Chapter 1  Kent

Chapter 1 Kent

A Chapter by Michelle Earl
"

Mary Ann Deross is fleeing a situation where she is afraid for her life. Somehow she finds herself in a city familiar, yet not. It's a place where magic rules.

"
     "Miss?  Miss?"
     "Hmmm?" I groaned and opened my eyes.  An elderly lady was shaking me awake.  She had been sitting across from me.  She was leaning across my backpack and smiling.  
     "The driver said to wake you dear.  We're almost at our destination." She slipped back into her seat.
     "Thank you." I took off my glasses and rubbed my eyes, "I'm so tired."
     "You look tired dear." She nodded.
I nodded, not knowing what to say.  I sat up straighter in my seat and looked around.  Gone were most of the people who were supposed to be getting off with me; there were only three people, not including me.  "Where is everybody?"
     "Pardon me dear?" I gazed around at each of the chairs in turn.  
     "There were at least fifteen people on the bus, including us.  As far as I know, they were all destined for the same place as far as I knew since Edmonton was the last stop." I could feel my face coloring as I frowned.  I began to panic, "Where are we?"
     "You must be mistaken dear." She smiled as the bus rounded a corner into the downtown core.  Everything seemed right, yet something was different too.  I couldn't put my finger on it.  
I shook my head, "I don't think I'm wrong, but I'll leave it for now since we're so close.  By the way, I'm Mary Lyn DeRoss."
     "I'm Vera Komax." She held out her hand and I shook it.
     "It's nice to meet you." I shook her hand and smiled.  I liked her.  She reminded me of the mother of my employer who I was running away from.
The bus rounded a corner and finally pulled into the stall designated for it.  I sighed.  Now I would find out what was going on.  The bus slowed, and we exited the bus with our carry-on baggage.

. . .

     I left the bus, turning right to await my suitcase.  The driver stepped lightly down the stairs, landing at my side.  I turned to him, "Sir, where are the others?  I was supposed to get off at Edmonton, with them, but there are only four of us here."
     He inhatled sharply, "Let me see your ticket."
     I showed it to him, and he examined it, "No, it's correct.  It says..."
     "Excuse me dear." Mrs. Komax laid her hand on my shoulder, "I don't mean to interrupt you, but my daughter will be waiting outside, and she gets very impatient when I'm not there on time.  Could you get my bag please driver?"
     "Of course." He said.  It was his turn to place his hand on my shoulder.  It was large, yet muscular.  "Wait here."
     I nodded as I watched him unlock the door and extracate our bags.  He rolled mine over to me.  The others thanked him and said their goodbyes.  Upon closing and locking the bus door, he turned back to me and held out his hand, "Now that that's done, let's see your ticket."
     I gave it to him, and watched as he looked it over, and subsequently ran his eye over me.  "No, it says Kent Alberta, not Edmonton Alberta."
     "I've never heard of Kent!  Where am I really?"
     "You're in Kent." He said calmly.
     I let my backpack fall to the ground, "What am I going to do?  How do I get back?"
     "Are you certain you want to get back?" The driver quiried.
     "What?" I began to feel like I was in the twilight zone, like something was out of phase.  My attention was averted by a sign which caught my eye, for some reason.  I glanced at it.  It was an advertisement for Coke.  A person was lounging on the beach and drinking the beverage, but she moved!  As she drank, the bottle was emptied! I gasped, "She moved!"
     The driver nodded, "Yes, she's supposed to.  She gets thirsty every so often."
     I scoffed, "Pictures aren't supposed to move!"
     "Are we going to stand here talking about the picture or get you somewhere safe?  I have a family to get home to.  You are in Kent, a magical place.  Look, I will get you to the restaurant.  One of the waitresses will be able to help you.  Her name is Kathy." His voice softened as he took hold of my suitcase's handle, "Look, I know you've been through a lot, and I'm willing to help.  You need some food, and someone who can help you more than I can.  I would like to introduce you to someone who works here, and she can explain what's going on."
     "Ok." I blew out my cheeks and followed him through the doors and into the main bus station.

. . .




© 2012 Michelle Earl


Author's Note

Michelle Earl
See you next week...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
Added on August 21, 2012
Last Updated on August 27, 2012
Tags: Magic, Kent, Edmonton, flee, bus, fear


Author

Michelle Earl
Michelle Earl

Edmonton , Alberta, Canada



About
Michelle Earl lives in Edmonton Alberta Canada along with her husband and fish. She writes primarily fantasy with a Christian slant and poetry, although she is thinking of writing a cookbook someday... more..

Writing