Chapter 2  Into the Hole

Chapter 2 Into the Hole

A Chapter by Michelle Earl
"

Follow Jalam into the dank dark deptths of the prison - a place they call "The hole"

"

 

          “Here’s your new home, you swine.” One of the guards was being rough with him. Jalam expected it, for it was routine here. He found himself pinned against a wall like a common criminal while his partner unlocked the door to the cell where he would be living in the next few months.
          “Kovak! You have a visitor!” The guards laughed as he was thrown into what seemed to him like the abyss.
`         The door clunked shut and he could hear the key lock him in. What is this? They said it would be solitary confinement, but I’m here with this Kovak. He gingerly picked himself up off the ground, still feeling his injuries of a week and a half ago. He remembered what Baki and the guard said on the way to the cell. Apparently this man was over two hundred and fifty pounds of muscle and the meanest in the compound. According to them, he had never seen daylight since his arrival, which was since Sadals rising to the floor. His heart beat wildly.
          Where is / he? I bet he’s lurking in the back, waiting for me so that he can kill me? I had better watch my step. Just as his thoughts had evaporated, he felt the earth tremble from a weight that he couldn’t discern. A darkness, deeper than ink was in front of him and Jalam felt overwhelmed by his presence. 
          “Name?” He asked simply.
          “J.Jalam.”
          ”Well, J.Jalam, I’m Kovak.” He said. “I have three rules. First, I get first pick of the food. Second, the bed closest to the door is mine. Thirdly, you’re my slave. You do what I want when I want, and we’ll get along fine.”
          “Ok.” Jalam said tentatively. He was very uncomfortable before, but as he stood there, the cold grip of fear started clenching its hand around his throat. How am I going to get through the next few months? Ok. Baki said to do as he says. Maybe if I show him the Light of the Creator, maybe he willing to see the light of day.
          He made for the wall, and felt along it. Nearby was a cot on which he sat and it groaned under his weight. There were holes all through the bed and the linens. I’m not looking forward to this. How do they expect people to live under these conditions? I guess they don’t. Well Creator, this is it. Whether I get through this is up to you. If I am meant to survive, please grant me the strength to do what I have to. Show me your will, love and power through this.
          “You! What you doin’?” Kovak barked from the other bed.
          “Praying.”
          “Prayin’ huh? Well, every time I catch ya doin’ that, I’m gonna give ya a fistful, starting now!” Jalam felt the rush of wind and felt the earth move with the man’s lumbering steps. Then within an instant, he felt the man’s fist crash against his jaw. His head whipped back and he felt the pain sear across his cheek. How does he do it? He knew exactly where to find me. Has he developed that sense of where things are like blind people have? That wouldn’t surprise me. Another blow to the head sent Jalam reeling into the nearby wall. He thought it best to pretend that he was knocked out. Maybe he would be left alone. 
          I wonder if he was ever in the Bakra ring? He certainly has the fists for it. It’s a wonder why he hasn’t been taken from here. He would be great for bodyguard duty. I’m sure he could break a man in two if he wanted to. Oh, my head. What am I going to do if he catches me praying again? I can’t not tell him. Creator, please help me. 
 
. . .
 
