Love's Principle

Love's Principle

A Poem by icelandicblue

The phone sat like a cat in my lap,
it purred for my attention so I caressed it,
turned it in my hands over and over
as I worked up the courage to call.

It had been so long since I melted
like softened wax into your arms,
but cold winds of misunderstanding had blown in
and we both hardened our principles into weapons.

We cut each other as our need and disappointment bled
over the white lace tablecloth of the life
that we had woven. We became shrouded in misconceptions.
The fairy tale that wasn't was all that was left.

My bravery, driven solely by the anxiety pounding in my head
increased as I pressed your number and waited to hear
your voice, low and melodious, I breathed in each note when you answered
before you knew it was me, but it changed timbre when you heard mine.

You paused and breathed in slowly,
I knew you were choosing your words carefully.
I knew in that moment they would be hurtful but I waited
"I thought I asked you to get lost all those years ago?" You hissed.

"You did," I answered, "And I still am...lost."
"My heart's been misplaced since I sent you away you know," His voice softened.
"I know where it is, I still have it. Do you want it back?" I whispered.
"Yes, I do...banishing you was not the escape I had hoped for."

Neither of us had truly eluded the other, we just ran away
from the jagged parts of loving. As we exchanged
our feelings we agreed that there are no principles
existed that would brush our tears away or keep us warm at night.

Principles were good for counting sheep on sleepless nights.
And so, we would meet, fraught with awkward glances and first kisses
that weren't really first, to see if we had learned that
principles were maleable and that true love was indeed absolute.

© 2015 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
-- ohhhh... my favourite line has to be... "Principles were good for counting sheep on sleepless nights."... killer stuff, dudette... -- but this poem is not just about that one line... it's about a poet's ability to observe poetry in real-life moments and relay it to the ready with an earnest elegance... -- in short, you're the kind of poet i like to describe as a rocket poet... :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


icelandicblue

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much serah. You are too kind. There's a poem in there "Rocket Poet!"
.

8 Years Ago

-- you're very welcome... -- and yes... one day i'll write about all the "rocket poets" i've discove.. read more
Wow beautifully crafted. I could picture it. Her toying with the phone debating on calling him. Amazing. Just amazing.. I could feel it all the anxiety then the raw emotion... Very nice

Posted 8 Years Ago


icelandicblue

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much annalyslar. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.
Wow!!!! ahhh the imagery is way out this world, i could see you fondling with your phone, thinking whether to call or not, your heart pounding as you waited for him to answer, I could see all that...the first conversation after a long time, you know I have also felt like that before and that feeling you have depicted so well. I like the ending of it. Good very good and well written

Posted 8 Years Ago


icelandicblue

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much Cassie. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
It is always sad to see those who run away from love, turn it away when they feel it's going wrong. This write was heartbreaking, but it signaled something right, the power of moving on. It's never easy to move on once you've opened up and gotten to really know someone for who they are...and them for who you are. It's rare to feel accepted and loved by others. We can't always find the perfect love the first time, but that doesn't mean love isn't worth it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I must thank you for reading my work. I will be sure to return the favor. Your responses are so flui.. read more
first two verses are killer for me .. you do write with such passion, Icey, .. this is no exception .. what a horrific conflict .. i am surprised with the ending .. such separations rarely mend .. but like you say true love is supreme ..
my Da' was an immalleable Irish, Catholic, Democrat ..in just that order .. when he "discussed" things his veins stuck out on his forehead and his face beaded up and turned red .."I am NOT mad!" he would shout.. ( I sure love and miss him) I turned completely opposite in "principles" in my "growing" years .. but with persistence and a can of beer we came to terms and had the most marvelous talks .. swinging on his home made swing and watching the martins swoop .. and drinking beer .. look what you have reminded me of .. thank you so much! ;) he was a fine man .. went to work every day and never ever complained .. :)
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

He E~
Thank you for sharing such a lovely memory. I always look forward to your visits.
This is beautiful. You built up to the 3rd stanza from the end and in those few words of building I found myself breathless. Would the wall come down? Would the cold thaw? You were kind and gave me that thing that you made me hope for. Would that it could be everyone's reality. Well done, well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Hello CSG~
I appreciate the comment and I am happy you found the ending hopeful. I hope that .. read more
From the opening simile to the last honest verse, this is a great piece, Blue. Running away from the jagged parts of loving - some people will always be running, if that is the case.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you Rita. ; )
' Neither of us had truly eluded the other, we just ran away - from the jagged parts of loving. As we exchanged - our feelings we agreed that there are no principles - existed that would brush our tears away or keep us warm at night.'

Hurt so often wrenches us away from logic and calm; emotions just pull us earth up and chuck us in opposing directions like tarnished hope, So sad, such wasted sadness when touching fingers, exchanging words whatever their decibel could sort out something worth keeping. I don't know.. you've touch a spot in my mind, my heart too, methinks.. there's so much subtle thinking, so much genuine emotion in your words.. you've captured the stress and moulded it into something definable. Wonderful writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

emmajoy~

Your response is just so beautiful...poetic really. I thank you from the bot.. read more
Ice, this is such a poignant snapshot of a love that flows very deep. Perfect for the week after Valentine's Day. You have a nice writer's voice, with great descriptive areas. I love the metaphor of the phone as a cat purring in your lap. Very nicely done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Bright Ocean Star.
Bright Ocean Star

9 Years Ago

you are welcome.
"You did," I answered, "And I still am...lost."

A beautifully written poem. Love never dies, just fades into the background; waiting, waiting, for a re-birth that seldom happens.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you Beccy for such a lovely comment.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

571 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on February 17, 2015
Last Updated on February 28, 2015

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..