Sighting

Sighting

A Chapter by emily
"

Chapter 1, Edmond and Ana meet

"

Sighting

           

            I am hanging laundry out to dry when I see the ship. It is a gray day, humid from the sea breeze; the storm clouds above threaten rain. Wind blows strong off the ocean, blowing my skirts around me, whipping my wild red hair out of its bun. A storm is coming, but has not yet arrived. No one else is outside, only me, Ana Divendy, which is why I like days like this, when I can look out over the great stone bluff on which Portown is positioned.

            I feel lucky that the house that Aunt Marian and I share is on the edge of the great cliff, so I can look out over the edge and watch ships come into port, imagine what it would be like to sail on one. All my life I've dreamed of the sea. It's so strange to live in the Caribbean and have only been on one ship, the ship that brought me here.

            Today, though, I cannot feel the breeze or hear the seagulls call. I can only watch the ship. I am the only one who sees. I am the only one who can make out the black sails, pirate sails horizon. Any other girl would likely have run screaming into the house, for pirates pose a threat to any town, but not me. I dream of being a pirate, no matter how impossible it is for a woman, or how shameful for anyone. I have forever wanted to work by the strength of my back on a ship, to live for the adventures of tomorrow, and cast off this dreary island.

            This ship is huge, larger than any other I have ever seen. When I was young, living in England, Father would take me down to the shipping docks whenever one of his trade ships came in. They fascinated me. Since I have lived here, I have watched vessels port nearly every week. I have seen my share of ships, and I know this is the greatest.

            Even from off in the distance, where I see it has anchored, I can see the skilled engravings on the mast. I can see the wood carving of a woman, a fish woman, on the bow of it. I can tell this is some wealthy pirate.

            Much to my surprise, I can see only one longboat lowered down, containing only one man. Perhaps they do not mean to pillage our poor port town. Their efforts would be futile anyhow. There are no permanent rich families on the one town island, only a few wealthy English people who spend their fall and winter here, in the warmer climate.

            Portown, the name of the island and the town, is not a desirable place to live unless you are a sailor. Despite the name, the port bussiness has not thrived for years. Now only two or three docks remain open regularily. The town is only one dirt road with small shops and rented rooms above. One small path leads one way to our home, out of. Another to the large and abandoned Schindler Mansion at the end of the main road; and a third leads to the docks.

            The town is mainly inhabited by retired pirates and sailors who stay for only a night or two. Portown is a capital place for w****s and rum, making it popular with sailors who have a few days of rest. The inn and bar are wildly inhabited. I have been there only a few times, Aunt Marian says it's not a suitable place for a girl who wants to keep her virtue. I have always laughed at this. I am sure Aunt Marian has never seen a man.

            As the linens I have hung up to dry flutter around me, I try to make out the man in the rowboat, far below. All I can infer is that he is clearly strong enough to fight the crashing waves with ease. I feel as though I must see him closer, for he has grasped my curiosity. But Aunt Marian is quite strict and would never allow me down to the docks without a good excuse.

            As good as my aunt is to me; I cannot help but feel smothered by her presence. She seems not to understand that I am nineteen now, not the eight year old girl who came to live with her so long ago. Her rules are strict. I can rarely go out alone, I do not speak to men my age, and I may never, ever go down to the docks.

            I still don't know why Aunt Marian is so strict with me. Ever since I came here at age eight she has been alone. At the rare occasions I work up the corage to ask the intimidating woman of her past, she promises to tell me someday, or something to that effect. I think it must be something truly terrible. All I know is that I'm all she has now.

            So, I think to myself, what am I to tell her? I cannot simply say, 'I'm off to the docks to discover what mysterious pirate has come to shore.' No, no excuse will work. I'll just go then, I don’t need to ask. I'm a grown woman and I can take care of myself. So, without thinking of it again, I lift the hem of my skirts and set off down the dirt road, feeling very superior. How strange it is that I have never been down to the docks which I have so often envied. I climb down the steep stone steps on the cliff, steps I have always wished to run to, to race down to a ship and never come back.

            I realize when I reach the bottom, though, that I have no excuse for being there. I cannot simply ask the man, who I can now see nearing the docks, about his whereabouts. I do not even know how to address a man, for I do not speak with them except for the rare moments when I can escape Aunt Marian in town. Privacy and confidentiality are gifts in this town. The culture on this island is stifling, and I take what I can get.

            Realizing the mistake I have made, I look around, unable to find a proper exit. The boat master is descending the steep stairs, the second person to have seen my strange man. Quickly, I duck into the shadows of the trees behind me, trying to listen to what the man says.

            I can hear the footsteps of the mysterious man on the dock. I can hear the planks creak under the boat master's heavy feet.

            "Excuse me," says the gruff boat master, "it's a shilling to tie up your boat here, and I will need to know your name and your business in Portown."

