Herschel's Log - Entry Six

Herschel's Log - Entry Six

A Chapter by emily

Herschel’s Log

Wednesday, March 19, 1941

            So apparently the hunt for broads didn’t go exactly as planned. I guess to say they failed miserably would be an understatement, seeing as by the time they sulked back into the room around noon Erich was hysterical, Gabe’s virginity was (seemingly) still intact, and Jim had been smacked so hard he had handprint on his face that didn’t go away for the rest of the day. I had to laugh at them. They looked so stupid.

            Anyway, we’re all finding out a lot more about each other, mostly by accident. Erich’s been in a foul mood all week. For a while there it looked like he was done picking fights, but I’m starting to think he’s just getting started. Sunday afternoon we were all joking about how bad the girl search went and we accidentally put him over the edge by asking about the girls back home. It seemed pretty harmless, but it put him in such a mood that he practically broke Jim’s face when he suggested that Erich might have gotten a dame in trouble. I guess I should have seen that coming. I know if someone asked about my girl back home I would do anything I could to keep from talking about it. Erich’s life is definitely just as messed up as mine and, though it makes him pretty unpleasant to be around,, it’s making me hate him less and less.

            Gabe’s having problems too. Erich says he’s has been talking in his sleep about someone named Leo. None of us have asked about it, but I can’t shake the feeling that there’s more to that story. Gabe says he’s never gotten his hands on a dame, which is probably true. But he gets really uncomfortable about showering with us, he plays the violin (he hasn’t actually mentioned that, but I recognized the instrument case he had with him on the first day), he’s always looking at Erich, and now he’s talking to some guy in his sleep. It’s the kind of thing I don’t even want to write, but I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s thought of it.. But he denied it when I blurted it out the night we stole the stash, and I’m not about to bring it up again. Most guys, Erich and Jim included, would probably kill him if they found out. But he really isn’t a bad guy and I don’t want to be the one who gets him hurt. The poor guy, if his is that way, it’s got to be tough for him to be here.

            Also, someone’s been in my journal. I don’t even really know why I was keeping it a secret, except that it’s probably the last place I can actually talk about what happened back in Poland.  It’s not even that I’ve written anything I don’t want them to see, but I keep my pictures of home between the pages, and I can’t let them start asking questions about that. I guess I’m just going to have to hide it a little more carefully. It’s nice to be able to confide in the guys about some things, but if they get a hold of this, if I can’t let out what I’m really feeling,  I won’t have anything to keep me sane.

            S**t, they’ll be coming soon, and I didn’t have time to write Rebecca.  It’s almost lights out, and I need to stash this before the rest of the guys get back to the room. I’m going to try and stay awake to hear if Erich is telling the truth about Gabe’s sleep-talking.  I’ve got to see if I can figure out anything else about these boys, because at this point, if I can’t trust them, I can’t trust anybody.



© 2011 emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hard to keep secret when four people are sharing a room. A lot of conflict was born in this chapter. Some questions will need answering. I like the strong ending to the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

411 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 8, 2011
Last Updated on August 8, 2011

Sons of Thunder: Part One


Author

emily
emily

MN



About
Hello all! My name is Emily, I'm 20, I am definitely not at home in this tiny MN town, and soon I will be the most famous author my generation. I go to Barnes and Noble to see where my book will sit .. more..

Writing
Jim - One (Opener) Jim - One (Opener)

A Chapter by emily