she wants to get started as soon as possible, thank-you very much. She took her stuff since it seemed that this was not the kind of place where someone carried your baggage for you, and made for the mouldy stairs, happy to get away from all those staring eyes.

After a somewhat tempermental shower and endless unpacking, she was so hungry that she was sure that she could eat what ever gross thing they put in front of her.

Jenny slipped down the green stairs and sat down at a battered table. Everyone was watching her again. She waited for about ten minutes hoping that someone would order something, so that she could copy them. But as no one did, her stomach complained that she'd not eaten since the puny breakfast on the plane. She was getting desperate and was ready to just shout her order at the Barman, when Donald  walked in. He looked just as Jenny'd remembered from George's old school photos. He was quite young yet older then me so about twenty-five, he had the same boyish look in his green eyes and the same yellow thatch of hair and still very tall and lanky.

'The usual please... Thanks mate.' He said as he recived and quickly drained a huge pint of beer. 'Young lady called Jenny told me to tell you that she had arrived and that she wanted to get started as soon as possible, I believe that she is sat over there.' Donald looked over and his eyes popped. 'Good grief! Jenny! I didn't see you there, have you eaten? No?  Oswald! I want two extra large fish and chips for Jenny and I! And make it snappy will ya?!' I thought gratefully, that you had to be a man to order at this place. He sat down in front of me nervously. Thank you so much for the food, I was getting very hungry.' I said gratefully. This seemed to break the ice. 'That's ok, this place can be very... Difficult sometimes. Was your ride over alright?' 'Yeah, it was ok.' Oswald came over with the heavenly fish and chips. She could say one thing for Oswald; He made the best fish and chips that she had ever tasted. They both made a silent agreement not to talk untill they were both finished eating. It took a long lovely time to finish their massive portions. But finally they were both finished and ready to talk.

'There has been no news of George since I called you and it is looking more and more unlikely that there will be any at all, you see,' Donald was the one who had done all of the organizing for the expedition and had worked almost as hard as George to find the Idol. 'I'm finding it increasingly harder to find men to go with me to search for George, 'cause they don't trust me much round here anymore so it's going to be a little while before we can go and have a proper look for him, but I can take you to where we last found trace of him tommorrow, ok?' 'Thank you so much, you are a star, I was wondering though, how did the other's die and who was it that died?'

Donald took a sorrowful sigh. 'Everyone died who was on the team...' I was shocked.

All of George's best friends and colleages had gone on that abyssmal search hoping to come back loaded with riches beyond belief, but had instead died a cold cruel death.

I swallowed hard. 'H-how did they die?' 'Frost-bite, cold, wounds, and starvation... And I'm the one who led the poor souls to it.' He replied in a hollow guilty voice.

I fought back tears. 'It's not your fault, they were the ones who accepted the invitation to go, you just simply told them about it.'

'I've got to live with myself, but, I will want to die if I don't find George.'

We sat in silence for a while. I felt so sorry for Donald and at the sme time worried sick about George.

He stood up. 'We'll find him. I know we will. I will come and pick you up at the dock at 6:30 in the morning. See ya then, sleep well,' He walked by me and muttered looking at the men who will still watching them, 'be careful though.' And was gone.

 

 



© 2013 Hobbit


Author's Note

Hobbit
Please ignore spelling and grammer. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on August 30, 2013
Last Updated on September 24, 2013


Author

Hobbit
Hobbit

About
Hi Everyone. I am a new writer. I am a Mormon too. To explain myself would be hard as I am the biggest ragbag of a person that I've ever met. Writitng is my way of explaining myself, if I ever ha.. more..

Writing
A Real Dream A Real Dream

A Story by Hobbit


The Buzz The Buzz

A Poem by Hobbit