And So She Danced

And So She Danced

A Poem by Lexi Nicole
"

Where, dear, did your heart go? I left it on the floor.

"

“These things I have loved in life.”

 

Where, dear, did your heart go?

 

I left it on the floor
Where it can leap and twirl forever like I had done before.
I left it in a ballet slipper
Sewn into the seams
So it can memorize the feel of ballet slippers
When I slip them on my feet.

 

                Stepping on a dance floor is like being born again. When the music starts the world simply falls away. Nothing else exists but the art. All of your worries fall from your shoulders for they are belittled by the radiant beauty of dance. When you pirouette one…two…three…four times there is no room in your mind for anything else. You simply catch a glimpse of your eyes in the mirror each time you whip your head around in another turn. When you leap into the air you are weightless. When the music pounds in your ears you let it guide you. Outside thoughts are scared away by the incredible beauty of your art.

 

Why, dear, do your tears fall?

 

                They come when I am overwhelmed
                By all the hurt in life.
                They come when I see his face
                In my line of sight.
                Somehow I feel him there
                Watching all the time.
                Darling Little Brother, help me heal this heart of mine.

 

Emotion builds quickly in the heart of a dancer. You must let it fill you. You must let it consume you. You must let it become you. You must use it to your advantage. Sadness makes you drag your feet and joy makes you leap. Sometimes you see that person you loved, that person you lost, standing behind you in the mirror, watching you, and you turn away and throw yourself onto the floor in a desperate attempt to forget. But it always comes back- it has to, because that person, they’re always there- and when it does you simply turn up the music and dance again. Their life has ended but yours will go on. If they have left this world too early live out the rest of their life in yours. Live for them. Dance for them.

 

 

Live life to fullest.
Sing like no one can hear you.
Love like you’ve never been hurt.
Dance like no one is watching.

 

In my life I’ve found that things are going to hurt you.
Cruel words will find their way to your ears.
People will  leave you.

 

But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. It’s about how much you can take and keep moving forward.”
-Rocky, Rocky Balboa (2006)

 

If you’re lonely, let dance be your friend. There might not be someone there to hold your hand. There may not be someone there to hug you and pat you on the back and tell you everything’s gonna be ok. Sometimes there’s just dance. But that’s alright. After all, sometimes dance is all you need.

 

                                     ain’t nothin’ over ‘til it’s over.

 

What, dear, will you do now?

 

                I will dance
                And I will keep dancing
                Forever.

 

…And so she danced….

 

 

“These things I have loved in life.”
Fin.

 

© 2009 Lexi Nicole


Author's Note

Lexi Nicole
Basically, in theology class we have to write reflections based on quotes and themes and things that the teachers gives us and the first one was "These things I have loved in life." I wrote this, and I'm really happy with how it came out. I chose dance and my brother. I threw the Rocky quote in because, honestly, it's my all-time favorite quote. I live by it <3
Comments and crit appreciate.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow This is so amazing!
I really enjoyed this, it's beuatiful.
I love the set up of this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is beautiful. I can feel your emotion in this. I can feel the longing to dance from you. Great great job. I'm not sure what else to say except that this is wonderful and well composed.
Keep dancing.
Keep writing.
Keep living.

-Mary

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the flow and form...i totally agree with Aveira! It is poetic, it is a story, it is ART!

beautifully done!
enjoyable read!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I LUF IT.
Seriously. Amazing work, it's poetic, it's like a story, and it's art.
Ironically, I had dance today in gym XD but that's beside the point. Great work, the feelings you put into this were pure and strong, and they SHINED in it. Great work.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

359 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 23, 2009
Last Updated on September 23, 2009

Author

Lexi Nicole
Lexi Nicole

NY



About
Live. Love. Write. I'm 20 years old. I've been writing since I was 4. Writing is more than just a hobby. It's my passion, my drug, my therapy and my life. twitter.com/snarkvenger iaintbegginw.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..