The Secrets of a Lone Stranger

The Secrets of a Lone Stranger

A Story by Adwin Huey
"

A stranger comes into a town that has been desecrated by war. He goes to an inn and tells his tale to a boy who lives there. It is one short story in a series of short stories that connect.

"

    The sun sat low in the clear blue sky, and a bone-chilling, ice-cold wind blew through the air.  Winter came early this year.  A road stretched in front of the sun, sending a glare off it.  A long shadow extended up the road as a lone figure walks up it towards a small town.  He wore a long robe and a leather jacket with a pair of blue jeans underneath it.  The town was a small town with empty farmland nearby, and it had some abandoned buildings boarded up.  The innkeeper stood outside the only inn in town smoking a pipe.  He stared down the long road as the figures shadow grew closer.  The innkeeper walked out to meet the new stranger, leaving his pipe on the windowsill.  The first thing the innkeeper noticed of the stranger was his face.  Scars crossed over his left cheek, and those deep brown eyes couldn’t hide the sadness behind them.  Something terrible must have happened to this stranger, thought the innkeeper.
    The innkeeper moved closer to the stranger's young but wise face.  He must only be in his thirties at the most, the innkeeper thought.  He began to study the stranger intently, and began taking in every detail.  The stranger wore boots not worn by the average person.  His jaw was well defined and he seemed tense, but when he looked up and saw the innkeeper, he relaxed.  The innkeeper felt a strange sensation of familiarity and security around this stranger.  The innkeeper came right up to the stranger and stuck out his hand.
    “Good day, sir,” the innkeeper began speaking with all kindness. “Would you like a place to stay for the night?”
    “That would be much appreciated.  Thank you,” the stranger replied curtly.
    “Long day?” the innkeeper said trying to strike up a friendly conversation.
    “Yes,” he said brusquely.  By this time they had reached the inn and the innkeeper opened the door.  The innkeeper walked in and immediately went to the desk to write something down.
    “You can stay in the foyer while I prepare you a room,” the innkeeper said happily and walked up the stairs.  The stranger walked into the foyer.  A fire was going in the hearth, and so he walked over to the corner nearest the fire and sat down in a tall winged-backed armchair.  He looked deep into the fire and watched it.  A teenage boy came down the last few steps of the stairs and walked into the foyer and sat down on a cushioned bench in front of the fire.  He began to stare into the fire when he realized he wasn’t the only one in the room.  He looked over to the stranger who sat with his fingers spread wide and touching. The stranger held his hands close to his face.
    “Hello,” said the boy cheerfully.  The stranger acknowledged the boy with a nod. “We don’t get many strangers coming through this town lately.  Who are you, if you don’t mind me asking?”
    “No one of consequence,” he says and pauses.  Realizing this boy wanted company, he continued by saying,  “And how are you?  How’s your life?”
    “I’m good.  Life has been difficult.  It's been changing over the last few years.  You see, this town used to be a flourishing town.  We had tons of farms, plenty of people, and kids for me to hang out with.  The street used to be full of life, but now…. it’s…. dead.  Our flourishing town is a dying town.  Farms are destroyed, people are gone or leaving, and all the kids stay inside and I don’t see anyone.  No one is ever out on the street anymore.  People are afraid.  Our town is full of gangs and criminals.  It’s not safe anymore.
    “I remember when it was safe.  I was happy, and my entire family used to get together on the weekends and we’d have fun together.  We used to have school.  My friends were here, and we’d hang out at one of our houses.  I had a girlfriend.  My family and I actually lived in a home.  We actually owned something.  Then the war came to our little town here in Washington.  As the Russians tried to expand their territory, the US military came here to defend our city, state, and nation.  The war line was literally right outside my home.  We ran from our home, and as we were leaving, a Russian fighter dropped a bomb on it killing my grandparents who were getting ready to leave and soldiers who were defending our home.  That’s when we came here,” he said acknowledging the inn.
    He paused before he continued by saying, “The battle continued.  Men on both sides were falling.  Our farms were literally being torn apart or blown to bits.  Houses were being bombed.  Tanks were rolling through the streets.  Fighter jets screeched above us as they flew by.  Rockets flew through the air landing and blowing up their target no matter what it was.  Anyone who had guns joined the fight, but that did not help because the Russians still won.
    “Nobody had time or even took the time to bury the dead.  So we were left with bodies lying in our fields, bodies of somebody’s baby, husband, wife, girlfriend, and boyfriend.  Everyone who was lying out there had someone who loved him or her back home, if his or her home was still left alive.  The war tore families apart.  Some of our townspeople were taken as POWs.  Our crops were destroyed, our town had been attacked and was starting to die, and our people were dead or wounded physically or mentally.  Everyone had lost someone.  I had lost my girlfriend and my grandparents.  I found out that my girl was shot running from her house.  Only her brother survived.  I later found that I had not only lost my grandparents, I had lost friends, extended family members including my uncle who died fighting.
    “The US eventually got us back after a long struggle and something miraculous happening.  As soon as this town was taken back people started to leave.  My best friend left with his family.  I couldn’t believe what had happened.  My friend!  Gone!  Most of my family, my extended family to be precise, left, and the only people who are related to me that live here anymore are my brother, sister, mom, and dad.  I lost my older two brothers to the war.  They left to fight, and we haven’t heard from them since.  We don’t know what happened to them.  Whether they’re alive or dead….” The boy shrugs and then continued by saying, “My oldest sister was taken captive by one of the generals of the Russian army.  That is one of the reasons why my brothers left.  I don’t know much about the war, but I sure do have a lot of family in it.  My younger brother wants to follow after my oldest brother, but I’m trying to convince him otherwise.”
    “Son, serving in the Army isn’t a curse, it’s a gift.  You’re giving your country and your people life.  Don’t try to convince your brother not to join the Army, Navy, Seals, Marines, Air Force, or anything else,” the stranger says in a tone of most seriousness.
    “I know, I just don’t want to lose him.  I’ve lost everyone else I’ve loved,” the boy replies.
    “Son!  What’s your name?” the stranger asked.
    “Lennard, sir,” the boy answers.