          The cell door opened and the bright of the hallway filtered in. some of the rats and mice scurried out, while others laid in wait for the food. As soon as the door closed, he heard Kovak move toward the door.
          “Come and get your meal.” This was one of his good days. Once or twice he had taken both the meals and eaten them himself. He had been so hungry after those times that he had wanted to kill the man, but he soon realized that it would not be profitable. He wanted to see daylight and, hopefully Riona again, not to mention the Creator someday.
          Jalam reflected on the past few weeks that he had been in the cell with. He seems to be getting better these days. I wonder, could he have started to respect me after I had taken all those beatings? I wonder, is it safe to start to talk to him now? He was so brutal at first. He beat me once that I thought I would die. Ugh, get off! One of the rats was clinging to the edge of his tray trying to keep him from having his meal. He pushed it off, and heard it thud as well as squeal as it hit hit the ground. It had breathed 54/its last. Well, good ce. Another dead rat here won’t make a difference though. They are so fat and greedy. It’s a wonder they keep themselves so fed. Then again, they’ve given me a substantial haircut since I have arrived. I wonder how Baki is doing? The last message through the walls said that he was doing ok and he said that I have been down here a month. I can hardly wait to get out!
          “What are you doin’” Kovak finally spoke. He rarely spoke except for when he asked Jalam that. “Prayin’ again?”
          “Why? You want to beat me up some more?” Jalam replied.
          “Nope. I like ya kid.” He chewed loudly, as was his custom. Jalam hated it, but he didn’t want to be pummeled again. “I think ya got moxy kid. Nobody, and I mean nobody has survived my wrath. They either stopped believing in their god, or they have died.”
          “I know.” Jalam said simply.
          “How could you know?” Jalam heard the man drop his fork, which landed on his plate. Jalam breathed a sigh of relief, for if the utensil had reached the floor, it would be lost to the rats. Then they would miss a meal. This had happened twice during the time they were together and he was punched a second time during those days. He remembered how raw and pained he had been feeling that day, and the sound of his bones as they either cracked or broke. He was amazed at his stamina, for he thought most people would have died by now. “I haven’t told you before!”
          Jalam cringed. Should I have said that? Well, I had better tell him. “Uh, your reputation precedes you.”
          “What are they sayin’?” He growled. Uh oh. What have I started? He’s liable to take it out on me if I don’t say anything. 
          “Basically what you’re telling me now, that you have killed some people and to be careful.” Jalam said. “Nothing really bad.”
          “Oh, ok.” Kovak seemed a little deflated, but Jalam breathed a sigh of relief. He talked no more that day, but Jalam didn’t care. He continued praying for the man. Obviously the Creator was doing some work in his cellmate’s heart. 
          Tap! Clap, tap! A message was coming in. They were both intent on what was going on. Some of it was for Kovak, encouraging him to mend his ways, for there were openings in the king’s bodyguard if he did. Jalam suspected that this came from the warden. The man tended to encourage those who needed it, despite his position. Nobody higher than he knew that he sent messages along the line to those who needed encouragement. Kovak grunted and lay down on his bed. I wonder what Kovak is thinking. J-A-L-A-M, The next message is for me! Ok, what are they saying? The person on the other side of the wall continued tapping. It’s from Baki. He says that a week has passed since our last communication. That means it has been two weeks. He turned to the wall and picked up a loose stone and placed wit with another. A quarter of his sentence was done. Oh, I can hardly wait to see daylight again! What’s that? Oh, he’s telling me to keep with the faith. He wants to know how I am. 
          He picked a loose brick and a stone that had been beside the bed. Both had been scarred and nicked from repeated usage, but the lines and gouges in his hand reminded him of everything he endured. 
          “Tell him I am fine.” He spoke to himself as he rendered out the message. “I am hurting, but I think I am making progress doing the Creator’s work.”
          All right. The person in the next cell communicated. May the Creator bless you and take care of you.
          “Thank you, my friend.” He returned the blessing.
         
. . .
 
          “What did ya mean when ya said that you were makin’ progress doin’ the Creator’s work?” Kovak asked a week after he had received his message from the warden.
          “Huh?” Jalam had been deep in thought, praying for Vodak, Baki, and Riona. “Sorry, I didn’t catch that.”
            “What did ya mean when ya when ya said you were makin’ progress doin’ the Creator’s work?” Kovak repeated. “I heard ya tap it out. I know the code too.”
          Jalam’s heart skipped a beat. He hadn’t thought of the fact that he would have been taught the code as well. “Well, I pray.”
          “Humph, is that all you do is pray? Don’t you Creatorans do anything else?” He asked.
          “Most of our time is spent praying for others as well as ourselves, but we worship the Creator, read the Miran, and help out others. We also talk about the Creator a lot. Doing so helps us learn about Him.” Jalam explained.
          “Praying for others, eh?” Kovak sounded thoughtful. “Not for someone like me though.”
          “Especially for someone like you.” Jalam said. “The Creator wants us all to get to know Him.”
          “Why?” Kovak asked.
          “Why?” That made Jalam think a little. He had only just become a Creatoran himself and didn’t have many people to talk to. Usually, his letters to Riona conveyed such questions, and she would answer. “He just does. He created us to have a relationship with us. He wants to take care of us.”
          “I don’t need nobody, let alone a Creator I can’t see take care of me. How can I trust Him?” Kovak growled.
          “He will always be there, even when you’re in the direst of circumstances. He also helps you get through situations that are hard and seem beyond your control.” Jalam replied.
          “Yeah, right.”
          “I’m serious. Look at me and you for example.”
          “What about you and me?” Kovak started towards Jalam. The way he was moving made him think that Kovak was going to beat him again. If that was the case, Jalam knew he wouldn’t come out alive, and he had to, if not for his own sake, but for the love of his life. 
          “Well, I have survived every one of your beatings. I have also kept my sanity. by praying and meditating on what I have heard about Him.”
          “How can you trust him?” He asked. “I mean, he sees all that’s goin’ on down here ‘n’ all. Why don’t he do somethin’ about it?”
          “He does.”
          “Yeah right. Like what?”
          “Well,I…” Jalcom hesitated. What do I tell him? I am a new Creatoran myself, so how can I tell him in a way that he would understand when I can just barely understand myself? Help me Creator. Show me the way so that I might plant the seed that will guide him to you.
          “Out with it!” He barked. “If you don’t, I’ll flatten ya because I don’t like hypocrites!”
          “Well, he works through people.” Jalam’s heart was pounding as he spoke. “For example, and don’t let this get around, but the warden is a Creatoran.”
          “Why are ya trusting me with this information?” Komak asked.
          “Because he would.” Jalam said simply. 
          “Who? The warden?” He asked.
          Hmmm, he might trust you, but it’s the Creator I’m talking about.” Jalam was getting the sense that the big man’s heart was softening because of the Creator’s work. I hope I don’t blow this. He needs the Creator very much. Even if he was mistreated by his father in his youth, he can still learn a lot from the Creator, just as I have.
          “Why would he and you trust me? I could tell the guards that, and they would spill the beans, knowing them.” He said.
          “Yes you could, but it’s with him that you are getting the job, and I don’t think you would want to jeopardize that. Besides, “ Jalam added, “He and I see something in you that I think would speak to the fact that you wouldn’t do that.”
          “Yeah, what?” He asked.
          “For one, a lot of potential. Secondly, I see a willingness to learn about new things and an open mind.” Jalam felt that complimenting the man on his strengths would be helpful, for he sensed that not many people had done that in his life. After all, wasn’t he feared by the whole compound as well as the guards?
          “You…how do you know that about me?”
          “Well, dispite the pitch blackness of this hellhole, I am still an ok judge of character with the Creator’s help.” He added so as not to sound like he was bragging, “I think.”
          There was silence afterward that spoke volumes. Apparently Jalam had given the man much to think about. From that time on though, they became the best of friends. 
 
