Meeting the Grandfather

Meeting the Grandfather

A Chapter by Kat
"

Parathallaxa meets his grandson, and there's nerves all around

"

Parathallaxa was nervous, more nervous than he could ever recall being in all his long life. In fact, as he waited for Meghan and John to arrive, he admitted he was actually scared of meeting his distant grandson. He had no idea how John had reacted to the news of his heritage, but all reports indicated that the young dragon was adjusting well to his new life. It just remained to be seen how well he would take to his new duties. 

For Parathallaxa was nearing the end of his life. He'd held on for as long as he could, waiting for the day when one of his descendants would come back to him; now that John had returned, he felt that he could finally lay his burden aside. But there remained many months of training before John could be entrusted with the burden of guarding the world, and Parathallxa feared that he'd die before he could teach his grandson all the tricks of the trade, to borrow a human expression. But at least he'd have Meghan by his side; their reunion outside in the courtyard had gone well, and early indications suggested they were willing to put old issues aside. Even so, they had extraordinarily long lives ahead of them; their rapport now didn't necessarily indicate that they would remain happily married for the duration of their lives. 

The sound of voices outside intruded on Parathallaxa's brooding, and he shook off gloomy thoughts as Meghan and John entered. John's tiny size came as a shock; Parathallaxa had expected his grandson to be larger, maybe as large as Kerrus. But he was still a creation dragon; his size didn't matter, and besides, once he'd mastered his most basic abilities, he'd be able to alter his size at will, and break the curse which had trapped him in this form. Parathallaxa planned to have very stern words with the shade of the witch who had been John's mother.

'My grandson,' he said in greeting. 'I am so very pleased to see you.'

John looked suitably poleaxed, but he showed remarkable courage in his reply. 'Likewise,' he said. 'But... how far back does our relationship go?'

Parathallaxa had to chuckle, a deep bass rumble which caused the floor to shake. 'My dear child, I am your grandfather,' he said. 'Leave off the numbers.'

'Well, I can't argue with that,' John agreed. 'It'd probably give me a headache.'

'I suspect it would,' Parathallaxa agreed. 'How much do you know, and how do you feel about it all?'

'Confused,' John admitted, looking shamefacedly at Meghan. 'And I admit to feeling a bit sore towards Meghan, since we share the same ancestor which caused such strife to both our races. But I know enough of my history and hers to know that neither of us are to be blamed for the sins of our fathers, and Meghan's a very decent girl.' He took a deep breath and drew himself up to his full tiny height. 'I'd like to formally ask the permission of any dragon here who wishes to take the role of kinsman, that I may be able to propose to her.'

Meghan gasped. "You'd do that?" she said, tears filling her eyes as she gave John's head a gentle stroke, causing him to arch up with a contented trill that made Parathallaxa smile. "I mean, I'm not going to say no, but are you sure?"

'Many years ago, before humans came along, dragons and unicorns often wed, in order to create a stronger tie, and to ensure their magics remained in harmony,' Parathallaxa offered. 'I do not wish to force this on you, but if you two are speaking with the same voice on this matter, then perhaps you can view it not as fulfilling the geas, but as a natural continuation of the order that has now resumed. In any case, there remains no rush. You have the rest of your lives before you, and plenty of time to get to know one another.'

'I want to do this,' John said firmly. 'I don't care if I'm rushing into things. I just know that this is something I want.' He hesitated as he turned to Meghan. 'I'm not going to be mad if you think it over and decide to say no,' he added. 'I mean, we're only just starting to truly get to know one another, but I know that I do want to marry you. Maybe not now, but definitely sometime later down the track.'

"I think we both need time to think about this in more depth," Meghan agreed. "I want to marry you also, but I want to be sure we're doing it for the right reasons."

Parathallaxa nodded. 'Then go and live,' he told them. 'Take your time, and know that your lives will not be forfeit if you choose not to wed with each other. I have a back up just in case.' 

"Thanks," Meghan said gratefully. 

'You're very wise,' John added. 'And you might have just saved me from flying blindly.' 

Parathallaxa chuckled. 'I did nothing of the sort,' he chided his grandson. 'I merely expressed my thoughts on the situation. What you did with it was entirely your own business. Now, be off with the pair of you. Jeela will approach you later, John, and teach you how to harness your abilities. After that, you will come and see me, and I will show you some of the basics. You have much power at your clawtips, and I want to ensure you know enough to not blow my world up when I go to my rest.'

'You created this world?' John said, stunned. 

'In part,' Parathallaxa admitted modestly. 'It was your grandmother, a very wise woman, who tempered my wilder ambitions. If not for her, this world would be quite a different place. Jeela will tell you more about her, if you wish, and Meghan, you can listen as well, for my mate is sister to the one from whom you are descended.'

Meghan blinked. "Then... that makes you my grandfather also?"

'A great-uncle, but I'll take the title of grandfather,' Parathallaxa conceded with another smile. 'You are both credits to your respective races, and I am so very pleased I am able to spend some time with you both.'

As they thanked him and left, Parathallaxa felt sadness mixed in with joy and pride. He was glad John had agreed to think the matter of proposal over for a little longer, for, despite what Eemris had reported, there still seemed to be a lingering sense of resentment deep in John's heart. Parathallaxa decided to ask Jeela to keep a close eye on John. The water-seeker dragon - so named because her kind had the ability to find water where it was thought none existed - had a good head on her shoulders, and a quirky sense of humour. If all else failed, a match between her and John could easily be arranged. 

As for Meghan, Parathallaxa was still at a loss as to alternatives for a mate for her should she decide not to accept John after all. But there was plenty of time, and the elder decided now was as good a time as any to snatch a quick nap. Holding on to his fading lifeforce was not easy, but he was determined to make sure his world would be left in good claws when he could hold on no longer.



© 2020 Kat


Author's Note

Kat
What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

15 Views
Added on August 7, 2020
Last Updated on August 7, 2020


Author

Kat
Kat

Geelong, Victoria, Australia



About
Welcome to my profile! I'm a 40-something who writes all kinds of interesting stories! I have a gorgeous black cat, and I love reading, knitting, and writing. Be sure to visit often; you never know wh.. more..

Writing
Kidnapped! Kidnapped!

A Chapter by Kat


Ransom Ransom

A Chapter by Kat


Dragon Dragon

A Chapter by Kat