Fish: Chapter 5

Fish: Chapter 5

A Chapter by Irena
"

Another Chapter of Fish:)

"

After breakfast, getting dressed was a trial.  What in the world did I own that would fit the Hansing, Wyoming style?  My clothes were a New York City kind of cute, not a “stupid little town that I don’t want to be in” kind of cute. 

            I slipped on a black mini-skirt, black lace up boots and a band t-shirt.  If I was going to be here, I might as well annoy everyone as much as possible, right?  The citizens of Hansing would hate these kinds of clothes.  At least I could enjoy one small victory.  I smiled a dark smile. 

            I pulled a brush through my hair and added a touch of eyeliner, then tromped down the stairs as loudly as I possibly could manage. 

            “Mimi, is that you?”  Gram called from the kitchen, over the sound of running water as she washed the dishes.

            “Yes Gram,” Who else could it possibly be?  Gramps isn’t that loud and the dog never leaves her sight. 

            “I was wondering if you’d be a doll and go to the store and get me some milk,” Gram continued.  “We seem to be fresh out.  You know where the store is, right?”

            “Yes, Gram, I’ll be fine,” I said, rolling my eyes. 

            I ran upstairs to get my sketchbook.  As long as I was getting out of the house, then maybe I could find someplace to be on my own.   

            Gram gave me some money for the milk and I was off.  It was a bright and happy morning.  The sun was just rising and there was not a cloud in sight.  I didn’t want to see anybody.  Sadly, everyone seemed to have chosen that day to stay at home and enjoy the peaceful fresh air.  I spotted a couple of older women gardening, and chatting with each other over the fence, and a man repainting his already perfectly painted white fence. 

            I ducked my head and tried to hide my face with my mess of straight, blonde hair.  It didn’t work.  Everybody said hi, and I mean everybody.  Even the little kids riding down the street on tricycles called out, “Hi, Mimi!” 

             I knew it.  Gram told everyone all about me.  Curse small towns.  Everyone finds out everything, and no one can possibly keep a secret.  I kicked a large rock forward a couple of feet.  It made an obnoxious screeching noise as it bounced across the pavement.

            All I have to do is make it to the store and back, I thought, trying to hide my face again.  I couldn’t see through the hair but it didn’t really matter anymore. 

            Step after painful step, I made my way through Hansing.  I stared ahead and mumbled halfhearted greetings to anyone who even dared say “hi” to me as I passed.

            I saw the general store directly in front of me.  Yes, it’s actually called “The General Store”.  Once again, I inwardly cursed small towns.  My friends were probably busy shopping at Prada and Tiffany’s and I was stuck at “The General Store”.

            “I bet the only clothes they sell in this town come from the back of the local drug store,” I whispered to myself in a hateful tone. 

            I got in and out of the store in about five seconds.  The details are kind of fuzzy because I blocked the entire exchange from my mind, but somehow, I walked out the door with a bottle of milk in my hands.  Then I was back on the move.  This time I travelled slowly, scanning the surrounding area.  All I needed was a quiet little corner to collect my thoughts.  No friendly neighbors, no general store, and no Gram or Gramps, just me, myself and I. 

            Suddenly, I had the urge to turn my head sharply to the right.  And there it was.  It was the perfect spot.  A tiny, dirt side street hidden among the leaves of nearby trees that seemed to be waiting there just for me.  I knew that I had to return to this place as soon as I possibly could.  



© 2011 Irena


Author's Note

Irena
Any suggestions for a better title? I know that at the moment the title, Fish doesn't make too much sense but in future chapters I promise it does, so something involving fish would be nice.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on January 15, 2011
Last Updated on January 15, 2011


Author

Irena
Irena

Springfield , VA



About
I may be a writer but I have no idea what to write in here. Hi. Read my stuff. :) more..

Writing
Blind Blind

A Stage Play by Irena


A Dream A Dream

A Poem by Irena


Stability Stability

A Poem by Irena