The Tell Tale Poet

The Tell Tale Poet

A Story by icelandicblue
"

Beware the friendships you accept for they are not all equal nor are they all friendships.

"
You friended me twice
I should have gone with my gut
you
     had
          never
                  read
                        one
                             word
                                    of
                                      mine

But the second time you requested I relented and did not say no, the benefit of the doubt and all that, let's check this fellow out...

He fancies himself Poe reincarnate, the poem wasn't bad...fast friends
don't last when the bulk mail of read requests get dumped at your door and I had the nerve
to private message "Nevermore." Please reciprocate before the body of your work is left bleeding on my steps (that was the implication, I was much nicer when I said it).

He told me it was nothing personal...he had 400 friends he was writing a book he was busy...he'd get to my work sometime. I wrote back I wasn't whining, we're all busy but to please not fill my inbox with read requests until he felt that I was more than just a repository for his work. I would be happy to unfriend him, no hard feelings, should he find that request too difficult. He didn't like that. He doesn't want to be my "friend." anymore.

All this took place within 48 hours. I wasn't cooperative. I couldn't be one of the 400 who didn't question his friendship. He didn't have time to read a word of mine but he did read my messages. I suppose that's something. He blocked me in the stealth of night and I suppose some "friends" are too much work. He did leave me one more read request, like a cat leaves the gift of a dead mouse on your doorstep. But this poem was more like bloody breadcrumbs placed more for me to see what his genius had done. I had been banned, he knew I would foolishly click on his poem, and the sooner I knew my non-status the better, for I was no longer worth his time.So annoying was I for questioning him unfriending was not enough. I questioned the man behind the curtain about fairness and he reacted in a ball of blustery indignation.

To do it again...I just should have said NO once again to the second friend request. Let this be a lesson to all...don't let some high faluten' poet use you to boost his ego up onto the popular board or use you to read his poems like piece work you never get paid for on any level. We all deserve a bit of reciprocity, respect, feedback and support...isn't that what a friend is?

Choose carefully, everyone who extends a hand of friendship, everyone here is not here to be your friend. We share an interest in poetry, sometimes only in our own. Respect yourself and your time and never be afraid to speak up. There are some poets who are big babies and others who are big bullies. I'm just looking to read, learn, enjoy, perhaps make a friend or two and improve this pastime of mine some of you kindly call poetry.



© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

BRAVO!! I wonder if the person you refer to is the same one who has sent me multiple friend requests even though I deleted him. Seven or eight months ago I accepted his friend request...then received numerous read requests. In the next two months he did not reveiew my work once. When he published some long.. rambling..error filled write about why he was giving up writing which then ended up putting him in the top writers I deleted him. Since then I have received four friend requests and two messages extolling his wonderful writes. Once again...not one single review of my work. Ive noticed a handful of writers on here like this...its not the norm. Though I have had a few writers message me asking me to read a new poem of theres when the standard protocol on here is to review and then you receive a review in return. In three of these cases I did in fact review the write and received no review in return. Sigh...

To be honest if you have 400 friends theres little chance you can keep up with the reviews and comments you receive. Not unless you are seriously committed or have no other life. With a few exceptions...those with huge friends lists are most often one sided relationships. You may get an occasional pat on the head if lucky but otherwise you are just someone to stroke their ego. I prefer to stick with those who are more personal then that and actually enjoy reading other peoples work.

Amazing rant...well said.... applause here!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I am sure it is the same person. He doesn't even respond to comments on his work. He's too lofty. Fo.. read more



Reviews

Hello Blue, my friend. I understand this. I have literally spent hours reading and reviewing my friends work. I care as give my heart. Some never bother to reciprocate, but thankfully most do. I must say in truth, I get far more than I could ever give, even by simply reading the creative poetry and stories here. Maybe we could just let the little bothersome moments go? It is not representative of the whole. You have many friends who are true and love your work as much as your dear personality.
Still, it is good to call out the dogs from time to time. ;)
I did enjoy the read. Entertaining. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I agree with you. I believe in fairness. When one presents as a "friend" there are certain expectati.. read more
excellent! I bet plenty of us here could easily relate. you said out loud what probably many were thinking.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you, nice to meet you. I like for my world to make sense...fairness makes sense to me and self.. read more
Woody

9 Years Ago

you're most welcome and great to meet you, too.
I must say you've written what many of us feel here. I do, especially. I reject all friend requests if I or the "friend" have never reviewed one another. This is a site for serious writers who would like to learn as well as display their works. It is a reciprocal relationship, at all times. Glad to be your friend :)

Great, necessary, relevant piece here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks G...the feeling is mutual.
Well said, Icelandicblue. I have a clue of who you write. I will happily start deleting him myself forthright. You are correct. He doesn't respond in kind, but then...I don't believe he's even requested a friend's list from me yet. He does like to load my request box full, though. I try very hard to make a circuit and read all of my friends' work and leave reviews...it is a lot of work. But I'm with you. Friends reciprocate, and if they don't...then they really shouldn't be listed as friends. Nice work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Bright. I think in a former life I must have been a revolutionary of some kind. I get.. read more
Oh! Well done I say! "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!!!" WOW...this has happened to me as well/ someone friend you and then all you ever get is endless RR's. No doubt they are a prolific writer in all respects but some of these poetic super-freaks crank out 5 even 10 poems a day. Now having said that, I do have MY days where I am a writing machine but I respect that others need time for themselves and I don't often send out many RR's. I enjoy my own work and I amuse myself frequently...in other words, with out getting a big head about it....I know that I'm good...I don't need a hundred people fluffing my ego.....but it sure is nice when they do! HAHA. Excellent write B-ICE!

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks Raymond. We all have creative interludes and that is fine. Total selfishness is not. Thanks s.. read more
Whoooo.
Great write.
I've only been here a few weeks but get loads of read requests. The ones I don't like much I tend to be honest about it. If they don't like it tough, shouldn't send requests if they just want people to suck up to them.
I'm with you.
What a great way to let off steam.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

That's the spirit! Thank you.
Wise words that offer insight and caution worth heeding. I am one of those who tends to accept everyone naiively, without thinking, but I will be more discerning after reading this. I dislike "dramas" and see them as so unnecessary on a writing site of all places !! This reeks of injustice and over-reaction, laced with pure pettiness. Thanks for putting it out there, appreciate it very much. Penny

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Penny. I hope it saves you some aggravation at the very least.
I'm new and friendless so far but I'll be on the lookout for users. Thanks

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

No problem.
I like this so much! I believe highly in respect and true friendship. Everyone is not always looking for friendship only popularity or ego boosting as you already covered. It is very annoying when people do that. I've encountered that many times on other social sites. While there's others who bust their butts reviewing like crazy because they appreciate the writer and the work that has been created by that writer. I have learned to come out of my shell and begin to give whether it be online or offline. Its good to give then to get, it softens the heart and the soul becomes more humble. Just some thoughts and I really needed to read this thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you I appreciate your thoughts.
Good job you've done here. I totally agree with you, there are people who just expect you to be there to read and review their work, so that they can feed their ego, no matter of the quality of their work..and there are people who try to use others to "tell the tale" in their place, if you know what I mean..
It's really a coincidence, but I just added a blog entry and a connected poem on another aspect of writing (I'm not asking you to read them) and... I was also thinking about the Poes Raven ...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your thoughts and I will check out your blog and poem. If we bring it into the light p.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1535 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 22, 2014
Last Updated on April 22, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114