            There is silence for a moment, perhaps the man is thinking. "My name is Edmond LeDego." The music of the voice startles me. It is lovelier than any symphony I have ever heard. His accent is light and implacable, so I cannot figure out where he comes from. I think I will never hear a more beautiful voice in my life. "I have found my fortune in the business of sailing and I have purchased the Schindler Mansion on this island."

            I stifle a gasp. The Schindler Mansion has remained vacant for nearly one hundred year, no one ever bought it. It is huge, located atop the very highest point of the island, surrounded by overgrown gardens. It will be beautiful if this man can fix it.

            My curiosity begins to get the better of me. I feel as though I must see what the man looks like. I dare to turn around.

            This time I cannot contain my small gasp. All the air in my lungs seems to be pressed out of me when I see Edmond. His face is more perfect than words can describe. He is of pale complexion, his features strong and defined, high cheekbones and full lips. He dresses well, tall, fashionable boots, trousers, and a long coat. Dark hair falls in soft ringlets just below his ears.

            I turn back around, my breathing heavy. I hear the clink of coins falling into the boat master's hand. The musical voice quietly says, "And any other business I have here does not need to be known."

            I can hear the boat master move to tie up the row boat. Edmond must be leaving the dock. I can't help myself; I turn to look at him again. What a mistake. He is looking my way as well, as if he suspected some one was watching. Our eyes lock. It is my first time looking him in the eyes; beautiful green eyes, flecked with gold, suddenly full of a conflicted emotion which I read as rage. We stare at each other for a moment, not sure what to do.

            Not the love at first sight most girls would hope for.

            Edmond regains his composure quickly and advances on me. I, with no place to run, stand my ground, hoping it appears to be bravery.

            "You," he booms, his angry voice still beautiful, "who are you, girl?" I can say nothing, so I don't answer. "What is your name?" he yells again.

            I cannot run. Edmond catches my hand. I try to hand away, but his strong hands form manacles around my wrist.

            The boat master looks up. "Ana? Ana Divendy" He recognizes me. Everyone in this town knows everyone else, and everything about them. Unfortunatly.

            Edmond pulls me from the trees, I struggle in his grip,  failing to escape. "What is your policy on law breaking here, good boat master?"

            The boat master scoffs. "What policy? The only law in this town is 'don't get caught'. That's why the living's so easy." It is true. No law is ever enforced in Portown. "But that Aunt of hers will give her a lesson. The woman's insane if you ask me, never lets the girl look at a man. Wasteful, don't you think, such a pretty little thing."

           "Indeed," Edmond says, looking me up and down. "Quite lovely, but, if I am any judge of character, not a girl any right man would or should take. Poor, obviously, and has a clear, childish need to meddle in the affairs of others." I blush and look down, not even hearing the insults.

            "She lives right up the hill." The boat master points with a greasy finger. Why must there be no privacy in this town?

            Edmond takes a step. I won't move. He turns around. "If you don't want to be carried I suggest you start walking." From the way his muscles stand out, even under his coat, I know he's telling the truth. I hate to lose a battle of wills, but I've already been humiliated enough. So I walk.

            He walks in silence, glaring at me. Despite my fear, there is something else buried deep inside me. There is excitement. I have never felt this way. With Edmond's hand on my arm, I feel right, I feel like I'm safe, though that is the farthest thing from what really I am.

            When we reach the walkway in front of my small home, he stops. "Now, are you going to tell me why you feel the need to intrude in my affairs? Or am I going to have to tell the town you were down at the docks for a different reason? Say, to meet a lover." His mocking eyes scorch me. I realize this man holds my reputation, my whole life, in his hands. If there is any hope to ever leave this island, he could take it away.

            I try to recall why I was down there, what had drawn me to him. It is difficult to think anything while captured by his blazing eyes. I remember and say before thinking about it, "You're a pirate."

            Clearly this was the wrong thing to say. Edmond pulls me closer, his face not an inch from mine, one hand snaps to the back of my head, the other placed on the small of my back, holding me in place. His enraged voice is no more than a whisper. I feel the first drops of rain fall on my skin. "You have no proof. No one will believe a poor common girl over a man like me." He looks over to my house. We both can see a furious Aunt Marian looking out through the curtains at us through the window of the kitchen. Fear explodes inside me. "None the less, I should see to it that you don't leave your house for a while."

            And with that, his lips are on mine, wild, hastened. I try to fight back, but he is too strong, he forces my mouth open so I taste his sweet breath. I can't fight myself free. I struggle against his iron strength, trying to shake him away, but I'm sure that just makes the kiss look even more passionate. Though I know how terrible it looks, everything in my body is telling me to stay with him.