    “Lennard, good name.  A German name that means ‘strong as the lion.’  Do you want to hear a story, Lennard?” the stranger says in his gruff voice.
    “Yes, sir.  I would like that very much,” he said and glanced at the stranger’s face again then back into the fire.
    “Well, it all begins back in ’01.  Yes, the year before one of the greatest bombings done to the US, but my story doesn’t begin at the bombing it begins before, the summer before to be precise.  July twenty-fourth, a holiday where I come from.  It’s a holiday known as Pioneer Day.  My family and I were packing up a picnic for us.  We weren’t only celebrating Pioneer Day; we were celebrating my youngest child’s birthday.  Her two older brothers got her a necklace and earrings.  They bought it with their own money so they weren’t able to get much.  Her older sister got her some bath stuff.  I don’t remember exactly what it was but I have a pretty good idea.  Anyways, we got into our car and drove to watch the parade before we go to our picnic.  The parade was great, spectacular.  I loved it, and so did all my family.  When the parade was over we went to a place where we could have a picnic.  My family enjoyed the picnic.  We had lots of fun.  My oldest son brought his girlfriend.  I knew this girl well.  I had known her since she was little.  She was a beautiful young woman with a great family, a well supporting father, and a mother whose cooking you could never forget.  Well, I knew that later this evening my son was preparing something for her, but I didn't know what.  As evening rolled by we went back to the house and then out to a fancy restaurant.  The restaurant was beautiful, the food was delicious, and the service was excellent.  I was having a conversation with my brother when my son stood up and tapped his glass.  'Can I have everyone's attention, please?  Tonight, I would like to do something special, a once in a lifetime thing.'  At this time he got down on one knee before his girlfriend and opened a box showing a ring.  'Jessica, will you marry me?'”
    “Jessica sat in shock.  A tear rolled down her cheek.  She never thought this day would come.  Her reply was a joyful, teary-eyed yes.  She embraced my boy.  My son then lifted her into the air, giving her a long, loving kiss before setting her back on her chair.  My son remained standing and we all wondered why he was standing and what he had to say.  'Quiet everyone, please.  I have one more announcement before I sit down.  Dad, Mom, everybody.  I've been offered a job in New York City at the World Trade Center.'  Something hit me hard.  I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know what.  So I congratulated my son and asked him when we can come and see him at his new job.  He said, 'I start August thirtieth so give it at least twelve days and come on the eleventh of September.'  Alright, I replied, but when will you marry Jessica?  'I'll marry her September twelfth.  Right after you guys come.  So you guys will only have to make one trip.'  I was a little surprised by how fast he wanted to go through with it, but I guess since he was going to be living in New York after the thirtieth, he probably wanted to be married to the woman of his dreams by then so they didn't have to be separated.”  The stranger took a deep raggedy breath.
    “What happened to him?”  Lennard asked.
    “I'm getting there.  Be patient.  Well, he left for the big NYC August twenty-ninth.  He already had a place to stay and everything.  My brother lived in New York and that's where my son would be living until he could get a home of his own.  Well, time rolled by and the tenth crept up on us.  We started packing to go to New York City.  Our kids were at school at the time.  We were going to check them out today.  Their bags were all packed and everything it was just me and my wife's stuff that needed to be packed next.  We finished packing and headed to pick-up the kids.  They got into the car and we were off.  The plane trip was wonderful.  Everything just seemed so peaceful.  Nothing could go wrong.  We arrived in New York City and went out to dinner to eat as a family.  I had a bad feeling that this might be the last meal I would ever have with my family.  We got up early to get to the World Trade Center.  My son led the way up to the second to the top floor.  When we arrived at the floor, I realized we were missing a camera and that I needed to buy a gift for my son's wedding.  My youngest daughter wanted to come with me, and so I took her.  We got to the ground floor, got into a taxi and went to the nearest shop.  We got there and started looking for a camera.  We got it as well as a brand-spanking new watch for my son, and then we went to the nearest jewelry shop.  I bought a diamond necklace for my future daughter-in-law.
    “We were just leaving the jeweler's when the first plane hit the first tower, the tower where my son and the rest of my family were visiting.  My daughter-in-law was even up there.  I started running toward the tower, my daughter trailing after me.  I dropped everything and stopped as the second plane hit the tower.  I was distraught.  I kept running and then the tower came crashing down.  I immediately grabbed my daughter and sprinted back.  The first tower crashed down followed by the second.  A huge cloud of dust and smoke was racing through the air towards us.  I turned sharply into an alleyway where I ran into my brother.  He too had left to get my son and daughter-in-law a marriage gift.  I set my daughter down and crumbled to the ground crying.  My whole life was in that tower.”  Tears raced down the man's face.  Lennard looked at him with deep sorrow.
    “I'm sorry,” Lennard said.
    “It's not your fault kid.  You didn't bomb the World Trade Center.  The crazy Muslim extremists did.  They tried to crumble and cripple us as a nation.  They thought we would be kneeling at their feet.  Ha!”  A glint of triumph flickered in his fire filled eyes as he cried out, “They brought us together and we stood up taller then they ever expected.  We brought fury as the eagle flew down at its prey.  For the next three months we would be united, but that unity did not last.  We became divided.  We were stronger than ever before when we were united, but when we became divided, we lost some of that strength.  We made our stand.  We fought.  We freed a people who were imprisoned in a nation of a dictator.  We freed them from a dictator who had the blood of his own people on his hands.  I would have been there to fight, but the last part of my life was my little girl, only twelve at the time when the two towers were bombed.  I would do anything to protect her.  I raised her as best as I could.  I would look at her and see her mother living in her.  She grew to look like her mother.  All this time in order for me to do the best I could to serve my country was to create new weapons and ways to keep our soldiers safe.  When we won the war in Iraq, I thought I would be able to rest a little more while our soldiers freed more countries and we wouldn’t have the stress of the media while the terrorists were retreating, but then the Russians revealed their true intentions.

