The Victorious Walking Dead

The Victorious Walking Dead

A Story by Colleen

Darien clenched his fist around the gold locket that belonged to his sister. For three centuries, the ruby encrusted oval hung around her neck faithfully, but two nights ago, it was the only thing found in her room. Celia was younger than him by a few short years, but age held no bearing anymore. They were both old in this world…both cursed. The only person Darien had left was missing and he had a pretty good idea what happened to her. He tucked the jewel safely into his pocket and turned to the group of men behind him; vampires all, and the only few remaining free runners in the entire United States.

                “The security will be difficult to pass,” said Paulo, a young eighteenth-century vamp. “You propose this at great risk, with no guarantee that Celia is even being held there, or if she is still even walking.” Paulo would never use the word alive to describe their status " for him, the term held far too much pain.

                “She is there!” hollered Darien. “Her energy links with mine " I can feel her presence.” He scanned the grounds for sign of a guard … he located six. Fortunately, the vamps outnumbered them three to one. It was not the guards that concerned Darien, though. What he would find inside terrified him.

                For many years, vampires had been going missing, and four months ago, the mystery was solved. The United States government had been kidnapping them for scientific research. Determined to find the gene that was responsible for the immortality and strength of the vampire race, scientists had been experimenting on them … torturing them. An ancient vampire by the name of Aeris risked much to gather the information needed. The images that he was forced to endure while working undercover in the lab drove him insane. Even a vampire could not inflict the atrocities that these humans committed against their kind. Aeris was found one night with a stake through his heart. There was no doubt he put it there, himself.

                Now, here Darien stood, with his army of vampires, prepared to break through the walls of the testing center and rescue Celia and any other vampire who remained intact. It was time for them to fight back. It was time for vampires to claim their freedom. Darien scowled at the irony of it all. Vampires had always been thought of as animals " killing at will, only to be treated as animals in a laboratory. Humans seemed to have forgotten that vampires were once human, too. The humans become the animals, he thought wryly.

                A gentle nudge on his shoulder told him that the men were waiting. Darien bared his teeth and howled into the night as he leapt towards the fenced-in building with nearly twenty others close on his tail. It was October 30, 2010 … the night when the walking dead reclaimed their rightful place in the world.

 

 Colleen Ludgate, Editor, FunAdvice.com

© 2010 Colleen


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I was just wondering around and found this. I like it glad I found it. Nice job this is amazing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was intense; I could practically taste Darien's revenge as he thought of how barbaric the human race was to his kind. This would actually sound like a cool novella to write! (:

Posted 13 Years Ago


Awesome story Colleen, I was riveted
I do enjoy a good vamp story every now
and again and this ones a beauty..well
done.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2850 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2010
Last Updated on September 28, 2010

Author

Colleen
Colleen

Virginiatown, Ontario, Canada



About
It's just me...searching for my place in the world. I am: Mother of 3 Buddhist Politically Apathetic Optimist Honest Analytical Minimalist I am not: Judgmental Narcissistic Greedy Alw.. more..

Writing
Why Buddha? Why Buddha?

A Poem by Colleen


Old Friend Old Friend

A Poem by Colleen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..