Generic Memoir

Generic Memoir

A Story by Michael
"

"Once upon a time..."

"

“All things truly wicked start from innocence.” " Ernest Hemingway 


When I was a young boy living in Connecticut, I did not have a very tumultuous or challenging life. Things were handed to me readily as things usually are to children, and very few of my joys were ever truly confiscated. I did not understand the complexities of being and my existence was still graced by that pure-water wellspring in which we begin; rather than the gradual, jerky bucket we know now.

My first honeysuckle brush with maturity came and went in the form of a bunk bed. Its frame was of walnut wood material, and the head- and foot-boards were a fairly cheap wrought iron " it was welcomed into the house with a rich blue sea of American sports and chenille. When first making the transition to our new home, I insisted on the furnishing of my portion of it. I was naïve and lonely - work and disagreement kept my parents both at length and at odds - and wanted a brother. I did not know that my mother was thirty-five, that a disease lowered her chances of conception, nor that any pregnancy she could undergo would be of high-risk.

I had a large appetite for hope. Oftentimes, reality can only aggravate and whet a child’s hunger, and leaves the business of satisfaction to the imagination. Thus, I imagined a brother, and was contented. Every night, I would untidy the dressings of the bottom bunk, and every morning, make them. Throughout the day, I would play, and laugh, and learn, with my “sibling.” He would disappear for family gatherings, and hide away when I was not lonely, and he not needed " this I explained to myself to confirm his authenticity. I knew he was not there but infantile denial kept me happy nonetheless.

The introductory taste of euphoria’s nature swept down my throat early spring of the following year. At that point, my grandparents, who then and now live in Florida, had visited our home every year since I was born. My mother explained to me that this year would be different, however, and the other way around.

“No cause for alarm,” she said, “Just a minor change.”

I did not understand her tears, or the desperate haste with which we left.

My fantasies could only be as large as the trunk of our Subaru, and so my bed and spectral brother were left behind. The 1400 mile drive was an effective disillusionment, and the welcome mat of Hurricane Charlie baptized me into the world. This malheur I do not regret nor would I repeal, however, as it has left me zany, optimistic, and perfectly willing to walk in the rain.

© 2015 Michael


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Michael
I took some creative license with the truth for dramatic effect, so I suppose the genre would be better titled "Partially Reconstructed Memoir". If you read this, and wish to critique it, please do so; I would be happy for that. Thank you. Word count, 441 sans epigraph.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"my existence was still graced by that pure-water wellspring in which we begin; rather than the gradual, jerky bucket we know now." - micheal I loved this line -
I liked the wry tone of the entire piece too.
I think I would read more about this kid and his life.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ANTO

8 Years Ago

Ah, a man after my own heart - I hate to see a puddle of sauce left after the pasta has been devoure.. read more
Michael

8 Years Ago

That sounds like an ingenious idea. I shall try that next time. Aesthetics are a small price to pay .. read more
ANTO

8 Years Ago

my sentiments exactly. ;))



Reviews

Hi, I'm new to this site and reviewing so I'll do my best...but this was too wonderful not to comment on! The voice flowed so well and reminds me a lot of Gilead for some reason. Very wry over beautiful words. I loved this: "Oftentimes, reality can only aggravate and whet a child’s hunger, and leaves the business of satisfaction to the imagination." Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Michael

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much. Your words mean more than... well, words could say. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. .. read more
I loved it from the beginning, you got me hooked with the Hemingway quote then talking about your easy and innocent life. I think that we all have a part or parts in our lives where we gradually leave our innocence behind and get to know the reality of the world and it can suck, but it can also be beautiful. I love your last one, "This Malheur I do not regret nor would I repeal, however, as it has left me zany, optimistic, and perfectly willing to walk in the rain." It is a gorgeous use of not only diction but also symbolism. I don't know if this is on purpose but have you read a Farewell to Arms? I love the fact that you started with a Hemingway quote and ended it with the way Hemingway ended a Farewell to Arms, with the main character walking out of the hospital with his dead wife and child, reality just thrown in his face, out into the rain. Once again, I don't know if that was on purpose, but I really appreciated it. Finally I also have to say I loved the line "the introductory taste of euphoria's nature swept down my throat early spring of the following year." Amazing imagery! Okay I'll stop rambling now :P

Posted 8 Years Ago


Michael

8 Years Ago

Wow, thank you for this gorgeous review! I fell in love with Hemingway's poignant understatement and.. read more
Harley Sapphire

8 Years Ago

You're totally welcome, thank you for the great read! I would recommend reading a farewell to arms a.. read more
This is a first for me. A memoir of a perfectly ordinary upbringing is rare for a reason. How do you make something seemingly simple more interesting? Well, I think you have answered that question. The manipulation of words here is very effective. The tone has gravel to it, so that there is an edge on an otherwise well rounded life. At first I did not grasp the final paragraph. It took a few reads for your meaning to be clear. I think maybe it was the sentence structure. When I scrambled the words in my head it made more sense. Thanks for sharing this piece. Great work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Michael

8 Years Ago

Oh wow, thank you very much. Your comments are kind and insightful to a point that some of the thing.. read more
J.A. Marquez

8 Years Ago

You are a funny one. I wouldn't call you pretentious. You seem energetic, driven, a bit wry. All goo.. read more
Michael

8 Years Ago

Well, thank you! I try to keep all my traits in good order. I would be absolutely honored! It's exam.. read more
You describe this so well.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Michael

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
Thesecuts

8 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
Hi there,

You could develop this into a flash fiction piece very easily. I love the innocence here of youth and your relationship with your bed, and also the "friend" that became a sibling for you. I think all children at some age have these vivid images and pulses to be creative with it. Most people leave this behind as they grow older, but some people always have a little of this in their system. They talk to their inner voice and sometimes even answer--but it is endearing to hear about in your writing. I loved reading this. You have good structure and I think you could really make this strong with some revision. Some flash fiction is just under 1,000 words, and many people are interested in these stories because they can feature them easily for their readers. The readers like them because they can be read fast. In our world, everyone is short on time and patience. Thanks for sharing this moment in your life!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Michael

8 Years Ago

I see people rushing to and fro everywhere for reasons that are not apparent to me. My friend Irene .. read more
Josie E. Cook M. A.

8 Years Ago

Yes, I do think in those same circles--what is the rush?
You are welcome!
:)
"my existence was still graced by that pure-water wellspring in which we begin; rather than the gradual, jerky bucket we know now." - micheal I loved this line -
I liked the wry tone of the entire piece too.
I think I would read more about this kid and his life.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ANTO

8 Years Ago

Ah, a man after my own heart - I hate to see a puddle of sauce left after the pasta has been devoure.. read more
Michael

8 Years Ago

That sounds like an ingenious idea. I shall try that next time. Aesthetics are a small price to pay .. read more
ANTO

8 Years Ago

my sentiments exactly. ;))
Interesting. Not really a story, but a slice-of-life, and very well written.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 8, 2015
Last Updated on May 8, 2015
Tags: drama, generic, generalized, emotional, memoir, reminiscence, NHS, hemingway, ernest, change, metamorphosis, sibling, imagination, longing, desire, wistfulness, sorrow, naivete, extended metaphor, dog

Author

Michael
Michael

Fort Myers, FL



About
I don't write as much as I should given all of the self-characterization I base on it. Nor do I feel much anymore, except tired. I take a lot of naps and probably use too many semi-colons; hyphens, to.. more..

Writing
St. Josephine St. Josephine

A Story by Michael


Passacaglia Passacaglia

A Story by Michael


Hubris Hubris

A Poem by Michael



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..