     “They became a Russian Empire, and instead of backing us, they backed all those terrorists.  Russia even allied itself with North Korea.  Something that completely took us by surprise was when the Chinese decided to become one with the Russians.  Russia took the war into their hands.  All our enemies and all the terrorists allied.  We called on our allies. And so the war had begun.  World War Three was set before our eyes.  All our allies got together and started defending the lines in Europe, Africa, East Asia, Southeast Asia, and North Asia, but where we had to focus a lot of our energy was the Middle East. Russia was attacking from the north, China from the east, and the terrorists from all over the Middle East and Africa.  Laos and Vietnam though weren’t getting involved in any part of the war.  They would try as long as possible to stay out of the war.

     “The Russians were cruel people, and with the Chinese behind them, they became a ruthless force of destruction.  While we were busy in Europe, Asia and Africa, the Russians were planning an invasion.  That invasion came all to quick.  Just as quick as we held our line in Asia and were pushing back, Russia, combined with the Chinese, invaded Alaska and destroyed all our military bases there.  Canada then decided to take action and defended their border, but their army wasn’t strong enough.  Like a wave of destruction, the Russians destroyed and wiped their army from the face of the earth leaving only a few alive to retreat into the US as the Canada was completely conquered.  We prepared our forces in the US to prepare for the fight of our lives.

