We Travel Page by Page

We Travel Page by Page

A Poem by icelandicblue

I crack that virgin spine
with the deftness of a pro.
The scent of her potential wafts
into the deepest recesses of my brain.

It's enough for only a moment,
a cursory glance at the supine sides
already becoming supple beneath
my nimble fingers as I push the edges wide.

The anticipation is beyond containment
as I lie back on soft pillows and take
a sip of wine. There is no point of return,
the weight of my deed is filled with guilty pleasure.

And I sigh...

I gently remove the cover and peer
hungrily upon her bold delicious title
and we begin our journey together,
I turn the pages, and she, tells me her story.



© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

All lovers of the written word can relate to this poem. When a book opens, we fall in. It's the safest way to travel to far and distant lands and a vicarious way of experiencing the yet unknowns. We have a local book store called Givens Book Store. While they are in a new building now, I much prefer the old one, with the basement that smelled of old leather-bound, gilded-paged books. I spent so many days and so many lunch hours delving through the first editions and particularly loved the ones hidden behind glass walls. Sadly, those enjoyable visits dissipated with the building of the new store. There are great modern conveniences, such as the Kindle; but in my opinion, there's just nothing like holding an actual book within your hands. I love this one, and it's refreshing to come back and read your work after having been away for so long.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I have loved books right from my very first Dr. Suess book. Thank you Linda.



Reviews

Perhaps the persona here loves to read a book or novel while savoring her favorite drink. When I was a little kid. I used to love stories of believe and make believe and I will lay down in a folding bed under a mango tree and read the book at my heart's content or until I fall asleep. I really enjoyed it and my child imagination ran in all corners of the globe. I enjoyed reading stories with background pictures.

Then later I was able to read stories with just plain letters but the anticipation builds up as I get closer to the end of the chapter anticipating the ending... This piece brought back childhood memories when I have all the time in the world to read. Thanks for sharing Icelandicblue...

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I am happy that this reminded you of a time when you had all that time in the world. Thank you.
NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

It's my pleasure Icelandicblue
Oh my goodness, simply sublime. What wonderful metaphors you spin my dear iclandiceblue, delightful to read through. And I sigh....I crack that virgin spine with the deafness of a pro, the scent of her potential wafts - you are on fire here, hot burning love. I am loving this (cannot copy/paste), so I moving up and down, woe, the anticipation is beyond containment. ...bold delicious title. This flows like a dream....I just always enjoy your writing so much -and the ending was fab too, I turn the pages, and she, tells me her story. What's so special you express not the feeling sad/happy/blau, of how the character feels and that is alway necessary when writing the poetry especially of love; not the typical clique' but love poems are clique' and that's okay, but you go way beyond. (always difficult exspecially with love to me). Thank you so much. You did it again lovely lady.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Confuser. I appreciate you putting so much thought into my poem. ; )
Confuser

9 Years Ago

Oh dear, I am so, so slow, sometimes I come back and read again. And I don't have the eloquent verb.. read more
I hope your addiction to paper mixes well with the wine....and you mustn`t spill it on those nice white pillows! Love this. P.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I will be extremely careful. Thanks Pete.

5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1620 Views
43 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on December 20, 2014
Last Updated on December 20, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil