Three Brides And A Brides Maid

Three Brides And A Brides Maid

A Story by KATHY SUE SILLS
"

Liz is the oldest of three sisters. Two are already married and the third one is planning her wedding. Will Liz always be a brides maid? or will she finally become a bride?

"

     Liz sat at the old oak table in her mom's kitchen listening to wedding plans yet again.  first it was Emily, then Megan, now Hannah.  Liz felt envious of her sisters.  Being the oldest of three sisters everyone had assumed she would marry first and have a child or two by now.  It appeared that everyone was wrong including herself.  She had wanted to be married at least by twenty-five, but here she was fastly approaching thirty-five and still single.

    

     Liz was half listening as they talked about brides maid dresses.  She had two good brides maid dresses from the two previous weddings.  Why could she not just  wear one of them? She knew better than to voice her opinion but it spilled from her lips.  "Why can't I just wear one that I already have?"

 

     There was stunned silence.  Hannah looked appalled.  Emily and Megan just shook their heads.  Mom patted her hand and said, "You'll understand one day."

 

     "It was just a suggestion," Liz muttered as she abruptly got up to do the dishes.

 

     Liz looked at her sisters as they took up the conversation where they had left off.  Emily, Megan and Hannah knew more about men then she did.  She was the oldest.  She was supposed to be the one telling them about love, kisses and sex, not the other way around.

 

     Liz looked out the window above the sink.  Mom's back yard garden was in full bloom.  Flowers of all kinds scented the air.  Roses, pitunias, marigolds, mums and even honeysuckles blossomed everywhere.  Hannah's wedding was to take  place in this  magnificent garden.

 

     Hannah walked up behind Liz.  "This is my wedding," she stated.

 

     Liz closed her eyes.  She should have known Hannah wouldn't let it go.  "Yes I believe we all know that," Liz spoke softly and calmly.

 

     Hannah sounded almost down to tears.  "I want it to be memorable."

 

     "Honestly Liz, you don't have a romantic bone in your body," Emily said, setting  her glass in the sink.

 

     "I'm beginning to wonder about you," Megan chimed in.

 

     Liz didn't respond to their words.  She didn't want them to see how much they had affected her.  Instead she focused on the view of the garden.  Emily"s wedding had took place in the early spring when the flowers had just started to bud.  The birds had serenaded as the wedding took place.  Emily in her simple knee- length wedding  dress had been breath- taking.

 

     Megan's wedding had taken place in the summer time when the flowers had been in full bloom.  Megan in her sleeveless wedding dress and a bright smile had been stunning.  Each wedding had been exquisite  in there on way.  Liz was sure that Hannah"s wedding wouldn't be any less.

 

     Liz recalled at one of the weddings she had heard one of the groomsman  say, "Once a groomsman always a groomsman."  Liz had known exactly how he felt.  She believed he may have been the photographer at Megan's wedding.  She couldn't remember his name.

 

     Liz knew how she wanted her wedding to be.  Of course it would take place in the garden around the Fourth Of July.  The pool would be filled with assorted flowers floating around as a fountain in the center of the pool spattered up water.  Her wedding dress would be from a fairy tale, something magical in its on way.  There would be a fire works display as the bride and groom kissed, and one going off inside her as well.

 

     Liz sighed  She could  visualize it now, another sigh escaped her lips.

 

     "Are you o:k?" Hannah asked.

 

     She turned and gave her sister a smile, one she didn't feel.  "I was just thinking how gorgeous your wedding will be no matter what brides maid dresses you choose.

 

     Emily and Megan came around  and they all hugged.  Liz sighed inwardly.  Mom had wonderful dad, Emily had funny Craig, Megan had suportive Ben and Hannah brainy phil.  She only wished she had her someone.

 

     Liz went back over to the window and watched as the men set the chairs out in random places.  Hannah didn't want the chairs set in rows.  She wanted them placed here and there so all her friends and family could have a perfect  view of the garden, and of course  of her walking down the red carpet which had been rolled out just for her.

 

     "Liz, liz, Liz."  "Hannah finally walked up behind Liz and gave her a gentle shove.

 

     Liz jumped.  "What?"

 

     Hannah exhaled.  "I hope I'm not imposing on you," she said.  "But did you get the photographer in line?"

 

     Liz threw her hand over her mouth.  Dread filled her as she turned toward her sister.  "I totally forgot."

 

     Hannah's face turned beet red.  "You what?" She turned her back on Liz and counted to ten, then turned back around.  "No, didn't help.  How could you?"  She reprimanded.

 

     Megan walked up and stood between the two sisters.  "Don't worry," she told Hannah.   "I know this great photographer, his name is Jonathan Sullivan, he was the one Emily had gotten for me, and he was the groomsman in her wedding.

 

     Hannah began to relax.  "I should have let you or Emily take care of it," she said, throwing Liz a dirty look as she followed Emily and Megan to the phone to call Jonathan.

