This Muddled Mess Of Me

This Muddled Mess Of Me

A Poem by icelandicblue
"

Inspired by Poppy's fabulous poem Air the Rot Lest I Decay Rapidly

"
Look deeper if you dare, if you care.
I am broken, damaged, smouldering with pain.
Boot strap pick up and I act my day away
while people barely look up.

Even the simple business of living is complex.
Am I more than my pain? The beauty
around me is dulled and oily.
I cannot simply shake it off like a wet dog.

I hide things out of necessity but they are not secrets.
They are fear,anxiety and depression that I shove down my gullet
and while I choke on them I am still able to make a pithy
observation or tell an original joke, they think I am funny and smart.

So much of me they see is a mask,
for if they saw me from the inside out
they would cover their eyes and pray
to a higher being or bury me undisclosed.

Suffering cannot be measured quantitatively
and there is no qualitative scale,
I once thought I was seeking happiness
but realize now contentment will do.

The safest way for me purge this blackness is to write
like the girl in the red shoes, make my fingers bleed and accept
that my life did not turn out the way I thought or in a manner I foolishly believed I deserved.
All the ingredients for success were there but the oven was on too high for too long.

And as the specter of time hangs over me
it neither declares itself friend or foe so I ignore it,
and hope that I have bought enough of it to try again
and straighten out this muddled mess of me.

© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Its vulnerable and in that good. Exquisite actually. Sharp. I like it

Posted 8 Years Ago


icelandicblue

8 Years Ago

Ah yes, I remember writing this one. Thank you again.
annalysiar

8 Years Ago

You're welcome
As writers, I think we are naturally more reflective; and the older we get, the more reflective we become. I was recently thinking along these same lines myself. To look back on life and see little of consequence can be so depressing. Sadly, 95% of us will never know much less reach our highest potential. Accepting the gravity of the fall can be so self-defeating. I think the trick is to keep our eyes on the stars. They shine as a beacon to remind us that there is a silver lining.

Posted 8 Years Ago


icelandicblue

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Linda. It's nice to see you on the site. I'm currently getting an additional teach.. read more
And as the specter of time hangs over me
it neither declares itself friend or foe so I ignore it,
and hope that I have bought enough of it to try again
and straighten out this muddled mess of me.

Anne, this write is so personal and so poignant. I think I know exactly from where you speak. The only word of advice I can offer is don't be a victim of your own thoughts. Seriously when the suffering starts to mess things up … shut those thoughts down. Much Love:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


To find those who take the time and attention to look deeper is rare.. to find those who care enough to try and understand is even more rare.. at the same time, we often don't want to look deeper inside of our own self, afraid of what we might see.. knowing what "mess" is down there.. We become so conditioned and used to putting on that mask/act for everyone else that we actually start to believe it.. it is easier... less painful... The fifth stanza is the one that hit me the hardest.. it cannot be measured.. nor is there one fix all.... "but realize now contentment will do."..... to achieve this.. we have to be happy with ourselves.. that takes looking, understanding, and accepting what it is that is in that darkened depth.. wouldn't it be easier if we could click those red shoes together and everything be ok?.. I think a lot of us can relate to writing helping us purge until we can find a way to straighten out that mess.. amazing writing as usual.. I loved this..

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

The red shoes sound perfect. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment.
And what a beautiful mess you are my friend… this crazy thing we call life can tear down even the strongest of souls.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Oh you...thanks ; )
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

9 Years Ago

Yes I am me, you're welcome.
"This muddled mess of me"...words I can relate to. I belive we all wear masks at one time or another - wanting the intimacy of someone to see beyond that mask and yet, do we really? Perhaps not...perhaps that mask is our security blanket our protection.

As the spector of time hangs over me,
it neither declares itself friend or foe so I ignore it...
How true this is...it is so much easier to ignore something than face the reality...(perhaps that is why I write).
Your words have touched me - and left me thinking...

:) Julie

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and for your response. We are complex beings and most of that complexi.. read more
It is interesting to see how you speak of masks, I would think most are unaware that they are using them and furthermore they say to themselves "I do not wear masks" "what you see is what you get" as I sign for honesty when in fact to most off us the masks wears us as we require conciousness to be aware we are asleep to the fact. From then on the writing continues in the same vein whereby every sign of discovery will require a good effort to be understood. The constant pain, the senselss suffering, the semi - precence that seems to hang about clouding our daily skies.

Have I been forsaken? One could wonder or is it that behind every challenge there is something significant to be learnt?

Thankyou


Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Ah Rene your insights never cease to amaze me. The mask wears us is a perfect example. Very often my.. read more
This so beautifully describes the outer face we put on as we struggle with our internal turmoil.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I think the human race does the facade better than the actual construction of self. All t.. read more
Awww, I cannot begin to tell you how much this has moved me.
Wonderful words that ring so true for too many people.
We should all look a little deeper. To truly know someone.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I do think it's a universal struggle to meld the outer with the inner. Blessed is the person who can.. read more
Ice, we are a flock of messy humans, aren't we? I was just thinking of all my inadequacies and my failures...how to take a chance and rise above them? I've made a mess of my professional potential, and I sit here writing poetry, not knowing what else to do. I can completely identify with this poem. You write amazing, powerfully raw pieces full of truth and self castigation. It's quite scary how similar we are...

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you Bright Ocean Star. Being human is messy business. I appreciate your honesty. I think a lot.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

622 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 25, 2014
Last Updated on October 25, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..