Understanding Guilt

Understanding Guilt

A Story by BlueShadow

Guilt is the emotion we feel when we consciously or subconsciously acknowledge that we did something wrong and that we deserve punishment. It is a negative emotion which makes us examine the rather complicated but simple nature of morality. Guilt is the feeling of remorse when we understand how we’re just human and that we make mistakes and that we are not and never will be perfect. Guilt is a painful and unpleasant emotion to encounter, but it is a necessary, integral, and even vital part of our emotional composition. While it would be more “fun” to talk about happiness let’s talk about guilt, a negative but important emotion.

When we tell a lie, do something immoral, or steal, it is important to understand why some things are immoral and other things are moral in the first place. Lying, cheating, stealing, murdering, and attacking are all immoral actions because of the way they affect others. Lying is an action that can be avoided but when done, creates false information and hurts other people’s feelings. Morality is centered around human social interactions and our need to feel accepted. The vast majority of us feel a pang of remorse when doing something wrong and it’s important to know our feelings are important to listen to. We feel guilt because we acknowledge subconsciously that we did something wrong.

Guilt is an unpleasant, negative, and important feeling that makes us watch our own behavior, and understand that what we do affects other people’s lives and feelings. Guilt is a sadness mixed with remorse and pain that makes us remember how much we love others, and that striving to be a good person is an important virtue in life. Personally, my conscience is a very important part of my being so guilt is a necessary emotion for me to have. Morality and the understanding of morality is very important to my life, so I will continue to try to understand why character is important.

© 2021 BlueShadow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on June 13, 2021
Last Updated on June 13, 2021

Author

BlueShadow
BlueShadow

Gainesville, FL



About
Hello! I am a Korean-American man who wrote BlueShadow because I love the English language's look, sound, and feel. I loved writing BlueShadow because I love writing in general. In BlueShado.. more..

Writing