     “The soldiers were completely caught off guard when the Russians invaded the Western United States.  The soldiers tried to save the homes of hundreds and the lives of thousands and save millions of cities.  The Russian wave rushed over the Northwestern United States and took over.  The loud minority thought we were lost and we couldn’t do anything about it.  I was sweating over everything I was doing, and when it seemed like all hope was lost, a light rose out of the dark.  I created the ultimate weapon.  On this day, they were going to invade my home state of Utah, and so I rode around and gathered up as many of my people who would follow and I formed the Second Mormon Battalion.”

     “Excuse me.  Sorry, why did you call yourselves the Second Mormon Battalion?  Wouldn’t you just be the Mormon Battalion?” Lennard asked.

     “Well, son, the Mormon Battalion was actually a battalion before us.  They served in the Mexican War, being the only religious battalion in American military history.  They made the longest recorded march in military history.  We couldn’t take their name so we took on the name the Second Mormon Battalion.  Any more questions?”

     “No, sir.  Continue please.”

     “All right!  Let’s see.  Ah!  Yes!  The day I formed the battalion.  On this day, I gave this battalion the weapon I had just created.  We waited in the mountain pass that Highway 80 passed through.  That is the way the Russians would be passing.  They were coming from the state of Wyoming only for Idaho had stood its ground and they decided to wait until they took over the great state of Utah.  We left them plenty of time to fight the army, but we informed the army to retreat after a few attacks and if they saw that they weren’t going to win.  Well, as soon as the army saw the Russians and Chinese they fired shots as they retreated to the mountain pass.  They took shelter there and as we waited for the Russians to arrive, planned a way to take this massive army down.  We prepared jets, tanks, the whole shebang, but what we held secret was our new weapons.  The Russians arrived, led by their jets, which were immediately taken care of.  The Russian army started attacking immediately.  Rockets and bullets flew through the air.  The tanks were firing off the charts.  We remained hidden and were waiting for the right time.

     “A tank fired a shot that hit the mountain pass’s side causing some rocks to slide.  A few of my men slid with the rocks revealing us to the Russians.  Immediately I rose to my feet and cried out ‘Now!’ The whole battalion stood.  The Russians fired blow after blow towards us, but nothing hit us.  Nothing could touch us.  Together, the battalion and I destroyed the tanks.  Fear filled the eyes of the Russians and the Chinese as we took control of the elements and used them to our advantage.  The Russian generals immediately took control.  They cried out to the men, ‘Attack!  Now!  The time for the United States to fall is now!’  Bullets flew through the air again.  Not a bullet touched us as we marched.  The army started giving us cover fire.  A fighter jet flew overhead and dropped bombs on top of us.  It blew and dust filled the air.  All fire stopped and you could hear the Russians laughing with such evil and malice.  Then as if it were rising from the very earth a song came over the wind.  The Russians stopped and went dead silent.  All blood drained from their faces and they went deathly pale as the voices became louder and stronger.

“‘High on the mountaintop
A banner is unfurled.
Ye nations, now look up;
It waves to all the world.
In Deseret’s sweet, peaceful land,
On Zion’s mount behold it stand! …..’”

