To Write

To Write

A by Lexi Nicole
"

Writing is the passion of the writer. It is what she cannot live without.

"

writing:/n/:a literary composition or production; the profession of a writer
But what is writing in the eyes of the writer?

 

Writing is the outpouring of a writer’s soul.
Writing is the most h-o-n-e-s-t self portrait a person may create.
Writing is the writer’s heart ripped from her chest and tattooed on the paper.

               

A writer does not simply write a story. She paints a picture. She makes a world and opens the door so that others may see her art. She does not make up characters. She makes them her friends. She learns their names and their strengths and weaknesses and she tells their story for them. She introduces them to the guests who accept her invitation and step through the threshold and into her world.

               

A writer leaves a piece of herself on every page she writes. She is vulnerable with every sentence she scribbles on the paper. And yet, at the same time, every word she lets fall from her mind makes her strong. She releases her thoughts. She lets the weight of the world drop off her shoulders. With ink as her binding, she traps it on the paper. She can conquer the world.

 

Writing is a way of life.
Writing is not a simple hobby.
Writing is the drug and the therapy.
Writing is the passion of the writer. It is what she cannot live without.

               

A pen, to a writer, is as vital as a lung or a heart. Take it away from her and she may cease to live. Her pen is her enabler. It allows her to paint worlds you could never fathom and characters who are just as real as you. Her pen is her key to a world all her own. When she scratches it over the paper, guiding the ink into words, she is making art of the most pure and beautiful kind.

 

Writing can never be /stopped/.

               

A writer does not suffer from writer’s block. She simply has too many thoughts swimming in her head to pick only one to write about. A writer lives with insomnia because her thoughts are not restrained by time. They run around her mind at all hours, pounding against her skull, begging to be let out. A writer is wide awake at two in the morning, sitting at her desk and working furiously.

               

Writing is a powerful force.

               

A writer does not wait for a muse to whisper in her ears all the things that must be put to paper. She does the work herself. She unhinges your mind so that her ideas can find their way into your head. A writer uses her work to make you think. She bends reality and makes you open your mind wider than you ever thought you could.

 

Writing is /e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g/.

 

© 2009 Lexi Nicole


Author's Note

Lexi Nicole
For everyone who eats, sleeps, and breathes writing, this piece is for you.
I'm not exactly sure what genre to put this in, but this is pretty much just my thoughts on what writing is. Comments appreciated :3

My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I absolutely loved this. Every word, every thought, every message is so true and so full of passion.

Ahh, this is a piece that every person should read and reflect on.

But: "her thoughts are no restrained by time." Did you mean "not?"

Wow. This was great. One of my favorites. Possibly even number one.

It was beautiful!
~Lauren

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was amazing. I thought it was flawless, and it struck me right in the heart. Totally described me. Love it. :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
a
This is your view. I cannot relate to many of its points and ideas. But it is a well emotionally argumented piece.

Its inspiring and well thought-thru.

I applaud your passion and patients to that it takes to search yourslef and understand your ideals!

Thank you!
(I apologize, but I won't rate this piece for it is entirely non-fictional and therefore personally, realistically subjective)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Agreed with this immensely, agree to such an unbelievable extent. I don't think I can say anything else... it just manages to capture the emotions and truth that revolve around writing incredibly well.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Writing just is .. it's one's heart, mind and spirit .. and as you express it in this wonderful writing .. it is completion of what one is .. it's life ..

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is something I would love to print and stick on my office door at school or on my bedroom door at home. It's everything I've ever wished I could describe to people who don't write, but never found the words to do the thought process justice. :)

If you were going to publish this, I'd look again at using the painting metaphor. Yes, it's a powerful image, but using it twice in such a short piece makes its power more accessible, and if you're trying to convey the overwhelming power writing holds, I'd hate for a reader who might not understand writing's draw to only think there is one way to describe its appeal.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I appreciate you howl, this made me feel a part of something very special, this thing called writing, to the uninitiated seems a mystery, to us, our hearts tattoed on paper...thanks for sharing, t.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I must say I feel stranded when I dont have a pen and a piece of paper around. I think I would lose my mind if I didn't paint my thoughts with words. Loved it! Keep writing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very inspirational! any writer worth their salt should be inpired and relate to this. WOW this might really be one of the best things i've read on this site..thank you..you've reminded me why i live with 3hours of sleep and still for some reason would have it no other way. =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


* * * * * (five stars)

Posted 14 Years Ago


absolutely loved this because i can relate.(:

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1200 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 13 Libraries
Added on August 25, 2009
Last Updated on August 25, 2009

Author

Lexi Nicole
Lexi Nicole

NY



About
Live. Love. Write. I'm 20 years old. I've been writing since I was 4. Writing is more than just a hobby. It's my passion, my drug, my therapy and my life. twitter.com/snarkvenger iaintbegginw.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Demented Demented

A Poem by Jason