 

     Liz busted out  crying and fled the room.  Her mother followed her up the stairs.  Liz entered her old room and threw herself across the bed.  Her  mother came in and sit down behind her.  Her mother didn't speak, she just stroked Liz's hair until her sobbing had quieted.

 

     "I'm sorry mom," Liz said wiping her eyes.  She caught a glimpse  of  the garden through the window as she stood, it almost brought her down to tears all over again.

 

     "Honey, what's the problem?" Her mother asked.

 

     Liz tried to gather her thoughts.  "I'm always going to be a bride's maid.  I'm beginning to wonder if there's anyone for me," she said as she choked back a sob.

 

     "When you least expect it someone will sweep  you off your feet," her mother said.

 

     The door bell rung.  "That will probably be Jonathan," said Liz.  The door bell rung again and again.  "I'll go get it," she said to her mother.  "I better see if I can go make amends anyways."

 

     Liz ran down the stairs.  she looked around the room.  Emily was out back helping set up the tables for the reception, and Megan was on the phone making sure the french silk vanilla wedding cake would be delivered on time.  Liz had suggested to Hannah to have a doubble dutch chocolate wedding cake, but you would think she had suggested something awful.  Liz opened the door, she let out a light sigh.  "Hi," she managed to say.

 

     Jonathan stared at Liz a minute before speaking.  "I hope you're not the bride," he said.

 

     "no, unfortunately not."  Liz invited him in.  Just a bride's maid once again," she stated.  The other sisters entered the room discussing finger foods, they stopped talking when they saw Jonathan and Liz standing there starring at one another.

 

     "I'm glad you're not the bride," Jonathan finally spoke up and said.

 

     Liz looked hurt.  "And why is that ? I don't look like bride material?"  She fumed.

 

     "Oh, I'm sorry.  I just mean if you were the bride  I couldn't ask you out," Jonathan said smiling.

 

     Liz felt flushed.  "Oh."  She backed up toward Hannah.  "You better like his work," she said.

 

     All three sisters were smiling from ear to ear.  Liz's mother had that I told you so look on her wrinkled face.

 

     "I know this great place that serves double dutch chocolate cake," Jonathan told Liz.  "How about me and you go have some after I finish up here?"

 

     Liz glanced over her shoulders at her sisters.  "I would love too.  Double dutch is my favorite."

 

     Liz followed them to the living room.  She felt like maybe her time was coming, she would finally be a bride  and not a bride's maid.  She didn't know it,  but Jonathan was thinking something similar, he would finally be the groom and not the groomsman.

 

ALSO WRITTEN BY: STORIESTOTELL  My Sister!

 

    

 

    

 

© 2011 KATHY SUE SILLS


Author's Note

KATHY SUE SILLS
Hope you enjoy! Please let us know if you see any mistakes, been editing this story for about two weeks, but could have missed some!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Who can resist a happy ending! I really love you and your sister's stories! These stories have brightened up my day! Thank you for sharing your talent with us!

Posted 13 Years Ago


good job. I loved it. Keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


There are still a few grammatical and spelling errors. Go back over it once more. I'm also a bit confused. You say that she's the oldest of three sisters, then I you give me three names (Hannah, Emily, Megan).

Otherwise I love this poem. I'm one of four sisters and I can tell you sometimes your sister is the worst person in the world and sometimes she's the best. This story captured that perfectly.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm glad fate chose to be kind. :) I did notice an error in the sentence,
"I just mean if you was the bride..." should be if you were the bride. Cute story. You and your sister are writing a lot of different genres. It's great that you work so well together!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lovely story. Good insight into sibling rivalry and expectations. A couple of errors perhaps you might like to correct: 1) Took up the conversation WHERE they had left off and 2) MARIGOLDS and 3) did you mean `mums and honeysuckle?' I hadn't intended to read longer items as I don't have a lot of time but you certainly make it worthwhile and interesting reading.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Girls will be girls lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


Loved this story. What an excellent job you did. I lost count of how many times I've been a bridesmaid. Those obnoxious dresses they make us wear. What were they thinking? Awesome story!

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is really intuitive; it explains the dynamics of the conflicts of sibling rivalry within the same genders - a race to the altar had nothing to with love for the groom just beating blood...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Another fine collaboration! Your stories have such a real, yet very innocent sweetness about them - not a sugary sweetness, but just light and fun. There are still the grammar errors, but they are getting less and less. Keep learning and studying writing basics and they'll clear up in no time!

Great job, you two!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Bless! i really really like this story, so thought out and i could see it all in my head! well done to the both of you!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

368 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 23, 2010
Last Updated on January 6, 2011
Tags: sisters, marraige, romance

Author

KATHY SUE SILLS
KATHY SUE SILLS

Harrisville, MS



About
check out! www.facebook.com/twinoneandtwintwo Hello writercafe friends. I've been on this site for a few years! I stopped writing for a while, and trying to get back into it! When I joined this sit.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Knock, Knock Knock, Knock

A Chapter by luciddreamer