            Edmond pulls away once he is satisfied with what he accomplished. We both see Aunt Marian running out the door, pudgy face red, carrot hair in disarray. Edmond's mouth is at my ear, his voice mocking. "See what you've done? You've upset your Aunt. You wouldn't want to do that again, so pray you never pry in the business of another pirate, you may not be so lucky."

            Then he is gone off down the road. I wish to watch him leave, but I must deal with Aunt Marian, who is coming down the path, yelling my name, calling in her scratchy voice, "I'll kill that boy; I'll kill him, I will." And indeed there is a knife in her hand, though I know she would never use it. I instincivly turn and watch as he runs away, though it occers that will only make things worse. I know he only kissed me to get me locked away. What surprises me is how glad I am he did.

            Aunt Marian is right in front of me, now, intimidating even though she is a head shorter than I. "Who was that?" she bellows. "Where did he come from? How long have you been seeing him?"

            "I'm not seeing him." I yell, trying to match her furious tone, finding myself unable to do so. "He was just escorting me home."

            She does not seem to hear me. "Here I am, waiting for you to come home, thinking you've been stolen, when you're off sleeping around with exactly the kind of man I've always warned you about"

            "Aunt, I'm not sleeping with anyone."

            "Then where were you?"

            I have no response. I decide there's no answer but the truth. "I was at the docks, Aunt Marian, and I have every right to! I'm a grown woman and I can take a step away from my door."

            "As long as you are in my house, my rules apply to you."

            "Then maybe I shouldn't live in your house."

            Aunt Marian seems taken aback by this.  She quickly regains her composure. "And where will you go, to your man?" She scoffs. "He'll be gone within the month. Men like him never stay."

            I should have denied it again, but I was too angry. "What do you know of men like him? You have always been alone."

            This hurts her more than anything else I say. Large tears well in her eyes. "Not always, Ana, not always." I have never seen her cry, not even when she came to get me in the God awful orphanage she found me in.

            I immediately regret what I said. "I am so sorry. Come into the house, Aunt Marian, have some tea." I take her arm.

            "I don't want the God damn tea!" she yells, shaking me off. "You're right, you're a grown woman now, nineteen already, and you need to know the truth. Come inside, I need to tell you the story."

 



© 2009 emily


Author's Note

emily
Ok, if I haven't stressed this enough DO NOT get attached to this story. It is an unfinished, unedited old project that I quit halfway through. That is all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are off to a really good start here.You ae very discriptive which is good; it's like i can picture it happening in my head. You've established who your main characters are and what type of personiliaty they each have. Let me just say that i love how Edmond is, i don't know how to put thid because he's just that amazing so far, darin i guess you can say is a good work. I was laughing when he kissed her just so he could get Ana in trouble. This is really good so far, i love it awesome job :)

.Novelists.Elite.Info.
.Display. Julie Beth
.MemberID. 014
.Username. polarjulie82
.Novels. Unexpected
.Status. Early Reader
.Join Date. 07-15-11

Posted 12 Years Ago


I do know what it's like to have unfinished projects you've lost interest in. But in all honesty, I can't imagine anyone reading this first chapter and not being interested, because it is a very solid start. My wife just read it too, and she also thinks so. Of course it is no one's decision but yours whether to ever finish it, but we both really liked it so far.
I'm going to continue reading this because I'm genuinely interested in it, but since you aren't currently working on it, I will focus my reviews on your current books.
By the way, thank you SO MUCH for reading and so kindly reviewing my book "Cliff," it means so much more than you know!

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this story sounds great!
i love it and the island
was pictuered in my mind
perfectly, thanks to your writting:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


This story is interesting so far; I like it! And Edmond sounds handsome. ;D


Posted 14 Years Ago


Omygosh, this is ever so intruiguing, and becoming,
it fills me with so much enthuiast as to where it will go!
Ana! he retorts and I can vividly see he knows her,
very beautifully written, Emily,
great storyline, I Love pirates!
----mishel p.s. great description, you moved the story well, and had motion in it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is very interesting.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice writing. ^^ No offense to you, but I probably won't read any further into this. I'm just not much into the whole pirate thing. But definitely good writing. =D

Posted 15 Years Ago


i love this! : )

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

you rock my world :]

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like your writing style, the story is intersting so far, I'm not really a romance reader or writer but i could see myself buying this at a bookstore.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

440 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 15, 2008
Last Updated on August 25, 2009


Author

emily
emily

MN



About
Hello all! My name is Emily, I'm 20, I am definitely not at home in this tiny MN town, and soon I will be the most famous author my generation. I go to Barnes and Noble to see where my book will sit .. more..

Writing
Jim - One (Opener) Jim - One (Opener)

A Chapter by emily



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blackened Blackened

A Story by Nic


Confrontation Confrontation

A Chapter by emily


Turn Turn

A Poem by Mr. Misanthrope