The Tell Tale Poet

The Tell Tale Poet

A Story by icelandicblue
"

Beware the friendships you accept for they are not all equal nor are they all friendships.

"
You friended me twice
I should have gone with my gut
you
     had
          never
                  read
                        one
                             word
                                    of
                                      mine

But the second time you requested I relented and did not say no, the benefit of the doubt and all that, let's check this fellow out...

He fancies himself Poe reincarnate, the poem wasn't bad...fast friends
don't last when the bulk mail of read requests get dumped at your door and I had the nerve
to private message "Nevermore." Please reciprocate before the body of your work is left bleeding on my steps (that was the implication, I was much nicer when I said it).

He told me it was nothing personal...he had 400 friends he was writing a book he was busy...he'd get to my work sometime. I wrote back I wasn't whining, we're all busy but to please not fill my inbox with read requests until he felt that I was more than just a repository for his work. I would be happy to unfriend him, no hard feelings, should he find that request too difficult. He didn't like that. He doesn't want to be my "friend." anymore.

All this took place within 48 hours. I wasn't cooperative. I couldn't be one of the 400 who didn't question his friendship. He didn't have time to read a word of mine but he did read my messages. I suppose that's something. He blocked me in the stealth of night and I suppose some "friends" are too much work. He did leave me one more read request, like a cat leaves the gift of a dead mouse on your doorstep. But this poem was more like bloody breadcrumbs placed more for me to see what his genius had done. I had been banned, he knew I would foolishly click on his poem, and the sooner I knew my non-status the better, for I was no longer worth his time.So annoying was I for questioning him unfriending was not enough. I questioned the man behind the curtain about fairness and he reacted in a ball of blustery indignation.

To do it again...I just should have said NO once again to the second friend request. Let this be a lesson to all...don't let some high faluten' poet use you to boost his ego up onto the popular board or use you to read his poems like piece work you never get paid for on any level. We all deserve a bit of reciprocity, respect, feedback and support...isn't that what a friend is?

Choose carefully, everyone who extends a hand of friendship, everyone here is not here to be your friend. We share an interest in poetry, sometimes only in our own. Respect yourself and your time and never be afraid to speak up. There are some poets who are big babies and others who are big bullies. I'm just looking to read, learn, enjoy, perhaps make a friend or two and improve this pastime of mine some of you kindly call poetry.



© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

BRAVO!! I wonder if the person you refer to is the same one who has sent me multiple friend requests even though I deleted him. Seven or eight months ago I accepted his friend request...then received numerous read requests. In the next two months he did not reveiew my work once. When he published some long.. rambling..error filled write about why he was giving up writing which then ended up putting him in the top writers I deleted him. Since then I have received four friend requests and two messages extolling his wonderful writes. Once again...not one single review of my work. Ive noticed a handful of writers on here like this...its not the norm. Though I have had a few writers message me asking me to read a new poem of theres when the standard protocol on here is to review and then you receive a review in return. In three of these cases I did in fact review the write and received no review in return. Sigh...

To be honest if you have 400 friends theres little chance you can keep up with the reviews and comments you receive. Not unless you are seriously committed or have no other life. With a few exceptions...those with huge friends lists are most often one sided relationships. You may get an occasional pat on the head if lucky but otherwise you are just someone to stroke their ego. I prefer to stick with those who are more personal then that and actually enjoy reading other peoples work.

Amazing rant...well said.... applause here!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I am sure it is the same person. He doesn't even respond to comments on his work. He's too lofty. Fo.. read more



Reviews

I wish this posting of you're, Icelandicblue, was placed before the login or registration of new beginners, to show them, the proper behaviour expect of them, when they enter, into the site. Otherwise, Redflutterby has beautifully said, everything else, I have to say.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ha! This is great. I read the "About" section of your profile after reading this and I get it. Wonderfully written in poetically Poe-esque language. Like a sneering rant delivered with a jar of acid. The elevated sense of frustration and anger, though I assume are genuine to some extent, made me laugh as well, probably because they are so true. I found myself nodding along and grinning and saying "yep!" throughout this piece. I tend to browse and find works or authors that I like, comment on the work, and don't play the read-request game too much myself. This makes me not want to do it at all. Very good.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading! This happened just over a few days...then poof... I was done. What can you do so.. read more
Dropped by to check out more of your work, and all I can add is "Been there, did that, didn't buy the tee shirt" I too was flooded with this guys work, dutifully reviewed, and when I pointed out the ratio was heavily swayed in my favor, he poked a couple of mine with some platitudes. His production volume has dropped off of late. Well stated.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Live and learn eh? One of my favorite poems (of mine) is the Winter Room I think that I do bleak bes.. read more
NoelHC

9 Years Ago

I shall check that one out. Thanks.
This certain someone has never bothered reviewing my stuff either, even though I have his. My read requests have been filled constantly with his work.. and glory to the pen that keeps flowing but yeah I expect it to be somewhat mutual after all besides our friendship the only other thing we have to offer on this website is words for each others artistic endeavors. I hope this is a wake up call for him to stop being selfish and start appreciating others as they've shown appreciation in him.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

HiYa Keegan,

Long time no see...good to hear your thoughts. I'll be sure to check out y.. read more
You do have a way with words Anne, and usually write what's going in my head, but so muchly better! Who knew poetry could be so stressful, great one!

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

LOL it's cathartic at least. ; )
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Ha yep and I have a luverly straitjacket to prove it LOL ;-)
Wow I truly love this read, most here don't even receive read request as its block; but they keep sending RR. Such an honesty in your write, we are here to support eachother and make friends. We all write and in various ways and as authors we are connected, my read request is open for all. I want to support my friend and learn from them, educate myself and humbly feel honor to have them in my life. I'm glad you share and guide us well. Thank you!

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you A. Reciprocity and respect are in integral part to any relationship. I appreciate your wor.. read more
A. Amos

9 Years Ago

You're most welcome my friend
Yes indeed the very reason I don't send read requests, if l like something l read l'll comment and likewise, it works similarly with my own submissions l would humbley surmize ?

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I have stopped as well. I know my friends will eventually stumble across my words. Thank you Tom.
What an absolute blinder of a riposte to this 'fair weather friend' you were briefly acquainted with, almost a poem in itself and rest assured, if he didn't get it before, well he certainly has now !!

Your fine write concurs and confirms one of the reasons I never send read requests, like you, I take people at face value but sadly, many are not of the reciprocal nature !!!


Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1538 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 22, 2014
Last Updated on April 22, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


HAMAS HAMAS

A Poem by Baby Ricochet