. . .
 
          He was standing at the door to one of the prison cells and knocking on it. Louder and louder it became. Then it changed pitch, and became more rapid. Why wasn’t the person inside opening the door? He had been told that it would be open for him.
          “Jalam! Jalam!” Komak was shaking him awake. 
          “Wha…huh?”
          “Jalam! You have a message, and I have some grand news!”
          “Ok, what is it?”
          “It’s from your Kaybot, the one who looked after you, the one called Baki. He said that your first month is over.” He said. “He wanted to know how you were. You were asleep, so I answered the message. I told him that you were fine.”
          “Thank you Kovak.” Jalam rubbed his eyes. “What is the other news?”
          “I get out of this place today!” He said. “I don’t go into training right away, but I get to move to the next level.”
          “Oh, that’s great!” Jalam tried to hide his disappointment, for he wanted Kovak to feel good about seeing daylight again. Deep down, he was really glad for the man. During the past few weeks they had had many conversations about the Creator, which lead to the big man accepting the Creator into his life. “I’m really happy for you!”
          “Ya, but ya will miss me, won’t ya?” He asked as he sat down next to him.
          “You bet I’ll miss you. I wish my time was today too.” Jalam sighed. “I wish you blessings from the Creator in whatever you do, my friend.”
          “Thank you.” Kovak replied. “I will send you a message when I get settled and every chance I get.”
          “That would be much appreciated, my friend.” Jalam smiled. “Oh, I had better get into bed. I hear voices.”
          “May the Creator be with you during the last of your stay, my friend.” Kovak patted his shoulder and started for the door, which was starting to open. Jalam knew that his friend would block their view until he got into bed, but that would only hold for a minute or two, so he quickly got into bed and covered up. He turned so that he could watch the drama unfold.
          “Ah, Kovak, you are looking well I see.” The warden was there, along with his top guards. Good for you Kovak. That means that what the warden said over the pipes is true. You will be taken to the prison’s hospital and healed of your rat wounds and then sent to the King’s guard. I pray that all will go well with you, and it will if you continue to control your temper.
          “Yes sir.” Kovak said. 
          “How is Jalam doing?”
          “Fine sir. He is resting.”
          “Excellent.” The man turned to one of his men. “Go into the cell and give that man a poke to see if he’s breathing. If he is, escort Prisoner Kovak to the Hospital. He is to stay there until his injuries are healed. At that time, you are to escort him to the barracks for training.”
          “Yes sir.” Jalam listened to the man’s footprints as they crunched against the refuse that littered the floor and waited for the man to poke him. He pretended to be asleep.
          “Huh? What?”
          “He’s alive sir. I think we’ve just awakened him Sir.” The guard called out.
          “Excellent. Come out then.” The silhouette dwindled as he walked toward the light   Then the blackness closed in. 


© 2008 Michelle Earl


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
Added on February 12, 2008


Author

Michelle Earl
Michelle Earl

Edmonton , Alberta, Canada



About
Michelle Earl lives in Edmonton Alberta Canada along with her husband and fish. She writes primarily fantasy with a Christian slant and poetry, although she is thinking of writing a cookbook someday... more..

Writing