Kidnapped!

Kidnapped!

A Chapter by Kat
"

There's trouble brewing when both bride and groom go missing on the same day!

"

The Hall of Ancestors was packed from end to end with guests. Wearing silks, furs, feathers, leather, satin and the like, they rubbed shoulders with each other, speaking fair words with daggers in their eyes, particularly when speaking with those whom they considered their enemies.

Novidians and Nomirisans had the most venom towards each other, and with good reason. For ten thousand years, the Angevins and Hanovers had been bitter enemies. No one knew the cause, and no one cared to research the reason why. Diplomatic meetings had failed miserably, with some smart-mouthed noble always snarking off at another smart-mouthed noble. Before you could say "Fight!", everyone got in on the act, and before long it was on for young and old.

Finally, the High Queen had had enough. She'd ordered Princess Meghan of Novidia and Prince John of Nomiris to marry. Naturally, the two had protested vociferously, and upon their first meeting two weeks ago, had exchanged some very bitter words. But time and common sense had prevailed, and now the two were head over heels. Meghan was even reported to be pregnant, which surprised no one, and indeed, that was deemed as being a very good thing. Thanks to 'natural selection' of the bloodthirsty variety, they were practically the last of their houses, and it was just as well Meghan was with child.


Prince Regent Harald of Novidia and Princess Regent Margaret of Nomiris sat atop the dais. For fifteen years they'd watched over their charges, and both considered it a good thing the young prince and princess were so in love. To mark the occasion, the two regents had agreed to wear their opposite's colours - Margaret wore a black mantle embroidered with dancing silver unicorns over her red and gold dress, while Harald wore a sash embroidered with the prancing red lion on gold that represented Nomiris. They were even holding hands! Whispers grew loud when the Prince Regent whispered a jest in the Princess Regent's ear, and she laughed, giving him a light tap on the arm with her red-and-gold fan. He grinned and kissed her on the cheek, causing her to blush and sending a hoot through the crowd. Novidians and Nomirisans alike saw this as a good sign; as indeed it was. Margaret and Harald had been friends from childhood, and the wisest of their respective countrymen. They were the glue which held the two countries together, keeping them from engaging in their favourite pastime of heedless slaughter, and they were both very level headed.

So it was no real surprise when Novidians and Nomirisans began talking in earnest about possibly setting this rather ridiculous and outdated feud aside.

Until a horrified handmaiden came running into the hall, shocking news on her lips. Princess Meghan had gone missing!

Camaraderie turned to clashes as Novidians and Nomirisans turned on each other like angry cats. One almost expected them to sprout fluffed up tails and laid back ears. Accusations flew thick and fast as the Novidians made vows to slaughter every last Nomirisan until not a miserable one of them was left. Not even Prince Regent Harald's shouted orders could quell the outpouring of outrage - until a shocked page came into the hall. Prince John had also gone missing!

Now it was the turn of the Nomirisans to declare war on the Novidians, and factions sprang up like mushrooms after rain as the two nations called on favours owed them by their neighbouring nations. Even the more neutral countries jumped on the war bandwagon, eager for a slice of the action. No matter that they had stayed out of the millennia-old conflict - war was a thrilling pastime, and there wasn't a country who didn't love a good old-fashioned brawl.

Margaret and Harald stared at each other in dismay. They hated that they now had to mobilise their armies against each other. But there was nothing to be done. War had been declared. Diplomacy simply would not work.

But even as the two regents bid each other a sorrowful farewell, the burning question was in both their minds. What was going on? Who had kidnapped Meghan and John? And why?



© 2020 Kat


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this so far. I hope the war stuff is averted since that doesn't interest me. But I like the drama and how easy it would be to turn this into a comedy,/drama.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kat

3 Years Ago

It certainly can go that way. Thanks for reading!
I hope there will be dragons, because of the title haha!

So far, I'm enjoying the plot, there was definitely some good lore detail given about the nations. It reminds me of the ATLA episode where the two groups had been in conflict and their stories were different.

It is bizarre how everyone wants to fight so much, I wonder too, what happened to the two characters.
Please continue!

Thank you for sharing! :-)

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2020
Last Updated on August 1, 2020


Author

Kat
Kat

Geelong, Victoria, Australia



About
Welcome to my profile! I'm a 40-something who writes all kinds of interesting stories! I have a gorgeous black cat, and I love reading, knitting, and writing. Be sure to visit often; you never know wh.. more..

Writing
Ransom Ransom

A Chapter by Kat


Dragon Dragon

A Chapter by Kat


Politics Politics

A Chapter by Kat