    “The dust cleared as the song continued, and on the mountain stood a banner.  We stood there in front of the Russians and they looked at us with fear completely filling their eyes and hearts.  We started marching again.  This was for our state, our country, our people, and….our families.  The Russians started running back in a retreat, but the leaders kept yelling for them to return.  A Russian general picked up a gun, aiming at me, and pulled the trigger.  The bullet flew through the air.  Its course stayed true, but as soon as it came two inches away from me, its course change and it hit the mountainside.  The general staggered back, but with a fury so great, he grabbed an army knife and ran towards me with it.  He came within two feet of me when I took my strike and sliced through him cutting his heart open.  He dropped the knife and fell to the ground.
    “We forced the Russians back, but that didn’t stop them.  Their generals might have been afraid of us, but that wasn’t going to stop them.  Reinforcements came to aid the Russian army.  They marched once again to take over.  It would take them a few days before they could arrive at the mountain pass again.  We built a fortress at the mountain passes everywhere.  They couldn’t even march into Idaho. We were gathering more to the Second Mormon Battalion everyday in all the states left free in the west.  We were preparing for the Russian army’s attack, but then something extraordinary happened the day before the Russian attack.  The Chinese government had been overthrown and a democracy was put in its place.  The Chinese immediately allied with the United States of America in the fight for freedom.  Word reached the Russian army and a battle broke out between the two armies.  The word was out, the Russian army was divided and the battle between the two had begun.  Battalions started forming all over the remaining free western states.  The Second Mormon Battalion marched to meet the Chinese army and join them in the fight against the Russians.
    “We fought with the Chinese, sending the Russian army cowering back.  The Russian army retreated out of the United States fighting every once in a while to see if they even had a chance.  As we fought, more battalions joined the fight across the Western United States pushing the Russians out of Canada.  Every once in a while the Russians would stake out and try to keep us back, but each time we came too close to them without being harmed.  We may sound invincible, but we’re not.  We lost some brave souls crossing that frozen tundra.  I lost a few good friends.  Our weapons weren’t made to keep us warm, just to keep us protected.  The Russians killed a few of our men when they were unprotected or asleep.  We weren’t seeking revenge.  No!  We were seeking freedom and protection for all, especially those we loved.  The darkness rose and attacked.  The earth cried out for help, and so in answer, we rose up out of the dust and came, marching into the battle full of power to defend the world’s and our right to freedom.
    “We marched the Russians out of Canada and into Greenland and Alaska.  That’s when our battalion split.  Aaron my best friend and right-hand man, my Lieutenant, led one and I led the other.  I went to Alaska.  He went to great land of ice, Greenland.  So we went our separate ways, hoping to one day see each other again.  When I arrived in Alaska with my half of the battalion the Russians were staking it out and defending with all force.  We wondered why they hadn’t left yet, until we crossed over the hill and looked out into the bay.  A huge naval battle was ongoing and the Russians had nowhere to go.  We stayed our ground and didn’t attack but watched the naval battle keeping our eyes on the Russians and open for any secret attacks.  The Russians didn’t dare challenge us……… Or at least we thought so.  That night as the naval battle between our ships, the ones that we were able to spare, combined with the Chinese Navy, and the Russian Navy that was in these waters, the Russian army came to attack us.  We were all caught off our guard.  This evening we had decided to relax for we had all been travel weary.
    “The Russians came rushing in and surrounded us.  They cried out for us to freeze and make no movement.  Few of us understood what he said and so we interpreted for those who hadn’t served on Russian missions or learned any Russian at all.  The last Russian general marched out of the ring surrounding us and walked straight up to me.  ‘Stand up!’  I stood up.  Many didn’t understand what he was saying but I had served a mission in Russia and understood Russian fluently.  ‘Who are you?’  I replied in Russian, ‘I am the commander of this battalion.  What is it you want?’  ‘First tell me who you are before I answer any questions.  Tell me now!’  ‘General Afanasi…’ He froze at me calling him by his name.  ‘You probably don’t remember me, but I remember you.  You were the first investigator I taught, and the only one I baptized.  You have two children a boy and a girl.  Your wife was pregnant the last time I saw her.’  He looked at me with a curious eyes and tears on the brim of bursting.  ‘You remembered me.’  A tear rolled down his cheek.  He stepped closer and looked me in the eyes.  Then he embraced me, tears rolling down his face.  ‘My old friend,’ I said.  ‘Like old times isn’t it,’ he said and he released me and looked me in the eye.  He yelled at his men, ‘Put your guns down!  That’s an order!’  They immediately lowered their guns.

     “‘You don’t mind if we join you do you?’ he asked.  I said he could join us if he wanted to.   He yelled to his men to relax and enjoy themselves.  Tonight there would be no brawl and there would be much rejoicing and celebrating.  We would finally be able to relax with no fear of fights.  Afanasi and I sat around the campfire and exchanged stories of our lives.  That night I had found friends in enemies.  My old friend and I were reunited.  Together we would stand to fight against the Russian Empire to free his people.  The rest of the night passed joyfully and peacefully.  The morning came and the Russian army had joined us.  We marched as one, half of the Russian army, the Chinese army, and half of the Second Mormon Battalion.  We marched all the way to the shores of Alaska.  US and Chinese naval ships were riding by.  A ship spotted us and sent some boats over to see who we were.  They found we were allies and needed some transports over to the Russian shore.  They gave us transports and escorts.

     “Word of our success in freeing the US and Canada reached Europe and the rest of the world.  All over the world Mormon Battalions started forming and they began to force the Russians and the terrorists back.  We marched into Russia.  The Russian army didn’t even resist.  The truth is when they saw the remaining invasion force marching with us; the few that were left in Eastern Russia joined us and started marching with us toward the freedom of Russia.  We freed Russia in a matter of months.  The reason it took so long was not the resistance for there was very little if any.  It was because of the long journey we had to march.  We did catch some rides on the way.  In five years, the Russians had returned to an Empire, formed a coalition between themselves, the terrorists, and China and had fallen, losing their most powerful ally on the way.  The war was over we were free to go home.”  The stranger sighed a deep and long, ragged sigh.  “I was wrong.  The war was not over, and still isn’t.  Aaron is missing.  Half of Aaron’s battalion is missing, and those who have returned aren’t the same.  They hide secrets behind closed doors.  Only one person can unlock those doors and in order for me to find out, I have to find my daughter.”

     “What happened to your daughter?”  Lennard asked, deep concern coursing through his veins.

     “While I was gone, enemy aircrafts flew into my state and took my daughter captive.  They killed all but one person who saw them take her.  The person who survived was her boyfriend, and he barely survived.  If the paramedics hadn’t arrived when they did, he would have died, and I would have never found out what had happened to my daughter.  My daughter is the key to finding out what happened to Aaron and all those who are missing.”

     “You don’t mind me asking who you are, do you?” Lennard asked sheepishly.  The stranger snickered.

     “Well, you just did, did you not?”  The boy looked even more embarrassed.  The stranger let out a laugh that warmed the hearts of all those who could hear it.  “No, I don’t mind.  Son, my name is Teancum Norton.”

     “Teancum Norton!” the innkeeper cried out.  His face started to flush red.  “Get out!  I don’t want a former general or any former soldier staying in my inn!  You should have never done what you did!  We would have been fine without the war destroying everything!  We should have never got involved!”

     “And what!  Sit back and watch the Russians take over our country and the terrorists destroy the world!” Lennard said defending this ragged soldier.  “If it wasn’t for us, meaning him and everyone else like him, those countries out there would have had no chance for freedom and we ourselves would have been destroyed!”

     “You don’t know the half of it, Lennard!  Go to your room, boy!  This isn’t the place for you.  And you!” he said pointing toward the soldier who sat there still, looking deep into the fire, saying nothing.  “Get out, now!  You don’t deserve any place to stay!  The world would be a lot better place if people like you weren’t around!”  Lennard was about to rebuke the innkeeper when the stranger spoke.

     “Son, thank you for defending me, but if this man doesn’t want me here, I'll leave.  I’m fine.  I’ll just continue my journey on to find my daughter.  Listen to this man, Lennard.  You can learn a lot from him.  This man has the right to send me away, but don’t forget what I told you.”

     On that day, I didn’t know what he told me, but as I watched the stranger walk out into the night, I realized something.  The world wouldn’t be here without people like him.  I later remembered what he told me.  He told me that every man deserves a chance, and the soldiers who fight for this country are doing what they know is the right thing to do.  Though the few and the loud may say we are lost, we are not.  Though those same few may cry out that we shouldn’t get involved in these kinds of things, we should think for ourselves and see with our own eyes.  If we didn’t do it, who would?  Who would free those from oppression and give them the chance to live freely.  Who would have given those nations a chance to rule themselves?  Who would stop those who rule ruthlessly?  If we had stayed out that day and not fought, where would we be today?  We would be under the control of the Russians unable to rule ourselves with them telling us what to do and when to do it.  No freedom would exist and the world would crumble.

     I never did find out what happened to Aaron or any of the missing members of the battalion, and I never found out what happened to Teancum’s daughter or Teancum himself.  Today, I’m an engineer.  I have a family with five girls and four boys and two on the way.  My wife and I met the first day I moved to my new home in Utah where I live to this day.  Today, I’m organizing a group to set up a monument in the honor of Teancum and the members of the Second Mormon Battalion.  The battalion still exists today.  I hope that maybe one day I’ll discover what happened to Teancum and all of them, but until then I’m devoting my time in honoring his memory and building off of what he built.  This country is forever in his gratitude.

 


To My Children That They Might Remember Always:

 

Signed,

Lennard Priestly

© 2008 Adwin Huey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on October 27, 2008